No religion is correct

So at dinner tonight, my grandma is a hardcore Born again-Christian and she was talking about her friend's daughter whom is Jewish. She was talking about how incorrect the Jewish religion is and was basically saying the only religion that is correct was Christianity. I feel like no religion is correct, because religion is basically an opinion. That's like someone wearing a shirt you think is grotesque, while your friend thinks it's adorable! Neither are correct, but an opinion. Religion isn't correct, but an opinion. If you feel your religion is correct, don't bash other religions in public. Grandma always says 'how I should never judge people' yet she's basically judging Jews... I don't feel it's correct to do so.
Comments83
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
That's your opinion.

Like your Grandmother's. Or her friend's daughter.

The thing with people (everyone!) is that the opinions they hold are things they think are correct. Otherwise, that wouldn't be their opinion. And, let's face it, some opinions are wrong and harmful.

For example, let's take people who think vaccines cause autism or AIDS That's an opinion. And it's an opinion that's harmful. Would you go, "let's respect that opinion." Nope. You squash it whenever it comes up.

Your grandmother likely thinks that anyone who isn't a christian is wrong (of course, she's probably wrong). And as a such she's squashing anyone who isn't.

Of course, you can always just tell her to fuck herself. That's an equally valid opinion as well.
my grandma makes me wanna strangle myself
i hate quoting scripture but... Mathew 10:14 "if anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet" therefore christians that force their view upon others are acting in contrary to jesus instructions.

anyway in my opinion those who debate about which religion is correct have fallen off the spiritual path. they are too wrapped up in religous doctrine.

buddhist saying “Truth has nothing to do with words. Truth can be likened to the bright moon in the sky. Words, in this case, can be likened to a finger. The finger can point to the moon’s location. However, the finger is not the moon. To look at the moon, it is necessary to gaze beyond the finger”

religious doctrine is like trying to see the moon behind the clouds.
Grandmas become senile sometimes. Maybe she was raised in another era were racism was something normal. My grandma is like that sometimes, she doesn't care about religion but she still thinks native people from my country are almost savages...it's really hard to try to make them change their point of view, so that's it.
She is correct to a certain degree, but she's viewing it from a Chritian point of view that what Jewish believe in is wrong, Jewish religion is actually factually correct based on what is written in the Bible, all that remains is for their awaited leader to come and who they will accept instead of Jesus who they did not, this will occur near the apocalypse era and their leader has been given a specific time to kill or convert all remaining Christians to believe in him ( ie. satan ).
Christianity in general is more or less the main target of satan, hence you have so many different Christian groups who claim to worship God, but the way they do it actually makes them weaker. As far as Christianity goes Orthodox always been ahaid of Catholicism in its correctness towards worshiping God, hence they have been given more clues whilst Catholics have more or less stagnated. 
Saying that all original documentation is not correct is actually false, because it's 100% correct, and combines what the Jewish believe in and what Christians are supposed to, but don't necessarily need every part to be saved, the Old Testiment is no more than a battleground for non believers to exploit and believers to trip upon and dwell about Gods existence, I have learned to try to stay away from it when possible, because it brings more negativity than positivity, Jewish beliefs are all correct in the context of what is foretold, it doesn't mean it's the correct belief to become closer to God, and hence they did not accept Jesus and the New Testiment was written, you are correct, don't judge someone because they can enter Heaven before you do, can't really find any better example than the first person to actually enter it really O_O
we can't say: no religion is correct!
we can say all religions are correct! but all Devout(s) are wrong!
because simply ppl only see positive points of their own religions & negative points of other religions!

why no one thinks if X person religion is wrong then why is he keeping it!? why not looking for another
no wonder there is something that matches between X and his/her religion!
sure there is something acceptable widely in each religion!
but ppl don't search sometimes religion it's self stops ppl from searching and this is the wrongest wrong!:D (Big Grin) 
God said, do not trust any man! Trust only the "Word of God of the Bible." And, you will never be disappointed or go wrong.
Say, where did all your art go?
wow just wow. I believe that ALL religions are correct/real.
Catholicism is correct.
If your grandmother keeps this up, she's gonna eventually become a Neo-Elder-She-Hitler.

Agree to disagree always works.
So many religions are "turn the other cheek only to stab you in the back" Don't judge a religion by its followers but by its core teachings.  Most people professing to follow a religion are in name only but are not actually practicing the precepts of what the religion teaches.  The number of examples are countless.

In essence the only correct religions are the ones that actually achieve exactly what it says it can. That however is an entirely different debate.
By your penultimate sentence you would then have to agree that no religion is correct.
Somehow i think we agree on that point.
Why should anyone bother in believing anything soo incorrect as religion?
There is a quote i am fond of "people only pray to god for fear of hell and want of heaven"  religion is about fear, and everyone is afraid of dying even if they say they are not. 

Besides who knows what a person really believes and does not. I have met many atheists who categorically denies the existence of anything beyond the physical, but are afraid of ghosts.  People believe what they want to believe because the word "believe" exists. 
There is a quote I am much found of encompasses this entire discussion.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” - H.P. Lovecraft

Religion is the easy solution, a simple facade over the face of the unknown, an imposition of our vain desires (justice/reward). Science is the difficult and tedious task of actually exploring the unknown and attempting to understand it.

Science has not breached the realm of the mystic, it fails to understand or answer the many questions posed beginning with the simplest of all "reality" i would say as far as understanding the physical universe, science is no doubt the best vehicle for this, beyond that it becomes somewhat useless. Hence why people will gravitate towards differing answers. Unfortunately the most accessible is religion.

It also depends on your definition of religion, if you consider all practices based on spirituality to be religion, then regardless of your inclinations you would be wholly incorrect in thinking that some of them were the easy way out. Just examine some of the archaic ascetic practices, they would kill most people today, that is hardly the easy way out. Conventional religion though is most certainty an easy road. hence it's appeal.
View all replies
Religious conflict is like children arguing over who's imaginary friend is more real.
Yep! It's an opinion!
You're on the right track there.

After observing Christians on this site for so many years, I've come to a new conclusion. That is "Christianity left way too much for individual interpretations. When a Christian said something about Christianity, it is not Christianity they are speaking, they are speaking their opinions. You are not really learning Christianity, but that individual's thinking"

I am quite certain of this conclusion because time & time again, I can find people who claim themselves to be Christians disagree with things I actually asked missionaries about or actually quoting the missionaries word by word, outright saying how wrong they are.

Your grandmother is just complaining, she's not really speaking from Christianity. If I can still remember from my missionary friends correctly, Christians should hold Jews in high regards because they are closer to god. (Something I always disagree with from a historical point of view) Judaism is an incomplete religion because they refused to accept Christ, but that doesn't mean the Christian god hate the Jews. (Again, I disagree with this from a historical point of view). So, from what you said about your grandma, I'm not sure if she was just racist or just being like 1 of those Europeans who reviled the Jews. (I thought the "I hate Jews" is a long dead western thinking) So don't take her too seriously.
if you look at the book of Revelations, in particular, you find that the Jews get saved in the end by God.  so the sentiment that Jews are going to hell goes completely against the bible itself.

i think it depends on the sect you're dealing with.  the Catholics in particular (i was raised catholic) tend to have a very specific belief system with an old tradition attached to it.  one thing i've noticed on this board is that many "christians" tend to view catholics as "not christian"!  which is ridiculous given that the catholic church is supposedly the one established by Christ himself...
Yeah I know that the Jews are the favored people of the Christian god, but in European history, the Jews are well hated & target of persecution. So yeah, history speaks otherwise so I don't agree, not even to mention that these people who slaughtered the Jews are also the Catholics themselves.

Also, that's the funny thing about various Christian sects, they claim themselves to be from Christ or from god.
She hates every other religion because they don't worship God like Christianity does. Funny thing? She was Roman Catholic then converted to be a Born again Christian. I know they're very similar, but it's just ridiculous. She says everyone who doesn't believe in Christianity goes to hell (My pap wasn't Christian when he died almost 2 years ago).