on sin

He who sins is forgiven on the command of Jesus, therefore sin a lot. What do you say?
Comments36
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Sex is evil,
Evil is sin,
Sin is forgivable,
So sex is in!
Jesus (as) never commanded that.

/thread
Ummm... I'm no christian buuuut I'm not sure that OP's supposition is true...

Assuming it is though; If there are no repercussions to an action that one enjoys they'll likely keep doing it. Same goes if those repercussions are canceled out constantly. IF Jesus was to command that all sins are to be forgiven (by whom? god? himself? other people?) it would lead one to believe that people might think it's fine to sin. Unless in the process of their forgiveness they legitimately learn that the sin they committed was unjust.

But, I don't think the bible actually endorses disingenuous repentance. And I think even god would have limits for his forgiveness. We might need to have some actual Christians well versed in the scriptures to weight in and confirm that.
You know what's a sin?

All these fair weather Lakers fans.
When the team was losing and in disarray you didn't hear shit, you didn't see shit, and you didn't have to
deal with Fakers fans.

Now the team wins a few games, looks good, and the fuckers explode out of the sewers like it's the movie C.H.U.D.

Can't the next meteor hit LA? :eager:

Repentance is necessary, therefore you cannot enjoy your sin.
Repentance is merely saying 'sorry'
Biblical repentance isn't 'sorry'. That would be attributed to "remorse" in both Jewish and Christian understanding.

Remorse is either feeling bad that you got caught, feeling embarrassed and ashamed, and saying "sorry" (e.g. Saul from OT)
Repentance is doing things that are different, turning away from the sinful activity, etc. (e.g. People of Nineveh)
So what's the point of confession then?
I must admit I'm not totally sure where you are coming from (if you mean "confession" as it applies to catholicism or confession as a general relational practice... etc.) But I can tell you from my personal experience that my confessions of wrong doing to others help to heal my relationships (giving validation and acknowledgement to the offended), helping reconciliation occur. Of course, it can't stop there, right? If I say outloud "I'm sorry, that was wrong" I may validate for my friend that she was really wronged, but If I don't do anything about it, then she'll just get hurt again, and this would reveal my lack of desire to change. [there are exceptions of course - i.e. am i suffering from addiction? mind is not well?]

Also, confession seems to help my own walk. Once I "put it out there", its a lot harder to hide from my own shortcomings and mistakes. Its like shining a light in the corners of the basement. I have to admit to myself that scary monster is in that corner.
If christians go into confessionals at church for forgiveness why can't a simple "I'm sorry" by Hitler at the gates be enough?

It's all moot anyway since there is no afterlife but still, the abrahamic religions have so many sects and rules on getting into happy funtime land it's silly.
Yes! The rules and regulations are pointless when it comes to the after life, or doing good, etc.

It is all silly. The fact that someone could do XYZ, and expect to earn anything when it comes to God is preposterous (whether it be inheriting eternal life, or anything else). "Going into confessionals" and performing other similar rituals have zero power to do anything.

Trust in God allows him to heal our broken and shattered hearts and free us from being captive to our own sins, addictions, etc. Its all about God making us clean on the inside, so that we can be clean on the outside.
View all replies
As it relates to Christianity in general... Jesus said he came to heal the sick, not those that think they are well. If I am unwilling to admit that I'm wrong or doing wrong, then Jesus can't heal me, because I won't let him. Also, if I just try to "change" my habits, it will typically fail, because my heart has not been made well.

Its not unlike many alcoholics that try to just "drink a lot less" and fail, because they are unwilling to admit that they are an alcoholic (the beginning place of healing). They are unable to make the changes by themselves, because their addictions drive them almost irrationally.
You gotta mean it cause god is psychic :iconwooooplz:
I can enjoy a drink, does that make me less of a sinner?
It makes you guilty of being areligious, probably.
As long as I am not amoral, I couldn't give a stuff.
I don't think amorality is possible if you are the one judging it. However, you are probably amoral to someone else.
I'd rather be immoral than amoral.
Would you repent your immorality?
View all replies
I think they should be good because it is good to be good, and should stay away from doing stupid things for the simple reason that it is wrong. If one is forgiven for these alleged sins, and then sins again, then they were obviously not very sorry to begin with, were they? Or perhaps they are using this "forgiveness" as a free ticket to wrong-doing. That is what it looks like to me.
Is God mistaken then if he forgives a sinner?