The God's Not Dead Challenge

So a friend of mine texted me yesterday after seeing the movie "God's Not Dead" with the title of the movie so I called her back and asked her what was going on because I was unaware of this movie. She explained that there was a boy in a college class who believed in God but his atheist philosophy professor said that if he wanted to pass the class he had to prove that God is not dead. 

As a pantheist I can go a few routes with this if I were in the class. 
1.) God is not dead because God was never alive to begin with because the universe is not sentient. 
2.) God is not dead because God includes all of us and we are alive so at least part of God is alive. 
3.) God is not dead because gods are subjectively defined as what is most "sacred" to the individual and because the idea is "alive" in my mind God cannot be dead. 

So if you were in the class and had to prove that God is not dead then what would you say? If you are an atheist and want to answer this thread just play the devil's advocate. 
Comments177
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
That movie is very bigoted...ffs
1. You are wrong about that the Universe is Sentient the reason? Well where did you come from? And what are you in? Therefore if you are in the universe and can think and feel that would mean the universe is the same as well because you are in the universe.
I would play "God is Dead?" by Black Sabbath and let Ozzy blow his mind with metal.
If Odid was deaded the dark elfs would rape us like in the poem! Checkmate atheists :dummy:
I guess I'll defend the Christian god (because my gods are weird!)

Firstly, god must exist for it to be dead, so this question assumes that there is a god.
Secondly, if a being is god, then it must satisfy the conditions of what it is to be god (posses god's power, knowledge, mannerisms, etc.)
Thirdly, considering that the god I have selected specifically has under its list of powers the power to conquer death, it is obvious that that god cannot be dead. If it were, then it would not be god.
How do God(s) die anyway? Is it a term to explain a cultural phenomenon that no longer exists, like "the year music died" or "chivalry is dead"?
see Nietzsche.
As has already been pointed out, 'God is not dead' is not a literal quote, but in reference to humanity's need to use gods to power their morality and/or ethical behavior. And that it is increasingly not the case. Not only individuals rely on their own personal moral compass, but, in the US, we are forbidden from making law based on theology alone. Instead we must provide rational, tangible reasons for why we think a position has negative or positive gain. 'God is dead,' then, is speaking of the power of religion which has ebbed over time, and humans must accept that if we are to keep the world from chaos, we must take a personal responsibility to each other and that world. Rather than to some missing god.
So... God's not dead, it's just been converted to logic, rationality, and reasoning.
Religion is the first answer for everything but it is because it was our first it is also are worst.
As has already been pointed out, 'God is not dead' is not a literal quote, but in reference to humanity's need to use gods to power their morality and/or ethical behavior. And that it is increasingly not the case. Not only individuals rely on their own personal moral compass, but, in the US, we are forbidden from making law based on theology alone. Instead we must provide rational, tangible reasons for why we think a position has negative or positive gain. 'God is dead,' then, is speaking of the power of religion which has ebbed over time, and humans must accept that if we are to keep the world from chaos, we must take a personal responsibility to each other and that world. Rather than to some missing god.
God's not dead because he's a spiritual being, and spiritual beings can't die.
God's not dead because he's alive in the hearts of those who have faith in him.
God's not dead because he lives in his word (the Bible is referred to in some denominations as "The Living Word") 

I think the first two just re-word your points, though.  
"So if you were in the class, and had to prove that God is not dead, what would you say?"

That's easy!  =P

1.  If God is real, then He is not dead.  Otherwise He would not be God.

2.  If God is not real, He is not dead, because He never existed.

That would be my answer.
God's an idea stupid. 
If you're so smart then you would have realized that's exactly what point 3 says. 
"So if you were in the class and had to prove that God is not dead then what would you say?"

Prove that you are alive or dead yourself. If you have not experienced death how would you know what being alive is?
I would explain the physical properties of a dead person and an alive person, how they are different, and demonstrate how I exhibit the properties of an alive person. I would then point out how you were attempting to diverge the question away from yourself by asking me a superficial question instead of answering the question presented to you.
Mine was not an answer but a suggestive point. Namely how can you know life without experience of death? Describing a dead thing vs an alive thing would make the person look like they have no understanding whatsoever, given the context of my point, mainly because that has no relevance whatsoever to what was being indicated.  The question was "is God dead" but without any definition of death or context, you may as well ask a donkey if it knows what particle science is about.  Keep in mind i have not seen the film nor know what it is about.  The question itself is beyond laughable anyway, If such a person actually thought about the "God Concept" i.e infinite eternity. Then the question itself only shows the person asking the question is an idiot or highly ignorant. If you don't believe in God that i can fully appreciate and understand, but if a person uses a concept like that, then they should at least think about it before asking such a dumb question.
Obviously the movie is made by Christians to glorify Christians and make Atheists look all bitter and ignorant. Had the antagonist portrayed accurately represented the Atheist philosophy in the slightest, he would not insist that "god is dead" anymore than a person who doesn't believe that dinosaurs ever existed would say that they are extinct.
exactly why i considered the question absurd, as it is only relevant to someone who believes in God.
Hence why the OP insisted that we play the Devil's advocate. 
I really doubt that answer would work.