Anything Is As True As You Believe It To Be

I learned this on my own recently. I am Unitarian Universalist, which is very much about accepting other beliefs and finding your own truth, so I always want to learn, debate, and have conversation about religion. This is unfortunately avoided with the public, though.

Anyways. What do you think about this statement? How true, or false, is it?
Comments117
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Everything is TRUE if you believe it to be, but not everything is a FACT if you believe it to be.

Truth is just a perspective, facts are independent of perspectives.
Very true. Every person has their own reality, boundaries and understanding.

Lets take any experience for example, no 2 people who shared the same experience will go through the same understanding, therefore resulting im different believes.

But with enough experience, trial and error, we can sort of come to the same conclusion and yet still hold to different believes.
No. Somethings are true whether or not you believe in them.
Beleive in the gooood
I think within your own mind... then yes it's true.

If you think you have the power to do something regarding yourself. Like if you wanted to change an aspect of your personality. Then yea, I believe anything is possible as long as whatever is being done is within your own mind.

The obvious limitations to this is the physical reality. Obviously you can't make things into existence with just your brain. But within your brain. I believe there's more possibilities than science gives the mind credit for
I'll believe in Pikachu then! :la:
I used to do the same thing with charmander, everytime I got to do a wish I'd wish for one and actually tried to believe it so it would maybe work... till this day it still hasn't worked :grump:
I tried believing in Pikachu when I was a little kid once. I believed that if I loved it enough, my Pikachu plush would come to life.

It never happened, and all my hopes and dreams were crushed. And that's how I turned out to be such a lovely person! :dummy:
You didn't believe hard enough. BELIEVE! :stare: 
PIKACHU'S DEAD :crying:
Plot twist: Plushie becomes real Pikachu when you're gone.
For all I know he did, I was very hurt by his betrayal and shut him in a closet for the next couple years. Perhaps the plush that is in there is actually his corpse :fear:
Now there's a thought. What if all the plushies given to kids were actually corpses of the real thing.
Don't scare me with the implications, I have a ton of stuffed animals even now :stare:
Your bedroom is a graveyard Scary Jack 
View all replies
So if I believe really hard that I can grow a penis, it will come to pass?
You've already figured that out yourself, I see.
Thats a load of balls
Reality exists whether you believe in it or not. All belief systems are models of the world and some are pretty crap (all religion) some are useful (scientific theory). The argument that religion brings solace and comfort to people is true but so what  so do drugs and delusions. Only science helps us understand the world, the rest is just fluff.
I would argue that while reality exists

Science trys to  explain how  this reality exists (how  things happen in life) and explain it using facts and data so in theory everyone can see the data infront of there own eyes and should be able to  agree with .
However to me science does not ever try to explain why things happen / the purpose of life and suggests there is no real purpose to life and no afterlife.

While Religion try's to explains the purpose of life  and why we are here (why realtiy exists)  now  because this is open to debate  people will never see eye to eye so there will always  be many different religions and people who don't believe in religion at all.

now personally I like to use both in life as i like knowing how  things happen and why people think they happen.

so i wouldn't call either fluff