Otaku vs Weeboo vs Wapanese: A word case study

At first you may all laugh at the title, cause sometimes these words are closely associated with an internet phenomenon.  I just recently got into internet fight about just the word Weeboo. In america so far, we take the words Otaku with pride even though in Japan its negative associated with anime fans that are so into anime that they are shutins from society and become anti social. And Idea channel has recently talked about this, because of the video, ME!ME!ME! (which I will never ever watch that again). For us, Otaku just mean a fandom of anime. But the whole focus on the conversation was on actually on the word weeboo, because the whole post was about tumblr quote saying weeboo starter package (which ment generation anime fan package like Bleach, Naruto, etc vs Attack on Titan).  Weeboo means your just an obsessive anime fan, to the point you start replacing Western words with Japanese and annoying everyone else, or what I got from the first five searches on google.  I simply said you shouldn't use the word Weeboo, and then everyone went crazy.

There was one so call expert who then proceed to make fun of me, and stating that there isn't a politcal derogatory history of weeboo, and it was basically a joke from 4chan. Everyone as well seem to give levels on where weeboo fits.  From know your meme, it actually was true, but he also didn't take in account that the Anon community distorted the original meaning and now it is associated with what we know today. He says that Know your meme and Urban dictionary is not an academic source.

Question
  • What do you think about these words?
  • Question to take out this is does then the history really matter in this situation? As in for this, because it was a prank to replace all the wapanese words into weeboo. Or how words change over time.
  • Do hurting words have different levels and do they matter? Everyone compared weeboo to other word is nothing to worried about.
I'm pretty curious cause I know many of you on DA are anime fans, and though this was an interesting change of discussion apart from the other forum that have to do with religion.

I still find Weeboo and Wapanese to be offensive. My take was basically it just not a word you would say to a person in public. Alot of the people said it was no big deal, but I though it was. It is a stereotype not every fan wants to be associated with. I don't annoy people with my fandom, but I do want it appreciated at least.
Comments48
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have a troll friend who is in a group of Otakus that basically fit the definition of obsessive and perverse anime fans.
Boredom probably drives my friend to be outright devious in spite of others. (most of them obsessively play Osu!...)
I think people overuse the terms. I'm also tired of seeing "otaku and proud" and stuff like that from teens who assume it just means "fan of anime." Ugh.

So I don't use it or weeaboo that much. Weeaboo doesn't seem as offensive to me for some reason.

I don't hear wapanese as much. It seems...really bad.
You don't hear wapanese most likely because of the replacement for weeaboo.
weeboobs = little boobies
I really don't know. I often identify myself as a weeaboo piece of trash, and take no offense in the word. I think wapanese is a bit... More..... Not politically correct, but I'm not an expert.
I've heard the term, "wanabenese" used before too.
I just recently heard the term Westaboo from Trailer drake. Its the same as Weeaboo except that your obsessed  with western things.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzz4d…
Thanks guys for all the great responses so far. I just notice though more topic poped up about weeboos from the anime expo group. And I think everyone is on the same page. 

Two of them again describing weeboos. One comparing a sports room where there is all sort of sport Wares, while other is the comparison of Otaku. Its an interesting though as well how society is acceptable to sport freaks, but sometimes or most, an otaku's room is not. Interesting comparison no?
scontent.fsjc1-3.fna.fbcdn.net…

Im realizing though Hikikomori and Otaku may not be the same thing. If you like you can check Gajin Goomba's video and I totally forgot his vids. Its a great resource if you want to understand culture. I trust him the best because has been studying Japanese culture and doing vids of it for awhile. Because of Otaku meaning house,  Otaku actually means fandom in ones home or something like that.  Hikikomori is more of the term for shut in then Otaku. Its just more negative again because of the Otaku Murders.

Check out the video if you want (and others because his cultural videos are rather intriguing):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5gD-v…
Otaku is often used as a social shut in. It doesn't have to mean a obsessed anime fan it can be any Japanese person who has a hobby and  isolated him or herself from the rest of society.
Otaku is sometimes used in Japan as an insult but it's pretty negative too because like it or not Japanese people who become obsessed with their hobbies and isolate themself from anyone else is a serious problem.  

Weeaboo is just a western fan who thinks anime is the best thing ever and thinks watching Anime makes them Japan experts This is more of an insult and most ''weeaboos'' end up not liking anime anymore or just becoming a ''normal'' fan if you will.
Weeboo means your just an obsessive anime fan, to the point you start replacing Western words with Japanese and annoying everyone else

It's SO douchy when people do that. Fuckin weebs.
Weeaboo started out as a substitute for Wapanese on 4chan, yes, but it doesn't mean you're an anime fan. It's for the particular sort of anime fan who thinks they're being clever by sprinkling their speech with Japanese words, and adopting a superficial veneer of pseudo-Japanese behavior. These are not "political" terms; they're the equivalent of schoolyard taunts and it's silly to make too much of them. Might as well analyze "neener-neener-neener" for subtext.
As I understand it, weeboo and wapaneese were created specifically for the purpose of insulting people, so of course they are going to be insulting--that is their point. Otaku might not be a compliment in Japanese, but was used by English speaking anime fans to just describe someone who liked anime, without the embarrassing obsession being required.

It can be a hurtful word simply because it is used that way, and getting upset over being called something isn't always the most rational of human emotions. (I remember getting really upset in grade school over being told that I was too tall, and they somehow managed to make that really hurtful) But at the end of the day, having a weird but harmless hobby that you are a little too into is hardly the worst thing you can be called.
As I understand it, its just an ignorance and stereotype. Weeboo and Otakus are just stereotypes that exist, but not everyone wants to be that 24 hours a day.
They are, and like most vague insults, they don't mean very much. Last I checked, there wasn't DSM style criterion for being declared a weeaboo =)
Heh. Me!Me!Me! was something else.(Haven't watched it again neither since the first time) I hardly here otaku anymore, and this is the first time I heard wapanese, but weebo I started hearing earlier this year and it's growing like an annoying weed. I get the term but the way people are throwing it around is ugh. Say just a small thing about anime and suddenly your classified as a weeabo.
And a little off topic noob is spreading like a wildfire too. :angry: 
Hey King Jion Wat up!

Me!Me!Me! is definately not my thing cause I don't like erotica or art that tries to turn me on. I just happen to come across it because of Youtube react and then Idea channel talks about it.
Heya.
I kept hearing about Me!Me!Me! through word of mouth and watched it. While it is disturbing,
I found it more tolerable to watch than Smile HD.(Never times 100 will i watch that again)
I've honestly felt sick to my stomach watching it. First video on youtube I
had to look away more than once. It wasn't so much the gore but the song that went with it.
To me, you're all weebs.
Thanks for prooving my point :). Name calling is not nice.
In my life...

Weaboo is not about someone who freaking love Anime...
But someone who far too obsessed... for short I called it "weebs"

Weebs also word used even to artist... someone who just post so many WIP and unfinished... for example
Weebs also affect online gaming
Weebs also effect graphic design
Weebs also affect every aspect of lifestyle, you can't avoid it!

But yeah... the keyword here is "obsessed"

Since it's about Anime...

Weaboo it's about manner, obsessed with fandom, waifus, and how they react it...
Weaboo tend to react over about one thing... too obsssed...
Compairng this and that, who is strongest...

So weaboo is someone who over obsessed with someting... and produced nothing...

Weaboo from what I see is same as Fanboy
It has negative meaning... offensive

Otaku?
well, it just identity, to someone who loves Anime, Otaku is... yeah... normal...
But for other people who don't loves anime,
"You are Otaku!" has same meaning as, "You are weebs"
Hmm, I never hear of it outside of the anime community, cause you know all the definition points to anime fan stereotype.

It could make sense because originally weeboo had no connotations with Japanese, it was from a comic call perry bible. Though 4chan as a prank is to thank for that, and then as a joke they replace every instance of Wapanese to Weeboo. Then on the Anon community, they distorted it so much that it became synonymous with Wapanese.
It happens around me perhaps...
You say it Fanboy for outside anime, we still say weaboo...

whatever it called, the-over-obsessive manner is disgusting
Otaku- anime shut in nerd who is often a pervert and has no life outside of anime.
Praised for some reason in America- mostly associated male, for the bad type. can also be female- many male otaku forget women exist.

Actually Otaku does not mean anime fan it still means hard core obsession.

An anime fan means anime fan.

Weeaboo- Anime fans, more particularly anime noobs that know jack about anime or manga in general and uses it as a reference to praise japan and Japanese people. Often uses Japanese language bits they picked up for their fanfics to make it feel more "authentic" while knowing nothing about context or actual culture. A lot of female otaku that like Kawaii are often pushed under this mat. Reserved for everyone. Despite what people think of the words many female anime fans admit to being a weeaboo at least on occasion and they don't care. There's a culture in it now that brings back nostalgia to the days when you didn't know what you were doing.  

Wapanese- another western term for weeaboo that takes the word back away from anime because you don't need anime to be weird about praising japan. People that love japan, think they're Japanese when they aren't and it's the best country ever. Often they obsessively study japan and want to live there.
Their knowledge of subjects usually gets the best of them since almost none of them has actually met or been pen pals with Japanese people and they often refuse the culture shortly after stepping off the plane as soon as they get to see the culture in action.

Though there's nothing wrong with  a hobby, or learning a language or culture there's ways about presenting it and using it.
Great start for defining terms.

Its praised only because Otaku was simplified to fan. Just how alot of americans tend to simplfy some definitions for their anime fandom. Obviously it isn't a direct translation or meaning.

You can thank 4chan for Weeboo and Wapanese pretty much.