Do you think everyone has the right to have children?

Do you think it would ever be alright to sterilize certain people or ban them from bringing up children? If so, who?

I've just been thinking of it because you see some people having children that really can't handle the responsibility of raising a child, or don't even like their children, or simply don't have the resources to provide a safe or nurturing home for them.
Yet on the other hand, it's basic nature for humans to procreate. So would it be immoral for authorities to not allow someone to have a child?
Comments148
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Yes. You should have to fill out an application because there's too many stupid breeding. OR you just fucking legalize abortion and make it cheaper, maybe cover it on the health care you pay for as well as contraception and hormone drugs so that you don't have to sterilize anyone they can make the right choice and not have an excuse.
Absolutely not. There are enough people on the world...more than enough. Someone who doesn't want kids shouldn't have them.

That being said, I have no idea how or who would make the decision about who should have kids. No matter what, the methods end up unethical in one way, shape, or form. Even limiting the amount of kids over can have ends up with unethical practices (like in China).

I think something must be done, however. Perhaps if someone is a REPEATED offender of certain types of crimes, they will be sterilized. It's extreme yes, but being brought up in that kind of environment is traumatizing, as is going through adoption.

But like I said, there's no real ethical way to do it. There's no test people can take that will determine their eligibility for being a parent. And that's why probably nothing well ever be done. The only thing to do is make birth control widely available with no questions asked.
I believe that everyone has the right to have children, tho there's a crap-ton who shouldn't be allowed to raise them...
Highly dangerous criminals(how dangerous? Manson and Hitler dangerous), and genetically messed up people (How messed up? Incurable genetic diseases.) shouldn't have kids.

It doesn't help me to know that I have mental issues running in my mom's side of the family. My late grandma had a form of schizophrenia. 
Schizophrenia is only 10-15% genetic. Your kids may have no problems at all. Even if they did, modern treatments allow people to live healthy productive lives and treatments are improving all the time. There is even some people think a connection between madness and creativity. Many of the worlds greatest artists were... eccentric. But don't take my word for it, talk to your doctor if you are worried.
No. Finite planet therefore finite resources that means breeding uncontrollably is not a responsible action.

I think having a kid should be as difficult as the adoption process. Parents should be able to meet all the standards. Are they kind? Compassionate? Open minded? Can they love and accept a child as they are or do they want this "mold" a child must fit for them to accept it?

I think it would be better. There would be no unwanted child. It could reduce children living in poverty.

I think over time people would learn that it's okay to not have children. Its not some stage in life you need to check off in order to feel your life is maturing.

I don't think not gaving kids is a moral issue I think its a social one. For so long we've been conditioned into thinking we need to have kids because our lives used to be short and passing your blood on was sort of seen as you not slipping away into nothingness, some part of you would go on.

But now we live much longer and we consume more. The water bottles you've had, your childhood diapers will carry your legacy in a landfill for years after you're dead. I think our legacy needs to no longer be carried by our children but by a healthy earth for the few that will continue the human race. They will remeber us when they have clean air and normal weather. We are a group as well as individuals but since there are so many I think the group needs to come before the individual.

So yeah I might want kids but if that means one less person who will need power, food, and a house that will lead to overcrowding and destroying the planet, I will give up that desire so someone else's kid can have a good life.
Not people who have abused many in their lifetime - rapists, murderers, serial assaulters, etc.
I know how to castrate animals, and have done before...
Are basic nature and animalistic urges what we should listen to? Craving for life, power and pleasure, fearing rape, death and suffering? Isn't raising mankind's quality instead of its quantity a superior goal to pursue?

Then again, politicians today build their demagogical agenda on the populistic propaganda of serving these base instincts and emotions, because most people are ignorant and without any self-restraint.
the government already tried eugenics in the past. So did Hitler. Its a fucked up idea.  What we should do is make adoptions free though and some people shouldn't be able to keep their kids-extreme cases. 
if Hitler did it, it must be bad. Hitler also built roads, i guess that means drving cars makes us all Nazis.
there are 3 possible solutions to our current overpopulation problem: eugenics, war and genocide. I think eugenics is the most humane of those options.
"if Hitler did it, it must be bad. Hitler also built roads, i guess that means drving cars makes us all Nazis."

Moot point.

Voluntary eugenics fine, not forcing it.

4th option for overpopulation, leave earth.
Moot point.
Wow, great response. your whole argument is, it's bad because Hitler. take him out of it and you have nothing.

You're also forced to pay taxes. I don't see many people complaining about that.

Leaving earth. How? with a space shuttle you build in your garage, that's fuled with potatoes. okay, good luck cramming 6 billion people into that thing.
wow and you the point.  obviously most dictators do some good but that doesn't mean we ignore the bad. 

"You're also forced to pay taxes. I don't see many people complaining about that."

actually quite a bit of people do complain about that. 

"Leaving earth. How? with a space shuttle you build in your garage, that's fueled with potatoes. okay, good luck cramming 6 billion people into that thing."

The space industry is being privatized, with more funding(government incentives maybe) and newer technology it is possible, if not today, but sure the Nazi "solution" is easier... And no not all 6 billion people in one shuttle but building colonies else wear would be a good start.  Overpopulation will be a bigger problem down the road, if we act now we could prevent from getting worse. 
wow and you the point.
what?

obviously most dictators do some good but that doesn't mean we ignore the bad.
you still haven't explained why eugenics is bad except for 'Hitler did it'. That's not an argument.

space colonization. that's great, now we only have to wait 300 years till the necessary technology exists and we're good to go.
wow and you the point. 
eh, you missed the point, my mistake.

"you still haven't explained why eugenics is bad except for 'Hitler did it'. That's not an argument."

Even if Hitler didn't exist I'd still say its wrong unless its voluntary because I don't support government coercion of any kind except for when people are a serious direct threat, such as stopping serial killers.  One exception I'd make for semi forced eugenics would be making it so if someone is hospitalized multiple times for alcohol or drugs abuse, then I could see making it so that is considered implied consent for sterilization. One, maybe 2 strike I'd let them slide but after that they'd prove they are habitual and while I have no problem with people drinking or using any drug they want to I don't think they should have kids.  

"space colonization. that's great, now we only have to wait 300 years till the necessary technology exists and we're good to go."
much sooner than 300 years.  Neil Degrass Tyson said we could have started yesterday with the right funding but our budget is bullshit, the private space industry could change that. Beyond space we could make inhospitable parts of the earth livable. 
View all replies
Gays shouldnt be allowed to have children because they would only corrupt them and cause the children avoidable anguish.
It must be exhausting having so much irrational fear and hatred toward a group of people who have zero affect on your life.
Mind explaining how they corrupt them?
what about ignorant bigots? 
You mean homophobes, right? 'cause I've known gay parents and their chlidren seem to be doing just fine. =B
they're suffering in silence
I think that every child has the right to be born. People who get abortions, tie their tubes, get vasectomies, or ejaculate out their unborn children into the toilet aught to be put in prison for murdering their own children.