Christians who claim to "hate the sin but love the sinner"

Particularly, I see this claim made about homosexuals (and I guess bisexuals, trans people, et c, if they even acknowledge those exist) and particularly, from christians, although representatives of other religions do make it from time to time.

How exactly can christians claim that they "love" the homosexuals, or even that they have no problem with them, but then turn around and tell them that they should change who they are, because otherwise they're horrible sinners? Do they not see the contradiction?

It's like if I told them "I don't hate christians, but I think the act of christianity is wrong. It's ok to be a christian, but I'm going to persecute you to all hell if you dare worship your deity publicly, or do anything... christiany." Would that make sense in any way?

Homophobic christians, please, at least have some backbone and tell it straight out how it is - say that you hate homosexuals, at least you'd be honest. Horribly bigoted and hateful, but honest.
Comments467
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
They say these things because it allows them to get away with being a bigot, and still feel self-righteous.
It's like the previous pope said divorce is a sin...and homosexuality is a sin...doesn't that make gay people who were already married some kind of paradox? Imean the pope doesn't want them to get divorced so does that mean he approves?
this is why im an atheist! :D
This is how I think of it: You can "hate" the fact that a man is blind, but you can still love him, you just "hate" the fact that there is nothing you can do for him, cuz that's just how it is. That's how I see it anyways.
The New Atheists say they hate the religious belief but not the religious believer. It is absolute bullshit if you ask me. To me, the personal is politics and politics is shit.
What do you know about religious? Your an atheiest.
And you can't even type a three word sentence without fucking up, so I don't think your opinion really counts for much. :lol:
I won't get into politics with you.
>Homophobic christians, please, at least have some backbone and tell it straight out how it is - say that you hate homosexuals, at least you'd be honest. Horribly bigoted and hateful, but honest.

For the most part, it appears to be self-loathing, [link] and [link] . And a decent popular science summary, [link] .

Those people deserve our pity more than anything else, that and some therapy.

VE.
hm, I'm not sure how to respond to your examples, but in the very basic sense of it I think that it goes something like this: Everyone makes mistakes and deserve to be forgiven. If you choose to sin constantly then I don't know what to say to that.
There's no such thing as "sin"
My interpretation is this: People are generally spiritual terrorists who bring negativity into your life due to your (insert benign difference here), and cherry-pick stuff to back up their beliefs, unless it's inconvenient to actually justify them. Then it's a matter of "faith"; this is double-speak for "knowing the mind of god". People will generally be polite, but inwardly criticize everything about you, and hold you against their standards for what constitutes a decent human being. Insert whatever rigid system of beliefs if christianity doesn't apply.

These opinions do not necessarily represent the opinions of humanity or its affiliate species.
Do you know the concept of SPAG, ie. "Self Projected As God"?

Basically, it's like, every christian has their own interpretation of the bible, everyone of them has a different idea of what god is like. Most often, their idea of god reflects their own beliefs and ideas, and simply validates their already existing beliefs and prejudices. Then they pick out parts of the bible that validate those beliefs, and ignore the ones that contradict them.
Hahah now that is the framing I've been looking for! What a joyous occasion! I can see myself going around calling out people for being "Spags". :D

... but seriously, this is what I was trying to express, in my own roundabout sort of way.

Isn't it pitiful how unlikely some people are to become aware of this taking place in their minds? I say, the 3rd world war will be waged within!
Well, to be fair, it isn't limited only to religion or religious people. A vast majority of people sort of go through life on autopilot.

What it means is that most people don't question their own impulses. Most people are unable to really deconstruct their own thought patterns and seriously question their beliefs. That's partly why there's a huge gambling industry, how it's easy to manipulate poll results, etc.
I know what it means, friend. However it is somewhat interesting that SPAG can be used to explain secular beliefs.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't, just making conversation...

All the same, religious people can be called Spaggots.
that's too good... I'll try to avoid hatespeech when it comes to decent folk, at least.
View all replies
I chuckled when I read this! If I had a nickel for every time a fellow Christian has told me they hate the sin but not the sinner...
I hear it all the time. I've always interpreted it differently but you are absolutely right!
I am in agreement with this, and applaud you good Sir or Madame.
Homosexuality is something beyond our control, so I'm gonna say it's possible to love a gay man/gay woman but disagree with their lifestyle?

Well, I'm on the fence about it. I'm neither for nor against the LGTB community as I see that they are fellow people such as me, only their sexual preferences are different. Christ never speaks of homosexuality, but sexual immorality is touched on. (threesomes, orgies, etc.)

I could care less what they do, so long as no one hits on me. I would have to politely decline. Lol
Why do you think anyone would want to hit on you?
Well I like to think I'm not TOTALLY disgusting and un-doable...thanks...
Generally, people don't want to hit on people who're like "ugh, I hope those filthy homos don't hit on me"... p