Religon

Do you think that religion prevents humans from achieving greater things?
Comments99
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
No, it doesn't. It only achieves the opposite.
They bully and slaughter each other for believing in different things or for being a different gender or having a different sexual orientation. 
If you want to achieve great things you should act after morals and common sense, no after a book which was written 2000 years ago by backward men who thought earth was flat. You should respect nature and all it's animals and plants and not think you're the crown of creation, because humans are not.
We're mentally not ready for such a status if we still blindly follow the words of an ancient book and treat each other like shit.
Respecting all living creatures is a must!
That's like asking if the sky is blue.  OF COURSE IT DOSE, those idiots are too focused on their religion then on real life.  
It certainly did in the past. But at the moment it's not religion. It's fanatics and ignorant idiots. Especially those in politics ;D!
I do not believe so. Christianity can often lead to much greater things than if you are an atheist. Christians are given a new hope, a new life and a new purpose within that life. Yes, Christians can, will, and do suffer for simply being Christian, but if our faith is strong, we will not lose sight of things and we will never lose what we just gained.
Overall, it has only seemed to hinder progress and thought processes, and lead to the deaths of millions and millions of people. So yeah, I guess you'd say it has prevented humans from achieving greater things, but at least we're getting better at it now!
Christ says, "I am the WAY the TRUTH and the LIFE", no man can see God, but by me." In another words, there's no other religion nor any other gods can save anyone. It's only through the Lord Jesus Christ. Because, the head of Christ is God.

"For in Him (Jesus Christ) dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power.----Colossians 2:9."

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.--I Corinthians 11:3."

Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come. And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things.--Ephesians 1:22."

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. --Colossians 2:8."

Greater things require thought.

Religions are thought killers.

Sheep do not think. They just follow. Innovators are goats and so rekigions are anti-achievement and progress.

Remember that it was Catholicism and then Christianity that gave us the Dark Ages.

The more religion there is the less innovation can happen.

Ask Galileo.

Regards
DL  
Wake up sheeple!
(I saw "sheep" and that's all that I could think)
Let's hope they do so and quickly.

Regards
DL
Gregor Mendel?
One of many.

Regards
DL
In some ways it can. In some ways it helps. It depends on ones goals with that religion.
people prevent people from achieving greater things. one prevents oneself from achieving greater things. using or blaming religion for non achievement is just an excuse sort by the weak willed. "those who can, do; those who can't, teach" - George Bernard Shaw
Ah, but is religion not an invention of man to control the weak willed?
partly. religions are an evolved system of belief(s) originally brought together by people to help people but unfortunately through it's evolution and institutionalization the people responsible to maintain the religion succumb to the temptations of power and use religion to control others; hence my original statement that it is people who prevent people from achieving greater things is the very essence of the problem.

example christianity =  jesus started with a simple message of God's forgiveness and mercy and that we should all act with forgiveness and mercy. in actual fact jesus message was too simple and the early christian movement almost died out if it wasn't for paul's evangelic missions. i don't particulary like in what direction paul lead christianity to. anyway not long after in the power vacuum left behind by the fall of the roman empire the early christian churches (not buildings but people) lost that message of jesus even further (which i believe was already distorted anyway by paul)  in their grab for power.

after the dust had settled the early christian churches (again people) realised they did not have much to base their religion on. the worlds of jesus are very few. so they decided to add paul's letters to the bible. bad mistake no 1. then they decided well we won't reinvent God and so let's add the Torah (old testament) to the bible. bad mistake no 2. and if this wasn't enough let's add the grandiose vision of the revelations. bad mistake no 3. in effect jesus simple message was lost even further when they decided to institutionalize it.

we ourselves (people) are the beginning and the end to all our problems.

by the way, buddhism (another religion) encourages it's followers to always ask questions and not to simply just accept what they have been told but go out into life and proves things to themselves. therefore buddhism encourages humans to achieve greater things.
typo correction = "the worlds of jesus are very few" should be "the words of jesus are very few"
just to clarify what i mean by bad mistake of the early christian churches not reinventing God as jesus did.
God of the old testament (moses) = jealous, vengeful.
God of the new testament (jesus) = forgiving, merciful.
It certainly does some. Others I'm not sure were meant for greater things.
What about when the field of science didn't exist. Art and ancient art were created to celebrate the gods?
Yes and no, as long as people try to crystallize within them the religious ideals of faith, love and so on its all good and helpful. When it turns to hate, anger and revenge "in the name of god"(eternal love) then it becomes repulsive and in an objective sense, blasphemous.
well if it wasn't for the dark ages to name one of many religion fueled set backs then we'd likely be much more advanced now.