philosophy

is it a joke, or just a sneaky way to let your mind wander?
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ask Plato, he's really good at these brain teasers.
Ooooor stupid question.
The beautiful thing is that there are no wrong answers....
"Philosophy, as I shall understand the word, is something intermediate between theology and science. Like theology, it consists of speculations on matters as to which definite knowledge has, so far, been unascertainable; but like science, it appeals to human reason rather than to authority, whether that of tradition or that of revelation. All definite knowledge—so I should contend—belongs to science; all dogma as to what surpasses definite knowledge belongs to theology. But between theology and science there is a No Man’s Land, exposed to attack from both sides; this No Man’s Land is philosophy."  Bertrand Russell, History of Western Philosophy

I've been becoming more and more interested in philosophy as of recently.  I started out learning about Stoicism from Ancient Roman thought, and realized that there's a lot philosophy can do to add value to my life.  Definitely not a joke in my opinion!  :)
I like to think of philosophy as a sketchbook.  It's filled with concepts and ideas that don't exactly have a definite answer or solve the problem.  The established works of art would be science, math, psychology, language, etc.  I believe it's from philosophy or philosophical concepts that we're able to develop said established work.