Should nudity be taboo?

There was another thread on here which inspired me to write this.

It's safe to assume that most people who read this live in a country where public nudity in areas where it's not legal to be so will result in you getting arrested. Why is that? Many people would agree that it's not inherently shameful to be naked, but there are still many more who would faint over the sight of a penis or, heaven forbid, a woman's breast.

In many cultures, such as that of Aboriginal Australians, nudity is perfectly acceptable since there is no existing taboo on being so. In harsher climates, wearing clothes makes sense. You wouldn't travel through the Sahara desert or the wildnerness of Siberia with your titties flashing. That's suicide. However, when exactly did common sense turn into "Oh ewwww a dick put it awaaaaay"? I've grown up in such a culture, but I would like to live in a world where I don't have to feel ashamed of having what nature dictated.

So, the questions...
1. Why is nudity considered such a shameful thing?
2. Who is responsible for insituting this belief in the first place?
3. Do you agree that it is shameful, or do you support the freedom to wear clothes in public or not as you wish?
Comments210
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think that as the human psyche and social organisation evolved in certain cultures, the heads of the tribes realised that whoever had the biggest wang and most sculpted body was most desirable to the ladies of said cultures. Assuming these chieftains had small to average wang size and possessed a less than average physique, they abused their power (presumably inherited) and instilled fear into the tribes-people, claiming that their deities wished that flesh be covered and that the naked human form was an insult to the heavens. Then they'd make a few examples of those who didn't follow the rules by executing them aaaaand eventually everyone was scared into wearing clothes.
Nudity isn't shameful. The shame came from these surly, insecure and inadequate ancient leaders of men, and now we suffer for it. I mean... Hitler had one testicle and look what happened with that nut-job (pun intended, although I'm not sure if this reference has anything to do with my point at all... hmmm do I even have a point?).
Moral of the story kids, it's just skin and hair. Beyond that, it's cells and atoms and quarks and energy. Hope I've entertained somehow....
I enjoyed talking with all of you and hearing your opinions, but after hearing the same comment nearly 200 times I think I've heard just about everything there is to say. If anyone else comes in before this gets locked, don't be surprised if I don't reply. Until next time!
Because its a sign of intellectual and technological maturity to cover yourself for both protection and humility. You have to understand that when something is culturally imposed, there is a reason for it. Because in this instance, but not all, it promotes ideals and behaviors for which are beneficial to the individual and the group.

Wearing clothes increases your chance for survival so much so that it is necessary to impose these things in paternal evolution.

That's why.
That makes sense.
Sorry for the simple reply, I'm getting pretty tired answering to this thread so many times.
Its not because we're all trying to hate each other and not let everyone be in our natural state. Clothes are our natural state. Being naked is not beneficial to us, we've evolved with clothing in the same sense a bird has evolved to make a nest for its eggs. Being naked is our not having a nest for our eggs.

In places like africa where the people aren't technologically advanced and aren't intellectually capable, they didn't evolve complicated clothing because they didn't need it. But in places like Europe, they did.
Teh Fuq?

What the hell do you know about our aborigines?
I dont see topless aborigines walking around one of the suburbs near by where I live mate.
Because its not socially acceptable and IS a legal offense.

Quit using examples of other cultures you know absolutely nothing about.
For the record, I'm Australian myself. And when I wrote that, I was referring more to their traditional ideas. They certainly didn't object to nipples before colonisation.
hmm, I guess it's shameful and stuff because seeing other people naked is seen as this special, sexual, privilege. People just don't like their sexuality and feelings. Also, lots of people are self conscious about their bodies, so when someone else is naked, they feel shame and then quiet rage.

I wouldn't mind. But there is one con. Lack of protection. Lack of protection against sun, cold, rain, prying people, perverts, dirt, and insects. I don't now if you know, but private parts are sensitive. They are prone to infection, sweating and chafing. Oh there you go, you might sweat. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'd like to give an intelligent response, but I've given the same one about 50 times already, sooo... @_@ I agree with you, and I'll leave it at that.
Should nudity be taboo? Well, it's certainly not sacred.
If you have a cynical point of view, marriage isn't sacred either. :paranoid:
I don't see how you can equate nudity to marriage.
I was being a smartass. You said that nudity wasn't sacred. I'm not saying I disagree, but whether something is sacred or not is ultimately irrelevant.
What is usually sacred is usually made taboo for fear that it will be made profane.
People keep posting about people you wouldn't want to see naked. If this ignorant custom wasn't established in the first place you wouldn't even notice. It would be just another thing you see day to day.

Nudity isn't shameful. Being a fat slob who doesn't take care of his/herself is shameful.
Do you really want to live in a world where Seth Rogan could walk around naked?
Since I don't know who that is, it makes no difference to me =p
1) Most people wouldn't want to see male junk, and most males would like to see naked females...
2) First it was the need to protect oneself, and clothes did come pretty early on the human invention list, fire, spear clothes. Needles to say in warm places people still wear nothing but a lil' bit of cloth so keep warm in the night, while in other areas going commando might cost you a frozen testicle.
Then, in the classical civilizations, it became a symbol of status, be it wealth, matrimony, patriarchy and such. Fools and poor were all but naked, and the good citizens could afford a cute tunic. And so it is up till today.
3) As I say, most people would dislike seeing other people naked, maybe even a bit offensive. The world isn't ready for millions of people walking naked. Also there are more subtle matters of hygiene and maybe even sexual harassment that large cities bring up to make it less appealing to go around naked.
1. If people really didn't want to see male genitalia, that may be at least partially due to social conditioning. Homophobic influence may also be a factor. It's something that must be kept out of sight, and yet the symbolism still holds a considerable amount of influence.

2. I can certainly understand the social status thing when it comes to clothes.

3. Of course people wouldn't be comfortable with sudden nudity. The first step would be to educate people from as young an age as possible that nudity is normal and ok. If this step was taken, in future generations showing a bit of skin wouldn't bear the stigma it does now.
Say we educate people, and it would be nice to educate people that there really is no reason no panic when one sees a naked body. But really, would it imply we start walking around clothless?
As I stated, there is more to this. One should not panic at sight of tits but nakedness is a very sexual thing, and sex in most cultures was fairly private. Sure there were exceptions, in Rome and some pagan cultures, traditions of orgies and such, but this is not what I see when I think of people educated in health and sex matters.
Being conscious of the body is does nor relive us of our decency. And though homophobic it may be, most men feel ok being naked around one another in public bathhouses, because of the status that place implies.
Then there are other cultural/psychological aspects some people may start to exploit. Some people just get off by seeing others naked, or being naked themselves. Or taking one step next, being naked in public, us becoming super cool with sexuality and such, why not allow public sex and masturbation?
It's hard to say if public sex and all that would be ok in the future. I'm not quite sure if starting to walk around without clothes regularly would be implied by such an education, but what do I know.