Islam

What do you think of Islam?
Comments302
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I honestly have no clue.
muhammad runs out of a cave screaming the angel gabriel has given him the word of God and expects everyone to just believe him.....or else die by the sword wielded by muhammad. sigh! so much for a compasionate and merciful God.

muslims have inherited a work of poetic literature based soley on
blind faith. this is further exasperated by muhammad own words in the koran stating it is the duty of all believers to fight against unbelievers. but those that believe in God but don't follow muhammad are also considered unbelievers by some of muhammad's more extreme followers.

within the writings
of the koran muhammad  has created the perfect catch 22 situation. it is unbreakable. no escape. all that the rest of the world can do is despair as they watch blind faith in action. hopefully some of the more reasonable followers of muhammad maybe able to reign in the extremist elements since no one else can because any outsiders actions would be considered as one of an unbeliever. catch 22.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22…
I think the word you're looking for is 'exacerbated'. :p
yer that works too. Nod 
All religions are just a bunch of lies that people who can't think for themselves waste their time on.
i agree with der-freishutz, don't make grand sweeping statements as they just shows you are too mentally lazy to try and understand others, ignorant and uncaring. all such statements do is fan the fires of hate.
Well there are 1000's of religions from all across the world, you just sound like an idiot by making such a massive uneducated generalization.
Love how my simple questions always turn into a full out debate
I actually would like to convert to Sufism some day...
its a religion like all other religions
Haven't read it, so my knowledge is through claims made by its proponents. Generally, I think the same thing about it as I do all other Abrahamic religions. A lot of evil wrapped into some nice-sounding sweetness and rethoric.
I think it's a religion a lot of people don't really know a lot about, that's all I can say. It's never safe to make any assumptions either.

I try my best to make respect towards others as being more than a principle. In a country like America, where the populace is quite diverse, stereotypes are prone to being made towards various things, not just religion. At the same time however, I'm not for any religion, not even Buddhism, despite some aspects to it of which I also respect as well. What made me decide to be in that position was the Pagans and mythology. Since then, I've decided to create my own principles.

I suspect that with the internet, religions today are going to live a lot longer than those which existed back in Greek and Roman periods. Regardless, I'm still led to believe that one day, Christianity will be known centuries later as "Christian Mythology", and it's got as much of a ring to it as "Greek Mythology" or something like that. Not everything's going to last forever, not even certain religions.

I have nothing against these religions saying this however. It's a speculation I've given serious thought to the other day. Everything dies, or at least expires. And we can't change that unless we find a way to spread the word, and luckily for us today's religions have LOTS of ways. Human thought can change anytime however. The ongoing awareness of LGBT rights and discrimination seems to be bringing humans all around the world together in the struggle against rival powers which attempt to stunt its growth. Religion included. Out with the old, and in with the new.

It's definitely not going to be in our life time, but one day, modern religions may disappear from the face of the earth almost completely as a belief, and may re-emerge as myth. But the morals and principles of those a part of these religions will always be remembered. Many will become good examples. Some will be subjected to scrutiny. But their lives will still hold some kind of fascination to humanity somehow. And eventually, they'll probably be the subject of theater and movies just like Greek mythology has been for a long time now.

And maybe, we'll never truly know whether it was ever real or not.
I'm just saying.
It's a religion that is severely misunderstood because of extremists who give the rest of 'em a bad name.
What's so misunderstood about it? Islam is an outright rejection of concepts like freedom, democracy, and human rights, though it is rare for a Muslim to directly acknowledge this and they often attempt to create a different impression.
Your icon is an outright rejection of concepts like gravity, biology, and  the laws of physics :D
You like to listen to media hype don't you :grinstareclap: 
the Qur'an itself explicitly forbids cruelty towards women, denial of education, and religious intolerance towards Judaism and Christianity. it's a misinterpretation by a few people that results in what is called Islamic extremism, and unfortunately, those few people are the only ones covered by the media.
It rhymes with lamb. If you say it correctly.
in the English way, Izlom (lol) is how most of you guys say it.
and it doesn't mean peace which is widely misunderstood. It means submission.
From what I have seen of Islam. They fear God (God is not the Father and the Son), was invented as a war tool in middle eastern, uses fear tactics to hang on as a religion to areas, multi-marriages... The worst part of it is the Martyr part. Christianity evolved for the better, but I think it never has had anything about being a martyr in the Bible.
 Christianity evolved for the better

But did it really? I mean this 'evolved' Christian nation dropped nuclear weapons on civilian populations after all, that thing in Vietnam happened, Korea, oh and more recently that place we invaded that had supposedly magical invisible WMDs - Iraq (I wonder if the people there are mad cause of that still, omg they should like so get over themselves). And do we want to look at the stuff that goes on south of Texas...oh boy...its bad.
Though the U.S. did drop the bombs on Japan solely to intimidate the Soviets, the only reason the U.S. were the first and last to use nuclear weapons on another nation in war was because we developed them first. That has nothing to do with religion.
The wars of the U.S. has little to do with ideology but everything to do with the military industrial complex and attempting to maintain global dominance it established in the wake of WWII.

Christianity did "evolve" in the sense that it was domesticated by secular principals to the point it had almost none of the power it had during the middle ages when it was at it's most violent. Not to say that there were not violent christian events after that. The best example would be the KKK after the U.S civil war that is most comparable to islamic terrorists.

Christianity is currently sinking and is attempting to latch onto anything to keep them afloat and what better way than a holy war to reinvigorate their flocks? This is where the inherent divisiveness of religion is apparent.
By establishing an "us vs. them" mentality and promoting fear of "the other" to intimidating cultural christians into fundamentalism. The very same tactic ISIS is using to bolster it's ranks.

Sadly the military industrial complex wants to continue this endless "war on terrorism" . Every drone strike survivor becomes a terrorist in retaliation resulting in the "need" for more drone strikes. The western media paints all muslims as terrorists and ISIS treats all westerners as enemies of islam.

Round and round we go.
That has nothing to do with religion.

The point there is that a country made up of predominantly Christian people elected individuals that did something heinous, and many of the Christians (and atheists too) then and now condone the act and refuse to call it terrorism or barbarity (worshiping at the alter of national-pride). ISIS on the other hand is un-elected, armed by the West, and is running amok against the (often corrupt) local governments - yet is somehow considered representative of the religion even though the vast majority of Muslims condemn it. My intent was more to point out the double standard. I don't genuinely believe religion has a major role in most conflicts (its social and economic factors mostly I think).

Christianity is currently sinking and is attempting to latch

There are a number of incredible examples of Christian spirit still around, people that are peace loving and speak truth to power, that hold on to hope in spite of it being practically irrational - I'd like to think they out weigh the bad apples. The military industrial complex doesn't exist because Christians need to latch on to war to 'save their religion' (the Amish are doing just fine without it, as are most other faith-communities) - the conflicts are powered by the greed of sociopathic weapons manufacturers that love war profiteering (and to a lesser extent our own insatiable appetites for luxury). There are people of faith and no-faith that serve as mouth pieces for such corporations. When Sam Harris calls for Muslims to be bombed (to preemptively save humanity from the menace of Islam) or Bill Maher says something along the same lines - they're pushing the same agenda certain right-wing neo-Cons with a perverse evangelicalism.
(the Amish are doing just fine without it, as are most other faith-communities) 
The amish are in trouble due to inbreeding as they began with only 200 different families. www.ibtimes.co.uk/amish-gene-m…
(and we're to believe that humanity was descended from a single family twice)

When Sam Harris calls for Muslims to be bombed (to preemptively save humanity from the menace of Islam) or Bill Maher says something along the same lines
If I remember correctly with Harris his statement was in response to in the event that a group such as ISIS get there hands on a nuclear weapon. Due to their apocalyptic views they would not care about the assurance of mutual destruction that would result should a nuclear device be used on a nation today.