Misogyny

A recent disturbing, graphic, and horrific chain of tweets was hurled at a woman, Anita Sarkeesian, from a sick and twisted person, that quite frankly I feel ashamed of even sharing the same Y chromosome with.  Death threats to friends and family and obscene and graphic commentary deserving of only hatred and contempt.

pbs.twimg.com/media/BwEefh5IcA…
wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/08…

It's shit like this that gets my blood boiling.  This little and weak man's filth is in response to a highly intelligent and reasoned installment of her video series depicting sexual objectification and domestic violence against women in video games.  She lands it home in that video and I paused and thought that there really is a problem in the gaming industry with that even though I don't play games.  Now she gets a stream of vicious emails and the most disgusting correspondence to the point that her and her family leave their home for safety.  hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/0…

I think it's about that time as men we stand up against this.

psarmstrong.files.wordpress.co…

In fact I think there should be dA recognition to promote gender equality in light of the recent issues that have surfaced due to the misogyny that's being churned out like butter in a corporate dairy farm.  Let me give you some of this filth for your disgust:

Shitbag Heartiste:

A man can sample the slits and furrows of outrageous fortune and survive the whirlwind of passion to mark a day in the future when he contentedly and without pathological second-guessing slips into a stabler, longer term commitment.

Women who have sampled a poo poo platter of penes accumulate emotional scars that never heal; promiscuous women have a mental storage closet filled with five minute montages of alpha male love, and these exciting, prurient memories rob the female id of something important. Call it purity or innocence or self-worth or ability to appreciate romantic idealism, the slut with ass chafing from riding the cock carousel is never the same as she was before she let herself get pummeled by dick.

What can we do as guys to take a stance against this disgusting onslaught against women?  Women I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Comments200
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well the situation sounds like the same old same old. I wouldn't go so far as to call it disgusting, more like, annoying.

What can men do about misogyny?
Id say the first step is to step away from white knighting and develop an internal motivation for your actions to or for a certain group or not, rather then following trends and systems.
not actually a spammer ;D thanks for trying
Comment Flagged as Spam
3wyl  the person i'm replying to is a spammer.
Noted, thanks.
I dunno enough about the situation to say either way as far as how the shit-storm got started; whatever happened, the resulting misogyny is appalling. 
I was reading from another source the beginnings of #GamerGate but the wiki is pretty dang close to it.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergat…

It was condemned by international media sources as anti-feminist,[1] and heightened discussion of sexism and misogyny in the gaming community

Yes, it's more anti-feminist then it's concerns with "ethics".  This decision and others have been widely criticized in the media as evidence that the ethics concerns are only a front for a culture war against people working to diversify the video game demographic. The Gamergate group's origins in the false allegations and harassment of Quinn, its failure to identify significant ethical issues in games media, and its frequent criticism of game critics who discuss issues of gender, class, and politics in their reviews have also been cited as evidence for this position.  Pretty good right there.
>quotes wikipedia on politically charged issue

Kek.
Let's examine why she appears to be winning. She's not winning because she's right, she's winning because:

* She's a female who plays the victim card.
The 'victim card' guarantees her +10 public opinion and other bonuses. Note that all these bonuses only apply because she's a female. If you're a male, then victim card can not be played (case in point, see: guy who started #NotYourShield, Boogie, Milo, et cetera. Even Fish couldn't play the victim card.)
* Tumblr managed to redefine harassment: now word 'harassment' is functionally equivalent to the word 'disagreement', which gives additional buff to her victimhood. Because now you can paint everybody who disagrees with you a harrasser
* Opposition has to prove a negative. Proving a negative is often harder than proving a negative.
* She's deliberately misrepresenting the issue, is taking things out of context and  cherry-picks the evidence. People who don't know better just listen and believe. This wouldn't be a problem if her followers actually played the games she criticizes. However, the crowd who hails her as their queen seem to have never played much of the games she paints as misogynistic. Hey look there's strippers everywhere! This game is sexist! Objectifies women! ... W_D and the slave trade. Game encourages you to kill objectified hookers! Yea no, Hitman penalizes you for killing people that aren't your target.
* She's effectively pro censorship.
* She self-identifies as feminist

Oh, and by the way... checked the wikipedia article.
That thing is approximately as wrong as it gets.
Yeah I've heard all these arguments.  :shrug:

And I guess it's the fact that she identifies as a feminist as an argument against her position according to your list.  Reactionary antifeminism is at all time highs these last few years, thanks to the internet.  Not everything from the internet has turned out all that great.  Although from it's bad sides, the good sides I think outweigh it rather well.  If it wasn't for the internet and reading the actual definition of feminism according to the dictionary and figuring out the underlying causes of antifeminism and it's primary political bent and it's traditional religious underpinnings, I wouldn't have found myself consciously supporting feminism.  :dummy:
>  Reactionary antifeminism is at all time highs these last few years, thanks to the internet.

Well, thank Tumblr for that. When paragons of modern feminism are bullshit such as:

* "#killallmen"
* "Imagine a bowl of M&M, 10% are poison. Take a handful"
* using "check your privilege" to evade criticism and counter-arguments, silencing views one doesn't agree with (Toronto)
* pretending that only women get harrased/only women getting harassed is problematic
* double standards (female nudes? Gross, that's awful. TAKE IT OFF THE ITNERNET! Hulk Hogan (I think) sex tape? Nope, we aren't taking it down!)
* "This nail polish that detects rape drug is oppresive and objectifying! We shouldn't teach women how not to get raped, we should teach males not to rape!" {I can't decide which of the two statements is more retarded}
* Donglegate
* Dev getting shit for not merging a commit that made docs gender neutral even though he declined because the commit didn't follow proper procedure
* Bropages (manpages, except with examples) discussion on hackernews

then it isn't really too hard to hate on feminism.
View all replies
:stare: I really fucking hate people, sometimes. 
:hug: I hear ya!  So many ignoramuses.  I would have rather been born in a hunter gatherer society 30,000 years ago or so, or have been born roughly 1,000 more years into the future.

But don't let it get to you too much.  Being happy is the best revenge. ;p  And it's not even revenge, it's not allowing others to beat you down to their level of shittiness.
Was this guy real or was this just a hoax to prompt the conversation to lean on a particular direction? Like the Emma Watson thing.
FBI is on it.  Threats are real.
I'll wait for the results of the investigation. Easy to make threats, ability to carry it out, different story.
I take it you might not know much about the dark triad then.  When you're dealing with people in that disorder spectrum, you don't put much past them.  Just think Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer.
The school shooters are the more likely profile. Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer will give no warning.
Nope you don't know much about it.  School shooters, or more aptly, mass murderers have for the most part shown to have "antisocial" issues.  Antisocial as in antisocial personality disorder which doesn't mean someone doesn't talk much to others.  In the ICD-10 it's called "Dissocial Personality Disorder" and is basically the larger umbrella that overshadows sociopaths, the link to psychopathy.  Some mass murderers have been known to be schizophrenic, but most are antisocial if you look at the psychological profiles of recent mass murderers.

So same disorder spectrum as Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer.  Both also have antisocial personality disorder, or more aptly are considered sadistic psychopaths.  When you're dealing with people in this disorder spectrum, many are not killers but do very harmful things ayway.  If you're dealing with one, making these kinds of sick threats, then yeah the FBI is going to jump in.  You're not speaking from a position of knowledge, but a position widely held by the opposition that she's "making it up."  Victim blaming in other words.
'Victim blaming'?
Now that is a big leap.

You seem to fixate on the whats. I much prefer to look into the whys. Too bad that's considered as victim blaming nowadays.

It boils down to empathy and the capacity for it.
View all replies
meh sadly people with controversial opinions get those all the time
Men act this way because they have for so long and on one has told them it was wrong, woman put up with up for the same reason.  Men are human beings perfectly capable of controlling themselves and to give them an excuse to act like a psycho path just because they're a guy is ridiculous.  It's also ridiculous to hate someone just because they have a certain body part.  
Anita Sarkeesian is a joke.