{ ask a muslim }

with ramadan - a religious month of self-improvement - just beginning, i figured a pretty good goal would be to improve my understanding of my religion. after all, with islamophobia so prominent worldwide, it is detrimental to know every detail so i can answer anyone who comes to me with questions.

so ask away! stump me, send me researching, or let me clear up some misunderstandings. feel free to ask about me as a muslim personally or about the religion as whole. anything you may be confused/angry about, don't even hesitate, just post. 

im impossible to offend. i want to answer your questions. 

go for it!
Comments386
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Do you - personally - respect other religion? Do you consider yourself or your parents/friends whatever as dogmatic, do you think it's healthy? Do you think islam is the only religion that people should believe? Thank you for you answers! :) We have it quite hard here with muslims in our country, so I'm curious. I want to believe badly that there are muslims who can respect others :(
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VjVq… What do you think about this ISIL video?
As a muslim, is it true that you cannot physically touch another person (like, of the opposite sex) if he is not related to you (like, not even handshaking?)?
Handshaking is not encouraged but we are not told to never do it.
Good to know. :)
anything else? :)
Does being hijab means no makeup, jewelries and the like?
There is no force in Islam, we can chose what we want to do and what we don't. The Quran and Hadith are open to interpretation and we are to follow what we think they tell us to.
So do you hate Jews or just the policies of the Israeli Government?
We don't hate jews. we do not agree with some of their policies is all.
Jews back then(400something years ago) were usually moneylenders and Islam does not allow usury. U cannot convert to Judaism, why? Back in the time of the prophet, pbuh, Jews caused major strides in yathrib(madina). Etc.
You CAN convert to Judaism.
You just need to:
*Be sincere about it, and you ARE being discouraged a few times initially.
*Do it for ONE and ONLY reason - to serve God better (and even then there's always the Seven Noahide Laws for NON-Jews); NO other reason qualifies, especially nothing "personal" like in order to marry a Jew.
*Do it under a true "Orthodox" Rabbi(s); that is, IF you want to REALLY become a Jew, not just to PRETEND being one.
*Lots of learning to go through, really - but this shouldn't stop those who qualify under the ABOVE sections anyways, lol.

Your "prophet" simply became an antisemite after being (very predictably, really) rejected by the contemporary Jews for NOT being a "prophet".
His further antisemitic actions and declarations rather PROVE them being RIGHT, after all.
I was under the impression u couldn't convert as all the Jews I know told me so. 
Possible reasons:
*They are unfortunately too ignorant of their own creed (sad, but quite often nowadays), OR they didn't like you personally (which is again a WRONG reason to say it this way).
*They thought you weren't sincere about it, so they didn't want to start that topic for serious (well, happens; I've met people who very obviously took their potential conversion a bit too lightly).
*They actually tried "discouraging" you like I've mentioned above, just did it a bit "too much", so you understood it as being impossible, rather than needing more determination on your part (most likely option, I guess).
View all replies
Thank you neither do I.. I just like to push the envelope....
Hola, my question is, would you consider Mohammed to be a perfect role model for mankind?
Muhammed (pbuh) is supposed to have been as ideal as a person could be in that day and age. But he was at no point flawless and his mistakes have been mentioned.
Can i ask, are his mistakes mentioned in the Hadith and condemned, or are people looking at the Hadith now and condemning his actions, because they are two different things, if they are condemned in the Hadith, or the Qu'ran, then could you give me a quote? Sorry if it's too much to ask, don't reply if it is :)
quran.com/80
He turns away from a blind and poor man and Allah scolds him for it.

quran.com/9/43
Another scold.

quran.com/41/6
Allah tells Muhammed to say "I'm human just like you"
In Quran 9:43, Allah is condemning Mohammed for being kind to hypocrites, he knows the hypocrites are making poor excuses but he chooses to accept their excuses so their hypocrisy is not revealed, but Allah corrects Mohammed for being too kind, it's not condemning something bad, it's condemning something kind.

For the blind man, Mohammed chose to ignore him because he interrupted him, but Allah says you shouldn't ignore him because he could be purified, and he may be seeking knowledge, That is Allah condemning an action of Mohammed. 

However, if we're speaking of blindness, one of Mohammed's closest friends/allies was Amr bin Um Maktum, and he was a blind man, at one point in the Hadith, it is revealed that "Not equal are those of the believers who sit (at home)", now when Amr bin um Maktum heard this, he was like, Mohammed? what about me, i am blind, i have to sit at home? and Mohammed then added to the verse "Except those who are disabled (by injury or are blind or lame..."

So here you can clearly see that the Hadith is influenced by man, and can not be inspired by God, in my opinion.

As for Quran 41-6, We are simply told Mohammed is human, and i am guessing we should infer from that, that Humans make mistakes? it is hardly a condemnation against the atrocities Mohammad took part in, it's like saying well Hitler is Human so it's ok.

Thank you for replying and peace :)
During the second war of Islam(I forgot its name) the Muslims started to celebrate prematurely without thanking God. The Quraish took advantage of this a and attacked. The Muslims lost that war.
That's the battle of Uhud i think, where the Meccans attacked Medina in retaliation for the battle of Badr, I'd say the reason the Muslims lost that battle was because they were outnumbered 50 to 1, not because of any sign from Allah, as far as i'm aware, Mohammed sent out some archers and they didn't stay in the position he told them to stay in. I don't see anything which condemns Mohammed or any mistake he made. 

Remember in the battle of Badr which preceded Uhud, they were only outnumbered 1 to 3, they were prepared for battle and had the power of surprise.

But thank you for replying, i appreciate it