Can you prove the bible

Is it possible? Many of the stories in the bible seem straight of a fairytale. Is it possible to prove any event that has happen in the bible true? If so give examples
Comments284
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think its not important if they were true of fairy, what matters is to learn the good in them and using it in your life
Tacitus, a Roman historical writer, references Jesus's crucifixion. He lived 300 years after Jesus is believed to have been born.

Otherwise, you're better off looking towards Biblical history scholars for answers, this an art website.
You can't prove something that can not be definively quantified.
you cant prove it, you only believe it if you feel and want, because after all, who can prove it anything that has written in any book regarding to something that happened befor you were born? will they show you a picture or a video? everithing can be faken or falsified, most likely everithing you have read from books you believed without questiong, because it seemed irrelevant to life, but many poeple questions if the bible is true or not, because is much relevant to life. life wont change much if darwin thought the man came from an ape, but if God created life as the bible tells, many poeple certainly is burning in hell, much likely darwin too... and well, many others are in heaven , which is a much more delightfull thought
The tales I know Christians claim to have actual evidences?

We are sinned because we grow old & die.

The Jews were slaves to the Egyptians because Pyramids existed. To be fair, there were some records saying the Jews did lived in Egypt but not as slaves so whatever.

Sodom & Gomorrah because there's a salt pillar vaguely resembled a woman.

The 10 disasters in Egypt happened because there's a record saying the Nile did turned red. Plenty of theories & speculations around this so I'm not gonna bother.

Moses did spread the red sea because there's a stone mark under the sea because apparently the Jews have time to put a mark under the sea during a hot pursuit.

Moses did make it rain breads. I think the bread is called "Mana". Oh here's a link from wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manna
I don't think it's a bread but whatever.

David because David.

Solomon because Solomon.

Fall of Babylon did happened because Babylon existed.

The 10 Commandments because Sinai.

Gabriel gave a rock to Abraham. The Muslims can support this claim because Mecca.

Jesus came back from the dead, what happens afterward seems to have many tales & interpretations. Whichever 1 is true, they claim the shroud of Turin to be the evidence of this. I'd say the Christians will stick to whatever that ends with "Then Jesus literally rise up into the sky" over "Jesus went to spend the rest of their days somewhere else".

Just about all the ones I could remember.

Here I can see lakes of fire as she whispered to me....
Right now, even what we see and are true, cannot be all proven.
How can we prove the past?
But there are some evidence of the things said in Bible, although we could never say "that's the one" since no one of the past is alive today to tell us.
If God is true and alive, He will be the only one to give you the answer.
If there is an afterlife, you will have your chance to hear that (maybe), but it will also be too late right?

But I can tell you one thing, the story which seems straight of a fairy tale, I lived one myself, so fairy tale can be true.
(I am not saying I believe in fairies, elves and all that)
I am talking about the miracles. Moses story is miracle, Jesus is about miracle and many others are also.
Miracle = work of God (spirit), not of human. 
I lived the miracle, but I cannot prove to you. Because it is in the past and I have no physical proof (video for example) to show you.
You only have my words. And it wasn't an hallucination, because I was in danger to lose my fingers (and I wont be drawing by now) that day if God didn't exist.
Do you think I will lie when I believe in a God who sees all thing and will judge me on the last day?
I believe the people in the Bible who believed in the same God to be rescued.
And most of all, I believe in the God who saved me and all of us who believe in Christ.
thats a really good answer
That the Bible originated in the mind of God makes it not only unique among all books, it is unique among all the treasures on earth. President Abraham Lincoln appropriately referred to the Bible as “the best gift God has given to man.” Indeed it is. It reveals God’s eternal plan of redeeming the fallen human race. Yet even though billions of copies of it have been distributed throughout the world, many continue to question its truth. Is the Bible a book of mythology, or is it the true, inspired Word of God? This question is of the greatest importance to every person, whether they know it or not.

Many religious texts claim to convey a divine message. The Bible, however, stands alone in thatGod left absolutely no room for doubt as to whether or not this is His written Word. If anyone undertakes an honest effort to examine the facts, he will find the Bible most assuredly has God’s signature all through it. The very same mouth that spoke all of creation into existence also gave us the Bible.

Read more:www.gotquestions.org/Bible-myt…
i should block you
the thing is, when humans write something they express that writing within the confines of their interpretation of outside stimuli.  This can be curved by many influences as well.  Also the bible has been copied a number of times.  

So one must question the following but certainly not limited to: 
what was lost in translation
has there been any manipulation in the interpretation over time
how did people view things when the bible was written vs how we view things now.
was there exaggerations

how can we know specifically if what is written in the bible we know of today is true 100% in every way?  well I am not sure it matters if we can or not.  The bible is about belief, no matter what message you get from it or what truth it is still about belief, so you can choose to believe what it says, hold its morals to you or not.  it is up to you because honestly you could pick and pick and speculate over meanings and point of views all day long and never get any closer to answering your question.

I personally see a message of love in the bible, and I believe in being what I consider a a person of morals and doing what I feel is right.  *examples, do not cheat, do not lie, help others, show others the kindness you would like to be shown,  have compassion, take the higher road when it comes to fighting.  There is much more to being a good person I think you get the point though :D, at least this is how I view it.

take care,
J
A teeny weeny bit of it did happen, but the vast majority of the bible 'is' made up from fairy tales... even the original written authors doubted their credibility!
It's been scientifically proven. Please get over it!
Correct! It has been scientifically proven to be made up almost entirely of bullshit, with only the odd bit of twisted truth thrown in!
You just need to get over it...that simple.
I have nothing to get over, it's the Christites that need to get over the fact that they've been duped for so many years.
Do a little research on Roman historian Tacitus.

You have a secular source referring to Christ's crucifixion, and an anti-Biblical source at that.
Okay, so we have an indication that Jesus may have been a real person and was crucified. So what? This doesn't prove Jesus' teachings were moral, wise or accurate; it doesn't prove he could perform miracles; it doesn't prove he rose from the dead; it doesn't prove he was born of a virgin; it doesn't prove he was a demigod/avatar; it doesn't prove he fulfilled any prophecies or made any of his own; it doesn't prove any of the events known exclusively from the Gospels (a census across the entire Roman Empire; King Herod's order of mass infanticide; an hour-long solar eclipse; a zombie march in Jerusalem; etc.); it doesn't prove the scientific and historical accuracy of the Bible as a whole; nor does it prove that God is real.

Every individual claim must stand or fall on it's own merits; they don't come together as a packaged deal.
"Every individual claim must stand or fall on it's own merits; they don't come together as a packaged deal."

^ That's not how evidence works at all. Plus, there can be no question that Jesus was a real person, you can question whether or not he was God, but you can't question whether or not he existed when there's more proof for that than there is of Nero existing.

Here are a few circumstantial evidences for the resurrection of Jesus...
Yes, it is. Just because you've vindicated one claim, it does not mean you've vindicated others simply by association, especially if they're particularly extraordinary or frankly outlandish.

(quoting my stuff from another topic)

Since it’s just the resurrection, I’ll give you five pieces of circumstantial evidence that point to the resurrection of Jesus, and briefly delve into some detail on each of them. I’ll pretty much be quoting and paraphrasing the book here.

Exhibit 1 - The Disciples died for their beliefs.

When Jesus was crucified, his followers were discouraged and depressed. They no longer had confidence that Jesus had been sent by God, because they believed anyone crucified was accursed by God. They also had been taught that God would not let his Messiah suffer death. So they dispersed. The Jesus movement was all but stopped in its tracks.

Then, after a short period of time, we see them abandoining their occupatioins, regathering, and committing themselves to spreading a very specific message - that Jesus Christ was the Messiah of God who died on a cross, had returned to life, and was seen alive by them.

They were willing to spend the rest of their lives proclaiming this, without any payoff from a human point of view. It’s not as though there were a mansion awaiting them on the Mediterranean. They faced a life of hardship. They often went without food, slept exposed to the elements, were ridiculed, beaten, imprisoned, and finally, most of them were executed in torturous ways.

For what? For good intentions? No, because they were convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that they had seen Jesus Christ alive from the dead. There is no other adequate explanation for the behavior demonstrated by the disciples. When you’ve got eleven credible people with no ulterior motives, with nothing to gain and a lot to lose, who all agree they observed something with their own eyes, you’ve got something that is hard to simply explain away.

People will die for their religious beliefs if they sincerely believe they’re true, but people won’t die for their religious beliefs if they know their beliefs are false. Sure, some Muslims are also willing to die for their beliefs, but they can never truly know if their belief is true or not. The Disciples on the other hand were willing to die for something they had seen with their own eyes and touched with their own hands.

Exhibit 2 - The Conversion of the Skeptics

Another piece of circumstantial evidence is that there were hardened skeptics who didn’t believe in Jesus before his crucifixion, and were to some degree dead-set against Christianity, who turned and adopted the Christian faith after Jesus’ death. There isn’t a good reason for this apart from them having experienced the resurrected Christ.

James, the brother of Jesus, for example was embaressed of Jesus. The gospels tell us that Jesus’ family was embarrassed by what he was claiming to be. They didn’t believe in him and even confronted him. In ancient Judaism, it was highly embarrassing for a rabbi’s family not to accept him. Therefore the gospel writers would have no motive for fabricating this skepticism if it weren’t true.

Later, the historian Josephus tells us that James, the brother of Jesus, who was the leader of the Jerusalem church, was stoned to death because of his belief in his brother. Why did his life change? Paul tells us, that the resurrected Jesus appeared to him. There’s no other explanation.

Paul is another example, as a Pharisee, he hated anything that disrupted the traditions of the Jewish people. To him, this new countermovement called Christianity would have been the height of disloyalty. In fact, he worked out his frustration by executing Christians when he had a chance. And then suddenly he not only eases off of Christians, but joins their movement!

Biblical scholars all agree that Paul wrote Galations, and in it, he explained what caused him to take a 180 degree turn and become the chief proponent of the Christian faith. By his own pen he says he saw the risen Christ and heard Christ appoint him to be one of his followers.

Exhibit 3 - Changes to Key Social Structures

In order to understand this category of proof, you need some background information. At the time of Jesus, the Jews had been persecuted for seven hundred years by the Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, and now by the Greeks and the Romans. Many Jews had been scattered and lived as captives in these other nations.

However, we still see Jews today, but we don’t see Hittites, Perizzites, Ammonites, Assyrians, Persians, Babylonians, or other people groups who had been living in that time. Why? Because those people got captured by other nations, intermarried, and lost their national identity.

Why didn’t that happen to the Jews? Because the things that made the Jews, well, Jews - the social structures that gave them their national identity - were unbelievably important to them. The Jews would pass these structures down to their children, celebrated them in synagogue meetings every Sabbath, and reinforce them with their rituals, because they knew if they didn’t, there soon would be no Jews left. They ld be assimilated into the cultures that captured them.

Another reason that these social institutions were so important, is because the Jews believed that the institutions were entrusted to them by God. They believed that to abandon such things would be to risk their souls being damned to hell after death.

So up comes a rabbi named Jesus from a lower-class region. He teaches for three years, gathers a following of lower- and middle class people, gets in trouble with the authorities and gets crucified along with thirty thousand other Jewish men who are executed during this time period.

But five weeks after he’s crucified, over ten thousand Jews are following him and claiming that he is the initiator of a new religion. They’re even willing to give up or alter all five of the social institutions that they’ve been taught since childhood have great importance, both socially and theologically.

The change seen here is far from minor, it’s huge! To put it into the perspective of a modern peron’s mind, think of your most cherished belief. Is it that your parent are good people? That murder is immoral? Think about how radical something must be to get you to change or give up that belief - that’s how significant it was to the Jews of that day. Not just one or two either, entire communities of people abandoned their beliefs, even though they were jeopardizing their own well being, and damnation if they were wrong.

What’s more, they weren’t doing this because they had come upon better ideas. They were VERY content with the old traditions. They gave them up because they had seen miracles that they could not explain and that forced them to see the world another way. Traditions typically don’t matter much to us “Western Individualists”, but these people did value tradition. They lived in a period where the older something was, the better. In fact, for them the farther back they could trace an idea, the more likely it was to be true. so to come up with new ideas was the opposite of the way we are today.

These changes to the Jewish social structures were not just minor adjustments that were casually made, there were absolutely monumental. This was nothing short of a social earthquake, and earthquakes don’t happen without a cause.

Exhibit 4 - Communion and Baptism

(I’m going to simply write what is in the book verbatim here, this section is difficult to paraphrase, plus it’s short)

Moreland pointed to the emergence of the sacraments of Communion and baptism in the early church as more circumstantial evidence that the Resurrection is true. But I had some doubts.

“Isn’t it only natural that religions would create their own rituals and practices?” I asked. “All religions have them. So how does that prove anything about the Resurrection?”

“Ah, but let’s consider Communtion for a moment,” he replied. “What’s odd is that these early followers of Jesus didn’t get together to celebrate his teachings or how wonderful he was. They came together regularly to have a celebration meal for one reason: to remember that Jesus had been publicly slaughtered in a grotesque and humiliating way.”

“Think about this in modern terms. If a group of people loved John F. Kennedy, they might meet regularly to remember his confrontation with Russia, his promotion of civil rights, and his charismatic personality. But they’re not going to celebrate the fact that Lee Harvey Oswald murdered him!”

“However, that’s analogous to what these early Christians did. How do you explain that? I explain it this way: they realized that Jesus’ slaying was a necessary step to a much greater victory. His murder wasn’t the last word - the last word was that he had conquered death for all of us by rising from the dead. They celebrated his execution because they were convinced that they had seen him alive from the tomb.”

“What about baptisim?” I asked.

“The early church adopted a form of baptism from their Jewish upbringing, called proselyte baptism. When Gentiles wanted to take upon themselves the laws of Moses, the Jews would baptisze those Gentiles in the authority of the God of Israel. But in the New Testament, people were baptized in the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit - which meant that they had elevated Jesus to the full status of God.”

“Not only that, but baptism was a celebration of the death of Jesus, just as Communion was. By going under the water, you’re celebrating his death, and by being brought out of the water, you’re celebrating the fact that Jesus was raised to newness of life.”

I interrupted by saying, “You’re assuming that these sacraments weren’t merely adopted from the so-called mystery religions.”

“And for good reasons,” Moreland replied. “First, there’s no hard evidence that any mystery religion believed in gods dying and rising, until after the New Testament period. So if there was any borrowing, they borrowed from Christianity.”

“Second, the practice of baptism came from Jewish customs, and the Jews were very much against allowing Gentile or Greek ideas to affect their worship. And third, these two sacraments can be dated back to the earliest Christian community - too early for the influence of any other religions to creep into the understanding of what Jesus’ death meant.”

Exhibit 5 - The Emergence of the Church

(I’m starting to get tired, but this section is short, so I’ll just direct quote it as well.)

Moreland prefaced this final point by saing, “When a major cultural shift takes place, historians always look for events that can explain it.”

“Yes, that makes sense,” I said.

“Okay, then let’s think about the start of the Christian church. There’s no question it began shortly after the death of Jesus and spread so rapidly that within a period of maybe twenty years it had even reached Caesar’s palace in Rome. Not only that, but this movement triumphed over a number of competeing ideologies and eventually overwhelmed the entire Roman empire.”

“Now, if you were a Martian looking down on the first century, would you think Christianity or the Roman Empire would survive? You probably wouldn’t put money on a ragtag group of people whose primary message was that a crucified carpenter from an obscure village had triumphed over the grave. Yet it was so successful that today we name our children Peter and Paul and our dogs Caesar and Nero!

“I like the way C. F. D. Moule, the Cambridge New Testament scholar, put it: ‘If the coming into existence of the Nazarenes, a phenomenon undeniably attested by the New Testament, rips a great hole in history, a hole the size and shape of Resurrection, what does the secular historian propose to stop it up with?’”

While this wasn’t Moreland’s strongest point, since other religious movements have popped up and spread too, circumstantial evidence doesn’t rely solely on the strength of one fact. Rather it’s the cumulative weight of several facts that together tip the scales toward a conclusion. And to Moreland, the conclusion is clear.

“Look,” he said, “if someone wants to consider this circumstantial evidence and reach the verdict that Jesus did not rise from the dead - fair enough. But they’ve got to offer an alternative explanation that is plausible for all five of these facts.

“Remember, there’s no doubt these facts are true; what’s in question is how to explain them. And I’ve never seen a better explanation than the Resurrection.”

I mentally played back the tape of circumstantial evidence: the willingness of the disciples to die for what they experienced; the revolutionized lives of skeptics like James and Saul; the radical changes in social structures cherished by Jews for centuries; the sudden appearance of Coummunion and baptism; and the amazing emergence and growth of the church.

Given all five uncontested facts, I had to agree with Moreland that the Resurrection, and only the Resurrection, makes sense of them all. No other explanantion comes close. And that’s just the indirect evidence. When I added the potent proof of the empty tomb of Jesus, and the convicing testimony about his post-Resurrection appearances, the case seemed conclusive.

That was also the assessment of Sir Lionel Luckhoo, the brilliant and savvy attorney whose asounding 245 consecutive murder acquittals earned him a place in The Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s most successful lawyer. Knighted wtice by Queen Elizabeth, this former justice and diplomat subjected the historical facts about the Resurrection to his own rigorous analysis for several years before declaring, “I say unequivocally that the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ is so overwhelming that it compels acceptance by proof which leaves absolutely no room for doubt.”

How do you know Jesus' disciples were actually real people and not just characters made up for the story narrative? Same thing about Jesus' brother James.

Paul converted because of a dream he had involving Jesus. Notice how visions of prophets tend to sound a lot like dreams and hallucinations?

The Jews did quite a bit of conquering and slaughtering of their own, and once Christians came into power thanks to Constantine, they almost immediately followed suite. That's why the competition doesn't exist anymore; they've all either been assimilated or killed off outright.

No, we don't have to propose an alternative to the resurrection, because what's being proposed in the first place hinges on a belief in magic. That's enough to dismiss it outright.

So you trust the words of a lawyer (who is biased by profession) over those of most historians (who are not allowed to be biased)?