Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 139

Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

:icongreatest-i-am:
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

[link]

I have always had a problem with the notion that God would have hardened Pharaoh’s soft heart and pave the way for him to kill/murder the first born of Egypt. For God to do so would have been evil indeed.

Do you think that science has explained the purported miracles as natural phenomena?

From what I can see, the Jews who wrote the story did not take it literally.

[link]

Should Christians recognize the O T stories as natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Regards
DL

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Hobbyist
Because, God knew him from the beginning that he will rebell against God. This is an example for our generation, that if you harden your heart towards God - He will hardened it more like a stone of heart. And, that's why there's so many atheist in our days.
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
Yhank God for that.

I prefer to think that most of us are getting brighter and recognizing that believing in fantasy, miracles and magic is for deluded fools and children.

Strange how atheists are better citizens than Christians.

The U S, a so called Christian nation has the highest incarceration rate of the free world.

[link]

Regards
DL
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013
actually the pop culture is full of magic and "secret" miracles. not to mention a growing number of buddhists and metaphysical philosophers. carlos castenada has sold way more than any atheist book.
Truth by majority.

I read it in a book so it must be right.

No thanks.

Regards
DL
isnt that how you formed majority of your scientific and historical knowledge?
Along with observation.

See the difference?

You see the repression and honor murders of Islam. Do you think Jesus would condone such?

Note your answer and how just a bit of thought helps clear things up.

Regards
DL
oh you have observed history? i congradulate you *clap clap*

honor murders are a cultural thing, not religious. dont drag me into this pitiful conversation, you will lose.
Pfft.

Regards
DL
(1 Reply)
:iconrlanthoney-photo:
RLAnthoney-Photo Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
There's no archeological evidence to suggest that the exodus actually happened (ie. Hebrew pottery adopting an Egyptian style), and scholars generally agree that there aught to be if it happened. That's not to say that it's impossible that it could have occurred, but the evidence suggests that it probably didn't.

However, there is evidence for an Egyptian colonisation of Canaan -the land that became Israel- during the time that the Hebrew people were beginning to emerge and the Jewish religion beginning to come about in its earliest form. I think it's quite likely that the story of Exodus was a myth created and passed down with the intention of expressing the feelings of the early Jews on the departure of the Egyptian, the freedom this gave them, and the fact that they then had their own lands. They no doubt believed that Yahweh was on their side, and probably wanted to tell a story which showed that more clearly.

I definitely don't think that the Exodus is historical fact, but I think that diminishing it to 'fiction' is far too simplistic, because the authors will have truly believed that there was some level of truth in the story; namely that God was on the side of the Jews and freed them from the oppression of the Egyptians.

(P.S sorry, I wasn't able to watch the video tonight, so what I'm saying might be irrelevant. If so, I'm sorry.)
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Don't be. This is rather a unique view, of the Egyptians exiting and to me is more plausible than the reverse that the myth shows.

It is quite possible that some facts from the Hyksos expulsion were indeed incorporated in the myth to give pride to the Jews. Quite hard to tell from this far up in history. That is why I depend on the archeology that says it did not happen as written and I add the fact that I do not believe in miracles.

Regards
DL
Add a Comment: