Makeup!

So I was talking with another deviant about wearing makeup (:iconskygal333:) and I was thinkinng about how silly it is in reality. It makes sense to wear nice clothes, fix your hair when it's a special occasion, but fixing your face? That doesn't really make sense to me.

Everything else you fix up is more related to personal style, but I think wearing makeup goes a bit deeper because it's a part of yourself that isn't just interchangeable from day to day, and it's the part of you that represents you the most.

Or does that mean you should make it up to make it look, "better?" To show case it in a way. 

When people where makeup everyday and then one day they don't, it makes the natural version of their face look strange and unnatural, and too me this should be the opposite. 

So what do you think about what wearing makeup really says about us as a society?

A lot of people see it as a requirement to at least wear a small amount when they go out. I don't own any makeup, let alone wear any, and some people try telling me I would look better with a little makeup, and that I should wear makeup in general. I think it's a bit offensive because they're saying something is wrong enough with my face to where I should cover it up, but at the same time it's social norm to wear makeup so it doesn't frustrate me too much at the people telling me these things.

There's also something to be said about how wearing makeup is a requirement for women but not for men. To me it says that women need to make themselves look better for society's standards while men don't need to do this to be accepted as good looking. 

I think we should be able to see the beauty in a natural face and use makeup to enhance these features sometimes rather than to totally change the features every single day a woman goes outside. 
Comments149
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Comment hidden
I think if the focus on constantly being sexy was downplayed, the need for makeup wouldn't be there. I think what should stand out is natural beauty, and if makeup wasn't worn so much I believe natural faces would come to life. 
well here's my analysis of makeup.  It's designed to make women look better, in a lot of cases this would be to attract a mate, well if you were dating someone its highly unlikely that you wouldn't end up seeing them without makeup at some point, so you are better off wearing none and seeing who you attract or don't attract naturally. 
Maybe if people didn't wear makeup so much the natural attraction to someone would be more obvious, rather than the idea of an attractive person being someone who covers their face. :P
well i think makeup can create artificial attraction. by the same logic though you could say people shouldn't where perfumes or cologne and everyone should use unscented soap, because otherwise you are masking natural pheromones, which are unique.  
I thnk there is a difference though because it is visual, but yes they all do run along the same line. It's hard to draw a definite line as to what seems wrong. 
i think scent is a more powerful sense and factor of attraction than sight though. 
Although pheromones can only go so far, while you can see someone face from a distance, but you can't smell someone from a distance unless they're stanky. :shakefish:
Well, for some reason God made every part of the female body beautiful, EXCEPT for the face. Women without makeup look just hideous, sad but true. People who say they want to see women who look natural, trust me, you really don't, cause they look absolutely disgusting.

I also think if there will ever be a zombie apocalypse our biggest obstacle for the survival of our species will be that we won't be able procreate, because men won't be able to tell the zombies apart from the women without makeup.
i hope you are kidding 
why, cause if i were serious you would come to my house and beat the shit out of me? oh, i wanna see that, bro
dude chill the fuck out. 

i meant I hope you aren't that stupid, although now it seems likely.... 
:lol: "they look absolutely disgusting," good to know you think I looked disgusting! 
a) i have no clue what you look like b) turning my general statement into a statement about yourself makes you a narcissist
It is a general statement that applies to me, and I thought it was humorous. :P
so you think you look hideous and disgusting?
No, I just think it's implied that you would. 
I pretty much agree, I like seeing peoples natural faces ^^ when I see those with heavy makeup or spray tans ect I just think "yuk" on special occasions yeah its OK, or like if they're covering a scar or zit if they're self conscious.

As a guy I've never tried makeup (may be if I dabble in prosthetics for costuming) though I have Extremely bad acne type skin problem (according to dermatologist its not acne, some sort of infected oil gland problem) and before I found a medication that worked my face (only bit affected people saw) was awful I was often asked if I got into fights , some of the nicer girls offered to show me how to hide them but I refused vanity isn't something I have much of xD
Yeah, people have told me I would look better with makeup,mbut I always decline because I don't give a shit! :dummy:
I hate when women are abused for not wearing makeup. I've always thought a beautiful woman is beautiful without it and it should be her choice to enhance that beauty if she wants, not an expectation of society.
Um, usually women could care less about what society thinks, sometimes they wear makeup as a sort of a...mating call...:giggle:
I can see that, as much as you seem to like to discuss it, you are thinking about it entirely within the prism of the female experience. There is another issue, larger and more broad than the one you raised which is about how neither males nor females are inherently born with the purpose to wear or not wear makeup. For you, to wear or not wear it is simply an option. And even that option is difficult, now try to imagine not having it.
What if you like pink skirts and lace trimmed shorts and do not have the option to wear them? Now I say you are not allowed to wear makeup- what if you are not? In Islamic societies women often cannot go out without their heads covered, and neither men nor women are allowed to be in public with their legs showing. I know that most people disagree with this- but what about just telling one gender in your country, that they just aren't allowed to do something? Make an excuse and claim that none of them would want to? Tell the person asking you (me) that they're obviously messed up in the head? That's the extent that things are genderized in our society- in my view, we are every bit as restrictive as Saudi Arabia- with the noted difference that females have more restrictions in Saudi and males have more restrictions in the west. I didn't see you object to it so I assume you think that's okay. Personally I'm not about to say that everyone should just go outside without any norms around what is reasonable to wear- but really I think the rules around what women can do and what men can't do are just a little too extreme.
People aren't going to mind if you go out without makeup as a woman, if you are a man and you do- it could endanger your life. Think about it.
In the flipside I don't think that men should be thought poorly of for wearing makeup, and I think I did talk about that with someone. I admitted to someone that I didn't think to mention that the idea that men have to show what society views as manliness is just as wrong. 

Although I'm sure the fact that I didn't think t mention these other things shows they aren't brought to attention enough. :P

I don't think you should assume that I think something is okay just because you didn't see me object to it. If I don't think it's to have restrictions on females then why would I think it's okay to have restrictions on men? If anything it should go hand in hand to think both genders should be able to be as free as they want, so I don't see why you assumed that about me.