Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 110

Is there such a thing as freedom of religion?

:iconmihaihen:
Mihaihen Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Many states around the world have it in their laws\constitutions, etc.
Can such a concept actually exist?!?
Because, some religions like Christianity and Islam, Judaism, etc. are not tolerant towards other beliefs. The core of this religions is that there is no other religion but their own, only there way is the right way.
So giving them right to free religion basically removes the right from others to practice their religions.
In practice governments don't allow all out war, but there is still a war of hearts and minds if you will. A religions cold war perhaps, where each devotee tries to convert as much people as possible making their religion dominant.
And this, in the long term will lead to social unrest, strife...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshawnjohnston:
ShawnJohnston Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
I'd say you'll get as much freedom in religion as you get in freedom of anything. All freedoms have at least a LITTLE restriction. TOTAL religious freedom would be a terrible thing because you could hide behind belief to do whatever you want.

So long as laws aren't made to inhibit others from believing in something (or force people into believing something), I would consider it pretty free. At a social level you'll get some harassment based on your religion, but for how Christianity-accomodating the US government is, it's not as oppressive of other religions as some other places.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Freedom of/from religion means that the presence or absence of religious motivation for an action has no bearing on whether that action is allowed.

You are free to attend a lecture on linguistics and you are free to attend a religious sermon. You are not free to murder people for queue jumping at a lane merge and you are not free to engage in human sacrifice to Cthulu.
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
"The core of this religions is that there is no other religion but their own, only there way is the right way.
So giving them right to free religion basically removes the right from others to practice their religions."

I'm not following this. How does your second sentence relate to the first?

example:
"The core of my belief is that only by eating a steady diet of vegetables can you live healthier. There is no other way."
"So giving me my right to believe this removes your right to eat all kinds of meat and avoid vegetables."

I just can't reconcile it as a logical argument. Can you explain more?
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
I assume it's about the mutual exclusivity of most religions make it impossible for people to freely practice their iwn beliefs so long as any one of them is in charge or favored by government.
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
Right. In a theocracy, I would agree. If we make laws based on religious beliefs, there are bound to be conflicts.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
Even in the U.S. so called secular government have laws being promoted and passed with religiously (particularly Christian) based.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
No man is above the law.
:iconkeydan:
Keydan Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
I really do find that to be a problem of freedom of religion. If anything the social law should always be above any religious law. And here we stand giving rights to people to follow any religion, even those that say "screw the official law, we have all the stuff you need". System is kinda broken that way. And same goes for some other freedoms.
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013   Digital Artist
Yes there is. There is also the freedom to believe that you're right and everyone else that disagrees with you is wrong.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Yes.

Because no freedom is absolute.
Add a Comment: