Beauty and Body Modification

After taking a sociology class, I was piqued with this argument my teacher put forth.

Why is there such a premium on natural beauty?

I pose to you the same question. :)
I used to dislike people who colored their hair because it was so unnatural and I thought people had to put so much effort into changing something that will never really change. And yet today, I am one of them (having 3 colors in my hair! Haha :D). I've decided on what color I want my hair whenever I choose to have it touched up again.

It made me feel like a different person but not exactly too different like a total heel-turn, new-direction different. I may be romanticizing it but it felt like I was going in the right direction to be me.

My sociology teacher called this "reinvention of the self." That we, as humans who are intelligent and innovative, we can change aspects of ourselves, whether permanently or temporarily, in our pursuit to be ourselves (whatever we decide that to be or how many there are). We gave the meanings to words and we made the standards. BUT why is there such a premium on natural beauty? Can't we be beautiful with hair the color of flowers or of snow? Can't we be beautiful with implants or after liposuction? Can't we be beautiful with beautiful art on our bodies? Can't we be beautiful with jewelry adoring our nose/ears/mouth/tongue?

Follow-up questions:
Would you consider modifying your body in your pursuit to invent yourself? If so, what would you have changed about you?
Should we change our view about body modification as a tool for achieving beauty?

:nod: I'd like to hear what you think!
Comments84
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's a way to express your self I guess. What I dislike is the idea that we should squeeze ourselves into society's beauty mold rather than changing ourselves for ourselves.
Thank you for your input :)

Yes, I agree. Although, I'll share that sometimes, I find it a tautologous situation when I'm deciding whether I'm doing something for myself or because I was influenced by something or other external factor (like my family, my culture, education, etc.). I mean, who can really tell whether you do things out of personal choice as opposed to being influenced by something else? :shrug: I mean, we are what we are because we were influenced by these things but I wonder sometimes if we can all be truly true to ourselves, sans the influence.

But then again :D thinking that way, like I said, is tautologous and leads us in circles, haha. I've been there and I still haven't found an answer =P

Just sharing :)
True, that kind of thinking can lead in circles. I guess the best way to do it is to think about whether it will make you happy. If the answer for why you're doing something is "So that others will find me more attractive" then it's probably a bad idea, because it won't be a choice for you.
We are not born the way we feel we are on the inside.

People wear clothes, accessories, piercings, tattoos, get nose jobs, liposuction and so forth for various reasons. Rather it's because they were bullied and want to escape that desperately, think it will give them a better chance at finding a job, they want to feel better about themselves, they want to express who they are, they love fashion and body modification as an art, doing it as a tribute to a lost one, therapeutic reasons, trying to become something they want to strive towards, trying to return to something they have lost, or were really drunk on a Saturday night and thought a tattoo of Lady Gaga on their ass was totally cool. So I think anyone can do as they wish with their bodies, but in plastic surgery, surgeons like tattoo artists should be highly trained in what they do and you should listen to your fucking doctor if they tell you they can't give you a boob job without inducing a heart attack (Kanye West's mother died trying to get a breast reduction and ignored the doctor who told her it's not possible considering her condition).

People with good plastic surgery you could never tell. However people with bad plastic surgery gets made fun of and mocked for 'being superficial' when the way I see it people are being superficial towards their own personal choice. This is coming from something with only ear piercings but wears tons of makeup and people are constantly assuming how unhappy I am because I happen to like drawing on my face.
Well-said! Thank you for your insightful input :clap:
Plastic surgery ends up different ways. Many people try to look like someone else, or they make themselves look strange. I'm not into that.

Piercings? I dunno, if piercings were subtle or fashionable, then I'd like it. It's like jewelry but for flesh!
Haha, don't piercings sometimes use jewelry anyway?

Thanks for your input, though :)
I've already gotten a few ear piercing and often dye my hair, so I guess I've already modified myself. The colors I chose for my hair are often colors like red, deep violet, maroon, 'different' colors then the normal shades of hair because I want to be different, I guess.
As well as I have plans in the future to get a couple of tattoos, small ones, and perhaps a few memorial pieces.
And I'll admit that I have looked into breast augmentation procedures to even out my chest because (as they are now) my current bust is painful and effects my back and posture.
So, yes, I do modify my normal self.

However, regardless, there will always be those who disapprove of any kinds of body modification regardless of beauty or otherwise, so I think that hoping for a day when it will be totally accepted is a lost cause.
Thanks for your input and sharing your personal experiences :)

Follow up question: How do you decide on the permanent modifications on your body? Out of curiosity :D it's because sometimes people get tattoos of, say, a favorite animal but then overtime they decide that it was an ugly tattoo. I know there are ways to remove the tattoo but that's such a toll on your skin (and your wallet).

Also, is being "different" part of what beauty means to you (more importantly, your beauty)?
No problem, I was glad to offer my views on the subject.

As an aspiring tattoo artist I know all too well how important it is to plan anything permanent like them and how distressing it is when people don't and just wing-it, because then you know they're most likely going to dislike it at some later point and that's disappointing as an artist (from my own perspective) as well as has the possibility to turn around and make me look bad because they’re not likely to have anything nice to say about my work now that they don’t want it anymore, had I done it.

That is why, for the benefit of the person getting the tat and myself, I've always made damn sure my clients have thought long and hard about their piece, it's something that means something to them and that it's not going to be a waste of my time, resources, their time and money.
From my own experiences I’ve noticed that too often some tattoo artists will just do anything for anybody as long as it's paid for, but to me that's just treating it like business, greed on their part and I love tattoo too much to just think of it that way, so if someone comes in on a whim and just wants something for shits and giggles I kindly show them the door and tell them to come back when they're sober. That’s just how I approach it and if people don’t agree with my methods that’s fine, they don’t have to, I really don’t care. That’s me.

I feel it’s my responsibility, knowing the art, to take care of the best interests of my clients and if that means refusing them something I know they’re going to hate or regret, so be it. That might mean I have some folks walk out of my shop in a huff, but I’d sooner be known for giving quality service and care to people then a hack artist who’ll do anything for a quick buck. Plus if people are going to be like that then they don’t need to be in my shop anyway. Period.

Sorry for the long shpeel, but there’s no easy way to say how I feel on the subject of permanent augmentations to the body, and that includes mine also. Everything I’ve gotten so far (6 piercing in the ears so far) has been carefully thought out and so are the tattoos I want to get, as they will be about things I’ve felt/liked/believed my whole life and to memorialize people who have been my whole world.

While I find that I like to see people who are 'different', as in they aren't prey to trends or care about what's socially accepted, I can find beauty in many other things as well and don't just look at what's weird or 'different' for it.
For myself, I like to express who I am on the inside through my appearance, so sometimes that may mean I wear something people might look at and think "WTF???" while other times I'll be completely neutral; depends on my mood that day.
Haha, it's no problem. I enjoyed reading your reply :)

Thanks for sharing your personal experience :D
I actually greatly dislike body-mods. Minor things like piercings or tattoos don't bother me (within reason) but surgery altering your body for superficial reasons completely disgusts me. Yes, it's your own body and you can do what you want with it and I wouldn't stop someone from going down that road, but personally that sort of thing will almost always be ugly to me.

I also highly doubt surgically enhanced beauty will ever win over natural beauty.
I see. Thanks for your input :)

Follow up question: What if you were faced with two beautiful individuals and both meet your definition of beautiful but one of them (you don't know which) had has work done on him/her, how would you interact with them?
If only given the information that "one of them has had cosmetic surgery" then I would analyze them.
Since I already have five piercings and a tattoo, my view might be a bit biased. However, I keep my natural hair colour because I think it looks beautiful already. I find those with certain body modifications to be visually appealing (and I say that to mean they willl attract my attention) however I'm yet to be attracted to somebody with facial piercings or tattoos or whatever. I think natural beauty is important, as body modification can only do so much for you.
As an afterthought, tattoos that are skillfully done and piercings that appear to be well looked after would be more attractive than those that aren't, because it shows that the person has commitment and can look after themselves well. It also shows that they take pride in their appearance.
Thanks for you input :) I liked that bit about taking pride in one's appearance.

In the end, body modification is really just a tool we use to achieve the

Follow-up question: Do you think artificially-acquired beauty (that is to say, beauty achieved with any kind of body modification) will be more important than natural beauty someday?

To elaborate this question, I'm attributing body modifications to produce a unique and imaginative beauty whereas natural beauty stays as is, unique but not so creative or as imaginative (since you're not really going to modify anything anymore).
Well, first let's consider this. Would you say that make-up detracts from natural beauty? You don't naturally have mascara or lipstick or whatever. If that's the case, I'll put it with body modification for the sake of this argument. Body modification has been present in virtually every culture on the planet throughout humanity's existance. Piercing and tattoos are sometimes obtained as a rite of passage, to show that the individual has become an adult. Sometimes in history they are not considered socially acceptable, and you would notice the number of people with tattoos or exotic piercings (I use that as a blanket term for all piercings besides ear lobes) would decrease or move underground. Nowadays it's getting more socially acceptable to modify yourself and so there are more people doing it. Body modification goes through periods of popularity before moving underground again.
It's kind of a roundabout way of saying it, but no I don't think it will ever replace the importance of natural beauty completely.
Thank you for input :)
Beauty is subjective and everyone has their own idea of what will or does make them and others pretty. If that involves modifications, that's fine.

I intend to modify my body somewhat. I'm trying to lose weight, I wouldn't object to a boob job, I dye and cut my hair, I have 2 piercings in one ear, 4 in the other, I used to have nipple and labret piercings (but they are since closed, mostly not by choice...), and a tattoo. I fully intend to get more tattoos and piercings along the line. I think it's pretty. It's not extreme (I don't intend to get horn implants, braces, my tongue split, etc), but it's what I like.
Thank you for your input :)
Natural beauty = good health and genes = worthwhile partner for breeding.

We are quite simply genetically programmed to be attracted to that.
I see. Thank you for your input :)

Yes but, as humans, we're also capable of creating different standards of beauty or redefining beauty that goes beyond our evolved behaviors.

I'm not disregarding the science instinct entirely but I'm just saying we have an added factor of complexity because we're sentient and innovative beings.
Absolutely, but you set natural beauti as the parameter.