I believe in god

...is a self contradictory statement.
we don't say I believe in tree or sun because those are objective things. That is a tree or the sun is out.
But god is a concept and the very idea that you have to believe in it proves its non existence. If god was true it would be self evident, you could see it, hear it touch it. Let me know when you can cause I'll meet you there.
Comments172
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
its a self contradictory statement to say that you wouldn't believe in a tree, or sun, or love, or trust, or conception, or stimulation, or emphatic simulation, or in God. something thats obvious doesnt ask for doubt. its there and anyone with a few curves in their brains can make the connection to Gods existence. except the ones that are trying to debate religion on intellectual grounds. put them on a sinking ship in the carribean and they will pray "oh God" just the same.
God is 100% real, if he wasnt real where did the earth come from, and if the big bang was true(which it is not) where did that come from huh. The lord created everything!!! He is the Alpha and Omega! Jesus died for all of our sins and you ust believe it. If you are your own god why can't you mak a new living, real species? Eh. Science can not even create a blade of grass without using a little particle of real grass the lord has mad. If you do not believe in him, then go ahead, be my geust but you will have to face him on judgement day. Which by the looks of it is near.
Believe in the lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No truth is self evident.
Just wanted to add that you should look at the definition of believe.

be·lieve
/biˈlēv/
Verb
1. Accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of: "the superintendent believed Lancaster's story".
2. Accept the statement of (someone) as true.

So if you say "I believe in God" Then you are saying you hold him as truth and that he will do what he has said in the Bible.
This is actually a good point you have. I have liked to say "I believe in God" but then again I never doubted his existence. Though now it is making think what you would say instead of "I believe" because it sounds a harsh to tell someone, who doesn't agree, that "God Exists". Then again it actually doesn't sound that weird. Plus saying "God Exists" would lead into a deeper conversation I imagine much more often than saying "I believe in God".
The Bible teaches very clear, we are all "spritiually dead" and can't believe in God, nor can dicern the "spiritual things of God." Believing is not something you have contributed or you did and part to believe in him. Believing, is 100% the work of God.
you dont even know what you're saying. these are two different statements;

I believe that god exists.
I believe in god.

they are different. Belief in god is when you believe that he can answer prayers, like "i believe in the social democrats". Belief that god exists is when you think he exists like "i believe that this cake exists".

Get it right.
On the contrary the meaning is the exact same. When someone states they believe in god they are in fact admitting to his perceived existence. On the other hand you are correct for the statement "I believe in god" can be used in the context you describe but it still hinges on his perceived existence.
Social democrats do exist however and do not rely on your belief in them to exist. Belief is not equivalent to voting. On a side note anyone who believes a politician is about as crazy as believing in a fictional creation from a story book.
no, we learned this in philosophy, i wrote an essay on it.

belief in is different to belief that, take a fucking english class. You can believe that god exists but you dont have to believe in god.
Would God be proven to exist to you if I claimed to know that he is real instead of merely believing that he is?
well im willing to compramise
Compromises are for losers. D-:<
View all replies
I believe in the trees and the sun and the birds and the bees.
yes all hail trees and the sun and the birds and the bees.
but their existence does not hinge on your belief in them. Unlike god who only exists as a belief.
He does exist! God says, there's none that are good, no not one. There's none, that are righteous, no not one. There's NONE that, Seeketh after God. No, not one. No man can come to Christ, unless God draws you first. Because, all man are "spiritually dead", and can't discern the truth.
You raise an interesting philosophical question: is reality dependent on my existence? Unfortunately, I don't know the answer.
Then, seek God - to get your answer.
What if I am God?