Sacred Circle

Howdy y'all.

I live in Vancouver Washington. I built a Sacred Circle in Orchards Park. I started a spiritual organization surrounding that circle, (OPSOSCO- look up the Facebook page). In performing ceremonies at the circle, I've noticed a few things I have philosophical questions about.

I perform the same ceremony on every patient, yet each patient has a unique vision. Why? What does that mean? The ceremony is a healing ceremony, meant to be good for any and every sickness. But I realize, I don't know the true meaning of "sickness." The ceremony works the same way for every person, yet every person has a unique vision. What is the meaning of this?

My patients don't all have the same beliefs either, but they all have visions. How much influence, if any, do our individual beliefs have on our spiritual experiences? What if I had an atheist patient...might they still have a vision during the ceremony? If I do, and a vision still occurs, could that mean the visions have nothing to do with spiritual beliefs?

Is there a specific material mechanism through which our brains have "mystical" experiences? If so, does that necessarily mean there is no spiritual meaning to the visions people have?

Are spiritual visions based upon primal archetypes in our minds?
Comments40
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Do these 'healing rituals' involve narcotics, psychoactive substances, or any other form of drug?
Is the stone circle anywhere near a Weenie Hut Junior's, perchance? 
Nope. It's also not stone.
I think you may want to begin with a more earthly explanation for these visions, like gas seeping up from the ground. Are there any oil wells near or far by?
No. Just a forest.
hmmkay, have any scientists come by to test the soil or anything?
Not to my knowledge.
From a skeptical point of view, I don't really see the need to explain these visions with mysticism. You haven't really described what these visions are like but it sounds like dreaming so far. It's not necessarily mystical but rather a result of exposure to culture and such.

How much influence, if any, do our individual beliefs have on our spiritual experiences?
Plenty, I'm sure, but such experiences can very well be influenced by things we don't believe in as well. The subconscious mind is not ruled by conscious beliefs, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

What if I had an atheist patient...might they still have a vision during the ceremony? If I do, and a vision still occurs, could that mean the visions have nothing to do with spiritual beliefs? 
What would being an atheist have to do with it? If having visions was spiritually related, wouldn't it occur regardless of an individual's belief?
It may or may not occur regardless of beliefs.
Are spiritual visions based upon primal archetypes in our minds?

Yes.
Can be changed too. The mental world is a malleable and subjective one.
How do we know that?
There have been other experiments, on near death experiences, where the religious background of the person determined their own version of what happens before they cross.
you tell them they are going to be healed and they have a "healing vision"?  sounds like you've got a combination of expectations and subconscious material floating around.  they already know the answer, and you've just provided them the opportunity and method to access that material.  no, it's nothing to do with archetypes.  why would you think that?

i do shamanic stuff, and i've only once heard of healing circles.  it sounds like some well-to-do white new-ager fluff to me...
I like how you add 'white' in there just to let everyone know you're going to be obnoxious
Except I'm not white, well-to-do, or a newager.
good for you. that doesn't change what i'm seeing on websites concerning this practice.

may i ask what tradition this comes from?  i'm familiar with a fair bit of native american stuff, and this has never come up.
It is a form of shamanism that The Great Spirit taught me since I was little.
Placebo effect.

You told them that it works and they believe in it.
I don't tell them it will work.
Well, you at least told them it's a healing circle right? or something to make them believe that it is a healing circle.
With some, yes, I told them that before hand; not with all of them.
everyone's sickness and disease is built into their life path *from birth (usually by conscious choice) and is a symbol from their inner self in a physical form that only they may understand and with that understanding might they heal themselves rather than depend on medication or treatment.

beliefs can open up of hinder ones own experiences. but if healing is what one truly wants, then they have to open themselves up to the truth within the soul self that created their life in the first place from which they have to grow to understand their sickness.

this mystical mechanism being the subconscious which channels the soul energies into the mind of the physical being, but never does it give less meaning to their experiences, but if it is found to be true to them, it may trump their current beliefs of their problem

I dare say no, but that is up to interpretation whether the validity of the existence of the soul is put into question as such non-physical things will never yield any proof except in a mystical or magical way that may only give materialists more drive to claim it to be only be evidence of some physical phenomena, even though it is not a true conclusion, but makes enough sense