Does religion make people inhuman?

Or are they inhuman to begin with?
Comments399
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think religion is related to traits humans evolved while surviving. It can be great for social cohesiveness, and prior to our more modern discoveries (Of evolution and a bunch of other stuff) it helped many people with the irritation of not knowing what was really happening.

I also think that religion can't be destroyed because the impulse is too strong for too many people. I think it's better to concentrate on critical thinking, because when people can reason they are less likely to ignore important scientific evidence. Or burn people to death as witches.
Whys this question still going, and why have people fucked up the answer so much?'t is rather simple:

What is the origin of religion with its inhumane treatment enabling mechanisms? Man.

ta ta, that easy.
Religion is a very human concept. Soulless robots could not have a religion. I doubt amoebas have a religion.
To be human then is to be a fool.
That may very well be true.
Children are dicks.

Really though, religion's the only reason we don't routinely toss disabled babies over cliffs anymore.
I'm sorry...what...
Christianity developed the idea of being charitable in Europe.
I think you may want to consider researching that notion. Many societies in Europe had concepts of charity before Christianity.
I'm most familiar with the Greeks/Romans, so yeah there's a gap. I don't doubt it's not a hard and fast rule but I think there's significant influence.
Religion is also the reason we still deny certain members of our society equal standing based on their sexual preference. Also, I would note only the Spartans threw disabled babies to their death, pretty sure (not 100%).
And they had a religion.
Ultimately, in the words of Steven Weinberg "With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
I have to wonder if not having religion would be better, though. Look at bullying in schools: kids take any excuse they can get. Religion probably doesn't help—gets people to fight together where they normally wouldn't—but the Westerners and the Middle East have been at it for like 5000 years on and off.
View all replies
I may be confusing inhumanity with mental immaturity. But are children not cruel?
Anyone can be immature, not just religious people. I'm beginning to sense some kind of anti-theist fallacy here.

Actually, everyone acts immature at one point or another. You, me, our neighbors...
No and no. Hatred makes people inhuman.
Does religion not breed hatred?
Sometimes it does(and so does atheism), but believe it or not, it doesn't affect every religious person (or atheist, for that matter).
I believe that atheists are incapable of true passion.
How so? Every individual is different.

Passion is also another word for love or an interest; that doesn't mean an atheists are incapable of those things, too.
When logic binds, it binds tightly.
It is difficult to save a human with religion.
But it is easy to destroy a man with the same religion.

fire saves cold. The fire also burns you.
Maybe and sort of. People have the ability to change according to their own decisions. This means that they can become either subhuman (by letting animalistic urges dominate) or superhuman (though religion alone is insufficient for that).
Are slaves capable of changing into anything resembling a human being?
If they have the sufficient potential (as suppressed or latent qualities) to identify them as human, then yes. Being a slave may also be a temporary condition or being fit only for that specific caste/class.