Skepticism & Art

Comments33
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
:lock: by OP request.
Why did you make a forum thread if you just want people to click on your journal?
Because this is where all the philosophy lurkers hang out and it's them I'm trying to engage with. I would've just pasted the whole thing, but that's against guidelines.
You're literally incapable of summarizing?
What the hell is your problem? I wanted thoughts on the arguments within the journal as they were written. This seemed like the appropriate venue to plug it and host the potentially heated conversations. I said I don't give a shit about the traffic, so what's with the attitude?
I'm asking if you're literally incapable of summarizing a point. Did summarizing kill someone you love? If not, grow the fuck up.
Skepticism has it's time and place.
Doing it all the time is rather tedious and ineffective.
Agreed. I suppose I was getting at the climate of deference within the art community at large. Wherever authority is involved gullibility seems to be the default mode of receiving information, totally unthinking suspension of disbelief. I can't help but see it as very unhealthy in a community where self-improvement is such a high priority in peoples minds.
Could you include the main points within the thread itself instead of asking members to click on the thumbnail, please? It somewhat defeats the point of a forum if we have to go outside of it to know what we are meant to be discussing.

If you could do this within 24 hours, that would be great, otherwise I fear I may have to lock this thread.

Thank you.
:bulletred: If you would like to discuss an article/blog post/current event, please provide appropriate links and your thoughts and questions for discussion. Do not paste the full text as this does not encourage discussion.

Am I not allowed to simply prompt for general thoughts? People seem to be doing just fine finding a foothold for conversation, are you really going to lock a thread that's engaging forum members?

I mean, it's the philosophy forum, if there's a portal for general thoughts, this has to be it, right?

I'm confused as to why it "defeats the point" that I should expect them to follow the link before discussing the journal. Should I summarize it or something?

If you're worried that I'm just trying to drive traffic to my journal, I'll just paste the whole thing here, but you'll need to make an exception for me since that's not supposed to be allowed.
Hi,

You are allowed to prompt for general thoughts, but simply linking your journal isn't exactly appropriate. Perhaps if you included a few sentences of the general premise of your discussion and then linked your journal for further prompts?

People are only doing fine finding a foothold for the conversation because they've had to actively click on your link and read through your piece.

Generally, I don't base my moderation on the comments, but on the actual OP itself, otherwise anybody who wanted to go off-topic on a thread could statistically keep the thread open.

Overall, if you could summarise things, that would be great. I'm not asking for you to copy/paste, just to list a few of your main points or a few questions that you'd like members to answer.

There's no need to get rid of the link to your journal, but simply linking it isn't appropriate for the forums.

Thank you.
fair points.  i only read it because it was short. if he had a huge journal, i wouldn't have read it at all.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time, but I'd prefer you just close the thread if you don't mind. Some senior member decided to be a massive cunt at me, and besides that I don't really care about the traffic - which people seem to be assuming I'm after. For the record, it is not clear that it is considered a violation of the philosophy forum etiquette (or even just inappropriate) to post a link to your own journals. If it's something you're going to moderate for you may want to see if you can get it mentioned in the guidelines.
It's not that you can't post a link to your journals, just that the topic needs to be explained within the topic itself rather than have it located elsewhere.

We are in the process of revising the guidelines, both in the sticky thread and in FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?. :nod:

I'll lock the thread, though. :)
I didn't get what u mean, but to me, every work should only belong to the artist himself, his thoughts, feelings, dreams, his truth, its his world.

Away from arguing about the meanings or beliefs or religion they are not in a place or arguing about the beliefs or whatever!,

free your mind and draw all what u like thats all. 

The public can understand every work at the way they like. The value is in the work itself. 
I suppose I agree with what I got out of your writing when it comes to art in the field of literature. I'm a bit more simplistic, most of the time, when it comes to other forms, and don't tend to think of them as moral or higher ideas and arguments, but rather, as groups of patterns that either take me somewhere or dazzle me. So I find it a little harder to apply your ideas to something like painting, and I don't usually take movies or TV shows seriously enough to worry about judging on ethos there. I must admit that I didn't follow everything you said.
Could you paraphrase what you wrote cause I can't seem to find your point amidst all the fancy words...
I mean I can try, but there's a reason for the journals present length and verbiage. I am basically saying that the quality (or lack thereof) of an artists work and their position as an authority figure (or lack thereof) has no bearing whatever on whether or not they're right or wrong.

I'm not sure if I understand your point correctly.
You need to define what art means in the context you use it, because you cannot simply say what art ought to be and how artists should behave without making clear what art means (for you). And I think it's not really a meaningful exercise to try to use pure logic on something like art (because it's not clearly defined and because knowledge isn't the only or even the most important thing you need to create art).
There's no objective right or wrong in art. These things can only be defined objectively if an objective goal for a piece of art is defined first. Then you can take the criteria it has to fulfil to meet its goal and evaluate whether the work is successful or not. Same goes for an artist. You can say an artist is an authority if he's recognized by many fellow artists and critics as an authority and touchstone, because of the quality his work or ideas have. But even then you have to look at the context he's working in. Rembrandt was an "authority" in historical painting and an "expert" in depicting human skin and vividness of the characters, but he's no authority in fractal art or depiction of movement dynamics etc. I would even argue that something like an "authority" doesn't even exist in art, because there isn't one single method or one single way to accomplished things (art isn't science). There're many possibilities and a good artist knows how to find the best solution for an individual picture. Every piece of art is different and there's no real how-to manual that simply has to be learned.

This is what I've been thinking to myself. And is how I've been going about being an artist in my medium. Its so refreshing to hear I'm not the only person who thinks objectifying art is a waste of time and that no real authority in it exists. Reading Wes' articles, I've been struggling to wrap my head around that concept. Thank you for articulating what I couldn't. :hug:

For a long time I thought art can be absolutely objective (that was at the time when I didn't know much about art (or general drawing, sketching, creating etc.)). After I learned about the processes and ideas behind it I switched to the notion that art is absolutely subjective. But that's not absolutely true either. Now I'm at the position that I can say art is "subjectively objective", but only if there're defined criteria for every single piece of art. Only if you know what the goal is, the limitations the artist had to work with and the circumstances of the creation of a piece of art that were present at the time he made the piece you can think about it objectively. Without set criteria you cannot "objectively" assess a piece of art. And even if you have these criteria in place there's still a subjective perspective on the piece, because some elements have a bigger personal impact on you than others.
But it's true that some elements (like knowing about anatomy, composition, rendering etc.) can be looked at objectively, but that doesn't mean the final creation (based on abstraction, stylization, impressions, associations, symbols, metaphors, allegories, coincidence) is objectively assessable out of the blue.
This becomes even more obvious in design. There a goal, a target audience, limitations and freedoms have to be defined first in order to be able to create a specific design and in order to evaluate it. Without criteria you're trying to build a house on the fundament of feathers and air and as soon as you try to examine the tiles on the roof the whole building just collapses because of its weak fundament.

Insofar as I'm concerned, knowledge is the sole source of artwork. To assert otherwise is either to absurdly skew the definition of art, or to fundamentally misunderstand what is meant by knowledge. Also, it seems like you're asserting subjective relativism in an attempt to dismiss the discussion; the assertion itself is positivist, and thus self-defeating. Insisting that science, logic and objectivity don't have a place in discussions about art, technical skill and the teaching thereof is to misunderstand these concepts on a very basic level.

Also, and I don't mean to reproach you, but this seems like shifting the goal posts. I think we can discuss whether or not authority ought to confer some veracity on an artists assertions without all the deconstruction. Subjective relativism and objective truth are lofty topics that can - without much difference here, I think - be left to one side as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment, though.

- [...] skew the definition of art [...] -

This in itself is an absurd statement, because you refused to define what you see as art. Therefore I'm unable to comment on it. But if you're really able to find a coherent definition for art you'll be famous.

Now you have to define knowledge too. I can guess what you're meaning and if I'm correct with my guess I would agree with you, but right now I cannot agree.

- [...] it seems like you're asserting subjective relativism [...] -

No, I don't. At least not in the simple sense. I said the creation of art is so individual that it is close to being completely subjective and relative, but only as long as you've not defined the goal of a piece of art and the criteria it has to meet. If the goal is known and the criteria are set you can objectively examine the artwork, its creation, general quality and impact. But without definition you're moving in absolute gray areas without any defined position.
And, art theory (for example by Umberto Eco) tries to understand art as inherently subjective, because without a recipient (the creator is the recipient at the same time) art doesn't exist. Art is created when the recipient looks at it and forms an interpretation of the seen ad hoc. What is perceived changes when the recipient changes. Theory states that the artist isn't the creator of art, but the recipient who looks at it. There can be approximations between understanding and interpretations of artists and non-artist (creator and non-creator), but they never fully match. What the recipient defines as art is art for him and whatever he doesn't define as art isn't art for him. Again, in some cases several individuals can look at a piece and decide it as art, because it hints at similar preferences and definitions and if these individuals have already defined various different examples of pieces to be art then they're able to evaluate the quality of a piece and find a consensus what "objective" art is without ever being truly objective. Art is based on context and time. What's considered to be art today might be considered degenerated in 1000 years, and if a piece of art is never seen by anybody again (because it's lost in a cave) this piece isn't art.

- [...] an attempt to dismiss the discussion [...] -

This is an infamous assumption. If I wanted to dismiss the discussion I wouldn't have taken the time to comment on your post. I pointed out that you're walking in a gray area and are trying to set standards without ever defining some limits to make these standards assessable.

- Insisting that science, logic and objectivity don't have a place in discussions about art, technical skill and the teaching thereof is to misunderstand these concepts on a very basic level. -

I never said they don't have any place in art. I said these things can be used if you set your criteria. You can technically analyze a painting, but you cannot technically analyze the impact of the depicted scene without these goals set first. Technical skill is different from the ability to come up with creative solutions for artistic problems. If you're technically perfect you can still be a bad conceptioner and a bad storyteller in art. Teaching art is yet another thing and depends on the philosophy of the teacher. Every art school has another focus and teaches things differently. Some fundamentals of art (the rightfully called technical aspects) can be taught, because they're mere observations of reality; but abstraction, stylization, conception etc. cannot be taught, only be shown on various more or less subjective examples and artistic solutions individuals came up with.

- I think we can discuss whether or not authority ought to confer some veracity on an artists assertions without all the deconstruction. -

Again you say what artists should do without defining art. You seem to say that artists generally assert something (what isn't true in the broad perspective; look at artistic experiments or unconscious art etc.) and that the work of an artist has to reflect their opinions (what isn't generally true either; look at commissioned art, concept art, functional art etc.). These things can all be true though for individual artists, but this isn't what you're saying. You seem to try to say that they must always be true for all artists.

Its not that Science, logic and objectivity don't have a place in the discussions about art, its that not all art needs or should be defined by these things. Art can be chaos and lack of logic or scientific method. it can be pure imagination untethered to reality. Just because you view art through the rose tinted glasses of Logic doesn't mean all art has to. He's right though. To objectively state what art means, some kind of goal or criteria need to be set in place.

You don't think of throwing paint on a canvas or abstract or fractals as meaningful art, but other people do Wes, i do. One of my favorite artists and best friend here on DA does mostly abstract and fractal art. There doesn't have to be any logic or reasoning behind why my friend made a particular piece Green and purple. He did it simply because that's what he felt like doing. He wanted to create some piece using Green and Purple to express his feelings, and he did. There's no logic, no reasoning, no scientific method to it, just feeling and expression. Art can be about pure feeling as well. So until you clarify and contextualize what kind of art you mean, generalizing art to be objective and rational is a fallacious concept. I'm not saying you're wrong and I don't think Florian is either. I think both of us agree that you need more context and an objective before you can objectify anything in art.