God's Sense of Humor

Let's face it: God has done his share of trolling. I know, it's probably rather irreverent to phrase it like that, but it's true. Sometimes, the tests He subjects His people to are downright hilarious.

One Friday in June of 2003, in the third year of what would ultimately be an eight-year drought, my area was hit by a massive hailstorm, which blew down many of our largest trees and knocked out power for three days. As a result, on Sunday, during a candlelit mass, our pastor apologized to the congregation for having prayed for rain the previous Sunday.

This wasn't the first time this sort of thing had happened to him, either. In December of 1996, he hoped to have a light dusting of snow to set the mood for Christmas. Later that month, I found myself walking home from school in a blizzard, with winds so strong I couldn't breathe and snowdrifts nearly twice as deep as I was tall. Whenever he prayed for something material like this, he often ended up with far too much.

I invite anyone who believes in a higher power to share stories in which said higher power has forced you to lighten up with a joke at your expense.
Comments59
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
God loves ants, since he made so many of them. Apparently all the ants on this planet weigh as much as all the people (or maybe not but there are still a lot of them....  www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29… )

But god is also crueller to ants than almost any other creature, including blessing them with a form of parasite, a fly larvae that eats out their brain before it makes their heads fall off...

www.wired.com/2013/12/absurd-c…

And another form of parasite, a fungus that turns them into zombies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocor…
The horror film genre has nothing on nature.
I think it's called 'PROPAGANDA' in the HUMAN world...
Mark Zuckerberg (according to the movie The Social Network, as I understand it) - I need friends
Mark Zuckerberg - I'm going to create a social networking site and make one billion dollars
Mark Zuckerberg (at the end of the movie) SPOILER ALERT - Look all these people with friends on the social networking site I built, yet I still have no friends 

If my interpretation of the movie is correct and this resembles the truth, this would be one of those ironies that God/s would find amusing (that's why skulls are grinning, people get to sit back and enjoy the show when they are dead)
skulls grimace, not grin. :bucktooth:
Here's something that will make you grimace, suppose on greater reflection The Social Network goes like;

Mark Zuckerberg - hey check out all my friends (but I can't get into a fraternity)
Mark Zuckerberg - oh well I may as well build a social network and in the process lose all my friends
Mark Zuckerberg - my work is done, look at all these people online with all their friends
Mark Zuckerberg - SPOILER ALERT I've got no friends

It would probably depend on the dead person's interpretation of the film as to whether the skull is grinning or grimacing.
so there's an inverse relationship between having friends and creating a social network?

also, you can't grin without skin.  think on that, friend...
From a study sample size of one, interpreted in the form of a movie, yes, the relationship exists!

Yes, well that is true, yet if we take the effect of grinning, a person pulling back their lips to reveal their teeth, the skull has this same effect (as it has no lips). Now to Grimace, as I understand it, a skull has to be round and purple.
you're thinking of that cohort of the Hamburgler (a crime that i can sympathize with).  grimacing involves the exposing of the teeth without the upturn of the lips to indicate a grin (see why you need skin, now?).

now all of this is, of course, of no use in the animal world, where if you expose your teeth you're making a threat...  
Yes, but it depends on the angle a person is observing the skull, as a person views a skull and moves from the front of the mandible to the ramus, the ramus curves upwards, thus, it gives the illusion the skull is smiling, coupled with the exposed teeth, the skull is finding something amusing, i.e. a grin.

The same phenonenon can be observed in cats. Cats, most of the time are grumpy (when viewed from the front of the face), but if you pick up a cat, and view the head laterally, the cat appears to be smiling. Even though it is grumpy. What you can do to increase the grumpiness of the cat is you then turn the cat's head to face you and state in a patronising baby voice, "gwumpy cat" or "who's a gwumpy widdle cat", then turn the cat so you are viewing it from the side, and in a nice patronising happy voice state, "happy cat!", then face the cat front-on once more and state, "gwumpy cat", turn the cat to view laterally and state, "happy cat!", "gwumpy cat", "happy cat" etc etc
If I were God, I would probably mess with my creations....
Yeah, God has a sense of humor. Look at how ugly some people can be! :trollface:

But in reality, yeah. Here's an actual biblical example. At one point where God kinda toyed with some people on purpose (basically trolling) was with how the Israelites were using the Ark of the Covenant like a good-luck charm in taking it to battle, and the Philistines ended up capturing it and placing it in their temple before their idol of Dagon. They came into the temple the next day and found Dagon flat on his face before the ark. They set him back up. The next morning, there he was again, but this time he had his hands and head cut off as a symbol of his powerlessness before the God of the ark (1 Samuel 5:1-5). God forced a statue that some dudes were worshipping into submission and making it look like an accident, and then going full blown obvious that something was wrong, like a prank you'd pull on a friend (only God kinda wiped out these people later). Thats one example I could come up with, but whether you perceive it as funny or not is up to you.
There are lots of other similar examples (where God shows His power in an obvious undeniable way, but people never tend to actually learn a lesson from it).
Ye be sure to share those examples lol. Inb4 weather. 
You are simply proving my point, ya know.
Ok but if you're not going to give those examples which are obvious and undeniable then stop making dumb claims. 
You won't accept them anyways, so why bother.
It suffices for me that I know them.
You heard enough surely, you just chose to ignore it.
Or maybe you aren't saying the examples because they are garbage and easily refutable??
View all replies
Not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking more of things that happened to you personally.
Hm... I was hoping for a cooler summer and it hailed either last May or June XD My friends were swimming and I just thought it was funny
Ah, now that's what I'm talking about: an actual personal experience, not just a Bible quote or the platypus. At least while swimming, they had the surface tension of the water protecting the majority of their bodies, though I assume the water got cold rather quickly with all that ice in it.
It startled them and they all went to the garage and we had pizza. It was pretty funny actually!
Noah: God can you water my crops?
God: Sure, btw nice boat.
:iconskulkey:  "Oh Lord, tell me what to do!"
:icongodplz: ... "GET LOST"