Atheist graveyards

Should atheists have their own graveyards?

The reason i'm asking is because over here there is a communal graveyard and some athiests are freaking out because there is a cross marking it. Obviously they want it taken down.
   They argue that some of the people buried there "MIGHT" be atheist. Perhaps they think there should be a stone with the words "there is no God" next to the cross.

Anyway. should atheists who dont want to be cremated get there own graveyard because they find consecrated ground so offensive.
    Is atheism a belief?

============= UPDATE=============
  Ok there are too many posts for me to address individually but many of them address the same things so i'll give my opinion.
     There is something i forget to mention and thats that the communal grave belongs to people who donated their bodies to science and that the graveyard as far as i know is on hospital grounds.

BTW. There is no reason to suspect that anybody buried there is an atheist while its absolutely certain that there are christians buried there,  
  Even if there are just two people buried there and one as an atheist and one was a christian then the atheists still wouldnt have a case for asking for the cross to be taken down, since when can someones "not belief" be more important than someone elses belief?

What atheists do or dont believe is of no importance whatsoever.
Comments1354
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I can't believe people are complaining about this, and that's coming from an agnostic. I mean I get not wanting to have religion shoved down your throat but I think it's a given that if you want your beliefs to be respected, you should respect others as well. I would promote the idea of a graveyard that spiritually neutral, simply because everyone deserves to be buried in a place that respects their beliefs.  But if the graveyard has already been designated as a Christian place, bury your dead there and just ignore it. 

And yes atheist beliefs (or the lack of, whichever you please to refer to it as)deserve to be respected, as do pagan and every other belief out there. But if we had a graveyard that was exempt from all religious influence, and had only non-theist bodies, it would be equally rude for a hoard of Christians to come in a load it with religious memorabilia. Long story short, everybody should just quit their whining and be more tolerant of people's beliefs. That goes for religious folk, and other wise. 

(I'm aware that this seems to be a ploy to strike controversy, but just my two cents nevertheless.) 
Oh look, another 'christian' who considers beliefs more important than knowledge.

You're an idiot.
When you got support, 
no one sayin he's just dreamin', 
it's not for real. 
This apathy cannot hold me, 
in those that oppose I find my victory. 
Kindness isn't enough, true, 
challenge me and this reality'll be 
the bottom of a pool my teeth dive through, 
and when they fall out it'll be from the clouds I call to. 
Only one sayin' I'm dreamin', 
else they think it's real, 
cause this dream's divine is last denyin' the trill

Really?  I've never heard an atheist complain about religious iconography on graveyards, but I suppose it's possible some have.  Religion - particularly Christianity - has played and continues to play an integral role in our culture.  Removing existing religious iconography from places like graveyards would seem to be an act of revisionist history.  I'm not religious, but I do find crosses and angels and other such things of value.

But again, I don't know who's saying we should take crosses out of graveyards.  Is this a real dispute or a fake one just for the sake of controversy.  OP - citation needed.
Here's the real story: www.irishtimes.com/news/social…

Macker33 is lying and for some strange reason he still think he can keep up the lie despite having been exposed in this whole thread of his.
Thanks!  That's a great headstone.
Its real, the guys a well known crank
Wow? Really? I couldn't care less if there was a religious symbol near where I was buried because I'd be too busy being dead.
well it bothers some people
There's always cremation.
Well, someone's putting a lot of effort into something "of no importance whatsoever" again...
Thats what i always think about atheists, why the fvck do they bother?
Because they want to. Why do you?
Difference is when christianity speaks people are better off, same cant be said of atheism.
Except that when you look at all the Countries in the world today - those must religious, including Christianity are doing very poorly, and the virtually all who claim 70%+ Atheist or Non-Associated are doing very well.

Funny how that turns out.
"virtually all who claim 70%+ Atheist or Non-Associated are doing very well"

Not all of them exactly. There are very few exceptions like Russia, China, and North Korea. I wish I knew where was that graph to point that out, but ok. 
To compare advanced economies such as China and Russia we would have to take into considerations Geopolitics and previous wars; The middle east and Africa capitulated, in addition to most other Western economies such as Europe, this involved one sided trade agreements, the "safekeeping" of gold, and everyone adopting USD which the US has inflated over 98% in the last 100 years, which is nothing but a transfer of wealth and theft from our "allies" whom we happen to have military bases inside their territory - because we are really concerned for their safety.

Despite both Russia and China's collapse due to wars and economic competition their quality of life is far better than any Country on the planet who is strongly religious. America is the most religious out of any of our allies and the quality of life is absolutely abysmal in comparison.

Communism and Fascism is it's own ideology, especially in North Korea which is like a big personality cult

While overall Theology is the most potent when limiting progress.

Nor would State-ism as practiced in Western cultures completely free of Ideology either.
View all replies
Thats true, more specifically its the catholic countries that were worst hit by the financial crisis.
  Its only money anyway.
Isn't lying a sin? You should stop doing it. People are much better off when you keep your imaginary friends to yourself.
I guess it wouldn't make any difference to you.
View all replies
Lying about others is also called "Bearing False Wittiness".  So yeah, it's a sin...
View all replies