if Christians abandoned large parts of the old testament, why haven't they abandoned genesis?

Why? The old testament is so often relegated as the archaic and hateful part of the bible, yet Christians so fervently hold on to the first part of it. With the big bang theory and evolution discrediting it- why has it not been abandoned? Modern day Christians pretty much only follow the new testament, yet genesis- remains a strong part of their beliefs in the twenty first century, why? Why genesis but not other parts of it? Why has genesis been cherry picked but other parts of the new testament have not? Is  a definite explanation for it? Why? Answers anyone?
Comments129
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
not actually to chrsitians, its like a difference on a way standard churchs or stalishment want to teach something, but the bible teaches something different, a christian who believe in the bible dont observe the law of ancient israel, for reasons explained on the bible, but all the stories related to it, and mentioned are considered truth.
I am a Christian and I cherish both old and new testament.
Not only me.
Jesus said the old testament testify about Him (John 5:39) and He also said He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets but He came to fulfill them (Matt 5:17).
Therefore, both testaments are important.
I have no idea. There are many different kinds of Christians, some more bigoted than others, some nicer than others. For example, not all Christians support hate towards homosexuality.
Isn't the first couple of books the Hebrew bible?
Most Christians believe Genesis is just an allegory for creation, so please, don't say "Christians" as if all of them believe Genesis is the literal creation.  In fact, many churches have openly stated Genesis is an allegory for creation CENTURIES AGO.  This "literal" interpretation of Genesis is --in the history of Christianity-- actually a recent phenomena mostly found in the USA (for whatever reason). 

There will always be extremists with narrow point of views within a group.  Although outspoken and obnoxious they shouldn't be representative of a whole populace. 
Genesis was about the creation. The rest of the old testament was very dreadful and hopeless...
Christians did not abandon parts of the Old Testament.  
Some parts of the New Testament amended parts of the Old Testament.
Christians have abandoned fasting, have abandoned Passover, have abandoned most of the means of 'making restitution' for sins, have largely abandoned the Ten Commandments (in favor of select phrases from the Gospel such as that notorious one in Leviticus) and openly demand what the meaning of the religion is and how it should be followed and how often they must go to worship- based entirely on their own personal beliefs and preferences. Yes they have.
Point by point reply.
Christians have not abandoned fasting, least of all catholics and Orthodoxy. Even if you ignore the continuity and parallel between the Seder and the Mass there are christian groups (not even talking about messianic Jews) who have messianic passovers. Its hard to "abandon the ten commandments" when most of them are so human nature that even people who hate Judaism/christianity tend to do them anyway (not murdering, stealing, adulterisationinging [is that how you turn adultery into a verb?] ). And practically all christians believe in Sunday as a "new sabbath". No they have not.
By "Christians" I mean people who actually follow their religion, not just ones who claim to be Christian and don't follow or spiral someplace else.  For example, there are people who call themselves Buddhist yet they eat and kill animals all the time.
Because if there was no Adam and Eve with the original sin, there would be no need for Jesus to die.
The title is misleading. The actual words were, that Jesus Abolished the law. He didn't abolish the old testament and disreguard what was happening at the time, he just disregarding the  Mosaic law that was written back then and still allowing for the Sabbath laws. Genesis is not a law but a telling of the beginning of everything.

www.gotquestions.org/abolish-f…

Why has genesis been cherry picked but other parts of the new testament have not?

Ive seen all parts of the bible cherry picked and not just the old testament on this forum.

Because they are fucking hypocrites, because even when it's an abandoned book they like to bring it up whenever it's convenient and pretend it's what god wanted even if Jesus shat on it.
Piggy back - intention for "Wraithsith", thanks!

"Modern day Christians pretty much only follow the new testament, yet genesis- remains a strong part of their beliefs in the twenty first century, why? Why genesis but not other parts of it? Why has genesis been cherry picked but other parts of the new testament have not? Is  a definite explanation for it? Why? Answers anyone?" ------->>>

Why? Because, Genesis account has remain very strong and it is part of the bible, that can only unlock the beginning of God's creation. So far, no atheist neither scientist has disprove the Bible. 

It is also, answers the most basic fundemantal questions of life and human existence. (i.e.), Where did we came from? Why are we here? What is our purpose? What happen to us when we die? Is there life after, death? Genesis account is the foundation in which the questions are answered and it unlocks all the mysteries questions for atheiest and scientist. The book of Genesis is the root of a tree and it is the anchor of the scriptures, that provides a "spiritual life." If cut the root from the tree, it dies. So, if you discredit the account of Genesis - you're removing the authority and the most valuable of all Scriptures in the Bible.
The thing is unless you already believe it it holds no weight as an explanation.  There is no control, no scientific method, just an old story.  Sure there is much we can learn from the bible but it can only offer an origin story which could well be as allegorical as anything else in there like the parallels of Jesus or the spiritual meaning of slavery.
Ah... What do you mean by 'disproving' the bible? Besides all the contradictions and falsehoods in the bible? Besides the unsavoury things that we now know are wrong (at least, by society's standards), such as slavery (which the bible mandates)?

It doesn't answer anything. It merely presents a possible scenario. However, until the Genesis account can be proven, it remains nothing but a story in ancient scripture...
That means, you don't know the Bible very well. This questions has been repeated so many times on this forum. I suggest that you should study the Bible by comparing scriptures with scriptures to rest of the whole Bible. Only then, you will be able to understand the Spiritual meanings, such as slavery.
Why don't you explain it to me? I don't really care what the Bible has to say on the matter. I'm more interested in the logical reasoning behind how people like you justify it.
Again, you should spend lots of time reading the word of God of the Bible, if you're really searching for truth. Otherwise, it would take thousands words to explain this to you.
Alright, you be happy with you bible then. I'm not gonna waste time reading it when the logic isn't there.
View all replies
Alright, you be happy with you bible then. I'm not gonna waste time reading it when the logic isn't there.
One thing I always found humorous was how som may also cite a verse from Leviticus and say this is why homosexuality is a sin. 

Really? Did you also know that according to the old testament, if you work on a Saturday you shall be put to death? Did you also know you can't wear tattoos? Did you also know you can't wear clothing of mixed fabrics? Did you also know the old testament tells you that you can't eat shrimp or pork? Isn't it quite funny how most of these things tend to be more convenience issues? 
"Even, if it was not written in the bible, they will doit anyway."
Then why're people ignoring it? You can't just pick and choose.