February 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 428

Why are people against gay marriage?

:iconxxdabombxx:
xxdabombxx Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I honestly don't get it. *sighs*

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconairthir:
Airthir Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Student Photographer
It's not against "gay marriage" it's against gay rights. It's like outlawing sodomy.
:iconfalseshepherd:
FalseShepherd Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
It's just another excuse to hate people, with no real valid reasoning behind it, IMO. I don't even believe in marriage anyway - about 20k upward for some person to ask you a few questions about the wed-to-be and vice versa before giving you permission to kiss the bride to get a silly piece of paper to 'officially certify' that the newly-weds love each other, even (Or whomever) though some people don't marry for love. Arranged marriages for example, or even sham-marriages.

I mean, marry someone to show them you love them? Fine. Have a special day to celebrate joining with your partner and splash out on the planning/event? That is fine too. But I personally don't want or need the approval of some religious traditional event that debatably has no bearing/influence on how the two people last together and has no solid proof of being anything other than one persons idea that spread like wild fire and so many people decided to believe it and teach of it like its Maths. It's no different to kids and the tooth fairy, or Father Christmas in my eyes.
:iconhelloamerica:
HelloAmerica Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
that city was destroyed 4 other reasons like trying 2 rape angels NOT because of gay people
:iconsana24:
sana24 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Student General Artist
I believe this is because the term "marriage" is originally a religious thing as the couple is married before God. Although gay marriage doesn't bother me one bit, I suppose I can understand how some might find that religiously offensive.

Perhaps we could just change the name of gay marriage, yet offer the same rights as any other marriage?
:iconairthir:
Airthir Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Student Photographer
Marriage is a legal institution. God and religious issues really have nothing to do with the federal and state courts of law.

As for changing the name...no. There are "civil unions" available, but that, frankly, is offensive. Why shouldn't gay people have all the rights of heterosexual people, including the right to call their union a marriage? I saw a protest sign reading "I didn't ask her to civil union me" and I think that sums it up quite nicely.
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Marriage isn't really originally anything. We don't even know when it started, and it has no single origin.
:iconi-stamp:
i-stamp Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013
There's some law that prevents us from doing that. Specifically the separate but equal clause made to end segregation. Just like you couldn't have a black fountain and a white fountain, you can't have gay marriage and straight marriage be two separate but equal things.
Now you could get rid of the word marriage all together and call them all civil unions as they have in other countries. But I think that's unnecessary for two reasons. We already have civil unions which are something else entirely and there are both religions and non religious institutions that preform marriage, who want to preform gay marriages, and can't just because others don't like it. And that shouldn't be others call.
:iconsana24:
sana24 Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Student General Artist
Damn! There really does seem to be no easy solution to this... Thanks for telling me, I had no idea such laws existed
:iconchickensandsheep:
chickensandsheep Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
A lot of people just don't understand gays. I read online animals can be gay too - as many as 1 in 10 rams (male sheep) prefer another ram vs a ewe (female sheep)
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I don't blame them, rams are much hornier. :iconrimshotplz:
Add a Comment: