Personal Work Ethic

My brother and I share a few philosophies in regards to work. Work ethic is vital and being sound of mind is just as essential as perfecting your skills. Here are two such philosophies that I'd like to share with you:

1.) You're only as good as your last job!

Something to remember when you do what you love for a living. Sometimes you have bad days and you want to take a step back or go back to the drawing board but so long as you do yourself justice in the eyes of your employers/clients, you'll never have to worry about a bad reputation. Make sure you're maintaining your standards when you don't feel like you're going from strength to strength.

2.) There will always be someone better than you!

Accept it. Don't try to beat others at their own game because you're always going to be out of your element when you're not aiming to be the best you can be at what YOU do. Education is constant and experimental is vital to improving yourself, but carve your own niche and let time take care of the rest. We artists and manual labourers aren't the robots that the corporate world want us to be. We don't suddenly upgrade to be the best in the world and I don't believe there's any such thing. You are unique and so long as you don't try to be something you're not, you will go on to define what makes you unique.

I hope this helps somebody. If you have your own specific work ethic or philosophy, please feel free to share and thanks for reading.
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I like what macker33 said, i personally wouldn't want to limit my potential and do prefer being busy. That said, I believe in hard work, but also in having a life that's enriched and meaningful. If all one does is work day in & day out, without experiencing passionate moments, i say what is beautiful about that? Life is too short. It's something both my parents have instilled in me, as both have spent their yrs laboring endlessly. Work is important, most definitely, but so is the opportunity to fulfill your heart and that of others
You are absolutely right. That sort of thing ruined me when my depression came back. It's important not to burn out and recede from life.
Wally Tiled by drsparc   Work just enough to not be fired and be important enough to the system to be not let go of. Like you refuctored some backbone network code that's deeply ingrained into the system or wrote the helpdesk.
Speaking of refuctoring: There is a presentation about it with examples. www.scribd.com/doc/3236733/Ref…

Refuctoring Metrics: Job Security Index = 1 / Maintainability
In terms of general employment - especially white-collar - that is most certainly the way forward today. I have friends working for Serco. That gets them through!
There's a reason why Dilbert remains relevant to this day.
I hear ya, brother!
It also helps that unlike other newspaper comics, it get a chuckle out of you, unlike Garfocal.
I don't get it. Sorry, I'm hung over lol
Garfield. Its a comic that's so old that by this point the first readers probably have bifocals.
View all replies

1. Always be better than last time (or at least aim for it)

I apply this for art and sports. If you can’t accomplish at least the level you did last time, there’s something wrong. You can be happy with your last/latest achievement, but that doesn’t mean you should be satisfied and not push and try even harder.

2. Draw only when you’re in the right frame of mind

Forcing yourself to draw results in not being to put 100% into it and thus shitty half assed work which is just a waste of time. You’re not going to improve and create good work, you’re imprinting a negative emotion onto art, and I hate the idea of finding art unpleasant.

3. You can do it if you try (and if you can’t, try harder)

I truly believe that I can draw anything. Well I think if most people tried and wanted to hard enough, they should be able too. Perhaps I don’t aim high enough (I don’t think that’s too true), but I’ve always been able to do what I set out to, and honestly have (pleasantly) surprised myself. 

And people who complain about not being able to do this and that,.. or that it didn’t turn out as expected. I don’t understand why they gave up. If it’s not how you expected, why didn’t you keep working at it until it IS how you expected it to be?

4. Evolve, experiment, challenge and try new things/don’t stagnate

Because that’s how you improve. You don’t keep doing the same thing over and over again or stay in a comfort zone. You push yourself to improve. 

I agree with all of these things. Great input ;)
Is it strange that I thought this was gonna be about work in general rather than art work? I suppose I don't quite consider myself an artist yet… Nice post nonetheless.
Not strange in the slightest. All work requires a solid ethic and I believe that artwork is no different. You are a creator, no matter what level you're at and you'll feel yourself progressing when you can reach a higher standard one day and then later on learn how to produce to such a standard with jaw-dropping speed. No matter what we do, we are producers and manufacturers. Artists of any kind just tend to take the role of the whole factory as opposed to the gopher at the end of the conveyor wearing the silly hat.

Well... I have a few silly hats, but regardless...
There is always going to be somebody better.
   I like work, nothing worse than hanging around doing nothing.
It feels good to be productive. Progressive is a word I enjoy, just not in the sense that a politician sees it!