We live in a world of perception, not reality!

Interesting quote I got from this eye illusion site: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVgOLW…;

So, what do you guys think? Do we live in a world of perception, or reality? I think in a way it makes sense because we all see things differently, and what not. Hard to say. A depressed person like myself could look at a baby (true for me) and say "Ew!
" but someone else would say, oh that's a beautiful baby :) New start of life, mircale and what not.

I see miracles as a "once in a blue moon" or something that could not happen often? But who knows.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is perception everyone's OWN reality or they're the same thing?

Or is reality something everyone sees?
Comments45
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Wait wait wait I got this: perception is created and fed by reality and omnipotent over spirit, and thus must be regulated by a reality-inspired reasoning because: everything you see belongs to you as it is in your head (as you perceive it by whatever is in your head created by reality and seeparated from it by a rung of abstraction or whatever; you own a "perception copy of reality"). Though it doesn't belong to you at all. shoot me I'm wineLa dies 
Honestly this whole topic is fucking confusing. My brain is going to implode...then head gonna explode...YAY!
Yeah! oh I dont think i would've been this smart ass wannabe without being tipsy...
so how are you?:la:
Eh I had a glass of wine for dinner so I guess i am LITTLE tipsy but not ba d LOL :)

I actually wrote this topic when I was tipsy...ironically. Now after I sobered up I was like "I don't fucking know anymore ;;"
It's a wine topic...Giggle
sometimes everything seems so boring while sober. oh it doesnt sound right...
I love sweet wine :love: Moscotto! Whoop!
I nevver tasted moscotto but sweet wine is... well sweet.^^
View all replies
I would say that we live in reality and we perceive it through our senses.

Our senses are limited and our interpretation of the data we receive through our senses can at times be faulty (which makes illusions work).

We can to some degree compensate for the limitations using tools that can measure outside our limitations and for faulty interpretation through making many observations and tests.

All in all I believe our (humanity's) understanding of reality is fairly good on the level where we live. Individual members of humanity can however have a really bad understanding of reality.

Whether a baby is beautiful or not, is in the eye of the beholder. Has nothing to do with reality.
Yes, I guess you mean interpretation. Even though our eye interprets the World around you differently, we all see the same thing. Much like the same way the brain interprets our experience and senses.
In addition to the waves we can't see as pointed out by Underdell, we also can't always see beyond our own biases. Reality exists, but no one can fully see it.
And our arrogance and rationalization makes us constrict the possibilities of what reality is to a small, fragmentary and flawed model of reality.

The silly thing is people do not see the flaw in dismissing other people's claims that go outside of their own flawed model, even if they don't know any better
Of course, our perception of reality is only a small percentage of the true form of reality. This is fact. 

We are unable to see countless spectrum colours, we can't see radio waves, radiation, magnetic waves, microwaves, etc. etc.

Our brains are only capable of deciphering a fragment of the true form of reality. There are certain things in our reality that grant us access to an augmented brain processing capability and unlock a truer perception of reality, but these are generally seen as hallucinogens, dismissed as a trick of the chemicals
About perception and reality I like the theory of a spanish philosopher, Ortega y Gasset, who says that reality is not distorted by our senses like other philosopher said. He believes that reality is a whole thing, like a polyhedron but who has infinite faces. Every face of the polyhedron is a point of view which belongs to a person. What happens with that? The thing is that this mean every one has a point of view of the reality, which represent reality for that person but is not reality in itself because in the point of view, that person see a limited reality. Reality in itself would be the joining togheter of all the different views, which will make a pure reality, "the truth", something which will never could be known by the human, cause we always are attached to our own point of view, limited by our personal circustances (our time context, place context and emotional context). That's what I usually think about reality.

Between perception and reality I prefer perception, because realityis something deep which I find we cannot truly reach, what reality is in the daily life is something we have create based in the common perpectives and agreement. 
We believe what we want to believe, but when others look at something, it becomes their perception and it's up to us to accept it or not.

However, when it comes to job interviews, your reality does not matter when it's their perception of you makes the difference if they're going to hire you or not.

Unless you give them statistical facts and proof, it's their words against yours. 
Yeah that makes sense XD It's confusing really with diff. views of that.  :shrug:

True true.
Perception is reality. Bare with me if I perceive like you that a baby is not cute mainly because of my autism, then for me in my reality babies aren't cute. I think reality is an individual thing rather than a corporate ever-changing event I hope I have explained myself fully in a way that is slightly understandable I am bad with words.
you need to look into phenomenology.  neat stuff.
:pointr: I have moved this thread to the Philosophy and Religion Forum as it is better suited here.
It is not a secret that we live inside the matrix :iconwoooplz:
interesting topic. Honestly tho, in a world where photoshop replaces photos & things like facebook replace friendships, I can't say that we live in full reality anymore
Both. It's inside and outside story.