Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 99

All religion=Christianity?

:iconlaurenkatz:
LaurenKatz Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Filmographer
Usually when i hear atheists talking about how stupid religion is, the only one they ever seem to talk about is Christianity, like it's the only religion wrong with the world, and if it's not that it's Islam, two of the big proselytizing ones that say that you'll burn in hell for not believing what they believe, and then they go about it like those religions represent all religions.

But what about religions that don't push their beliefs on others? What about ones with totally different outlooks on the afterlife? if any at all? Like Buddhism and Judaism? I understand that christian ideas are pretty much embedded in western consciousness, such as the idea of hell, i had only learned about two years ago that Jews don't believe in hell. Before then i thought the whole concept of hell and damnation was universal and not exclusive to just Christianity (and Islam).

But that's the thing, a lot of the time, not all the time but a lot of the time Christians who turn atheist will condemn all religion like they're all like Christianity in particular. I know every religion has its "bible thumpers", Jews have them, Muslims have them, and Christians have them and so on, but religion at its core is meant to teach people the difference between right and wrong, and how people interpret right and wrong will sometimes vary depending on the person.

This is long XD, oh well.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Honestly the only thing I know about Judaism is that they are hated by the Christians and Muslims. I know why that started but I don't know why that has survived since then.
LaurenKatz Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student Filmographer
That has to do with just having a minority to blame for their countries problems. Same sort of thing happened to the gypsies. Although there were times when countries in Europe were prosperous because of Jews, like during the inquisition a lot if Spanish Jews left Spain for the Netherlands and the economy boomed there afterwards, while Spain's began to tank
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
That's true, however the Jews made countries prosper again due to Christian discrimination. Jews were only allowed to handle money because the Christians thought that type of work was immoral.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
The function of religion proposing moral constructs is what is used to distract people from the power structure that they impose through said moral constructs.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The ones who think that are narrow-minded no matter how much proof there is that there's more religions besides Christianity. I'm not talking just about those atheists you mentioned either.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think this is because atheists are most vocal in the western world, and the dominant religions in the western world are Christianity (and Islam). that's why those two are the "targets". However yes, there are different religion out there. also, not all Christians or Muslims are bad people.
I never said they were
:iconda1withdalongestname:
da1withdalongestname Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
Simple, when they talk about "world" they mostly mean Western Europe & the Americas. They don't really mean the entire world, most of them are stupid like that. Don't worry, you're clearly smarter than them for knowing other religions that is different.
thanks
:iconsososurprise:
SosoSurprise Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
For Christianity it's the religion with the most followers as for Islam..from what I hear islamphobes say its just pure misunderstanding or maybe ignorance ?
LaurenKatz Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Filmographer
yeah probably
:iconsososurprise:
SosoSurprise Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
I was looking for top ten religious countries apparently I'm asking for top ten religious Christian countries >.> maybe that's why I couldn't find saudi on any list
:iconalzebetha:
alzebetha Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Those religions are just as stupid of course, just less intrusive and of a less immediate concern. The only positions I saw atheists accept are: Agnosticism,begrudingly. Laveyan satanism,once properly explained, and Pantheism where they just go 'wtf ever dude'

Also, Religion at its core difference between right and wrong? The stupid o metre just went through the roof. That's as if saying a train wreck that happened to hit your office, killed 256 people and made you unemployed was ment so you have more time to spent with your kids.
:iconthe-golden-knight:
The-Golden-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
All religions have the common misconception that they are *the* only correct religion.
:iconaellawalker:
AellaWalker Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Living in the US is endlessly infuriating. The people are ignorant, apathetic, and lazy and christianity only exacerbates that. It's the cause of great rage for many.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Photographer
about your first point. the reason christianity is attacked the most is because it is the largest and consequently the most harmful seeing as it's negative effects will reach more people.
:icongreatest-i-am:
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Most of the other non-Abrahamic religions and cults do not curse everyone who does not believe as they do to eternal torture in hell nor do they try to kill the infidels.

That may be the main reason but you should also note that most here are from North America and the vast majority are, if anything, Christians.

I am occasionally asked why I seem to center out Christians and it is simply because there are too few of the others religionists around for me to bother with. I would lose 99% of those who might comment.

Regards
DL
It's funny because Judaism itself doesn't condemn anyone for not believing what they believe, yet the two biggest religions that stem from it do.
:icongreatest-i-am:
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
You need to remember that Christianity reversed much of the Jewish beliefs when they tried to genocide the Jewish race. The Pope nor the church apologized for any of it till about 2 - 3 years ago.

Christianity and the crusades also forced any religion including Islam to be more militant just to survive Christian barbarity.

All that death because-----

[link]

Regards
DL
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
<---also pagan

Eh, probably because Christians are the ones (at least around here) who are the loudest and most obnoxious, and like to tell you you're going to hell if you don't believe.

Really, I've never had anybody except a Christian be really nasty to me about religion. Never had anybody else bang on my door or confront me anywhere to tell me how wrong I am.
yeah, that gets pretty annoying.
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
It largely has something to do with the power and influence that Christianity has over the western world, and that a large percentage of Christians view all non-Christians as people who they need to assimilate... I mean "save their souls". Other religions in our part of the world are a minority and not nearly as "in your face" as Christianity. I have never seem a Hindu standing on a street corner with a copy of the Vedas in one hand and a megaphone in the other screaming at people passing by.
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
Haha! This isn't that long. :)

Well, you said so yourself: "Christians who turn atheist will condemn all religion like they're all like Christianity in particular." All they've ever really known is Christianity. Besides, if they condemn other religions, let them be as ignorant as they were when they weren't atheists =P

I don't know if this is just me but when I was in grade school, I was curious about other religions and when I learned about them, I only saw them as having some degrees of similarity to Catholicism. It was the religion I was raised in so all I really knew was Catholicism. Christianity and its forms aren't the absolute religion to base comparisons off of because you have other religions too.

I think the better way of thinking, especially for those newly-atheist ex-Christians who probably only are because they can't be bothered to go to church every Sabbath or pray frequently or whatever, is that Christianity is like most religions (not 'Other religions are mostly like Christianity'; you know, like a relativist view where you see things relative to other things relative to other things) :)
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
atheism = anti-Christianity
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
atheist don't condamn no one.

The fact is simple, usually we criticize christianity because it is the most popular and because we criticize some elements commons in the most of religions, alsol ot of belivers in cristianity refuse theories approved and showed...only because someone told them to do it., while belivers of other religions doesn't.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Also, not enough polytheistic representation in the OP ;p
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think it may have something to do with being a Westerner :B Also all the open atheists I've met are ex-Christians.

The religion I hear about most is Hinduism. Interestingly, though, there's little open atheism in India: the culture itself is very bound to ritual, so it's kind of hard to turn your back on your whole family and not participate in anything even when you don't believe. (Also, the temples are gorgeous and holy food is tasty....)
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
First of all hell is not where people go which is the misconception placed on man as a place of burning fire and brimstone where you will be tortured through eternity. Not true. There is a hell but it was created for Satan, his angels, and the false prophet and the beast or antichrist. God is a spirit of light. Where HE is there is no darkness. In fact when the new earth is created there will be no sun for God will be the light. So the fact is that those who reject God's provisions for forgiveness will still be in their sins, or darkness. Since God can have no darkness or sin in heaven those who reject Him will be cast into the outer darkness. What the outer darkness involves is not clear, but there will be no light around so you will most likely see nothing. The universe is quite big and the distance between galaxies is great, the perfect place for an outer darkness. Plenty of room to spread out everyone so you got no one to keep you company but yourself.
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Every time someone asks me whether I'm religious they assume I'm a follower of one of 'the big three'. It annoys me. But then again it's their ignorance and not mine.
:iconggordons:
GGordonS Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
People thirst for peace, happiness and contentment. When these needs are perverted by the disorganized nature of human desire you end up with a lot of different kinds of hell that people live in. Atheism can't exist without the phenomenon of religion in the first place. I think its more of a rejection of hypocritical religion and stupid religious violence (physical and verbal) I can see where atheism is coming from.
Any kind of religion in one's head (and therefore a fabrication) produces discontent. This comes out as hatred for religion in general, or if not hate, total indifference for religion. Understandable because there are a lot of contemporary religious ideas that are garbage and produce nothing for people besides harm. Religion has to be a practice, not an act for oneself or anyone else. Authenticity and simplicity are essential in any religion for it to bear fruit.
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Not many people go after other religions because they barely get called out. Christianity and Islam does get called out on their bs a lot.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
You must think that I am very stupid if you think that I am only the Devil.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It's the only one anyone thinks they know anything about. They usually don't, but that doesn't stop them.

Not that most other religions are all that much more reasonable if they DID know about them. It is not, after all, primarily on the afterlife that Christianity is critiqued.
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
It's just because they run into Christians most. And they dislike what Christians think about religion. Thus, they complain the most about Christians.

Muslims tend to be a smaller group (at least compared to Christianity), at least here in the US, so they often get criticized rather easily as well. It's easy to criticize groups which aren't that big or important in public opinion (just talking about Muslims in the US here, not those in the Middle East). Though that has been changing a bit over the past decade or so.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
"Usually when i hear atheists talking about how stupid religion is, the only one they ever seem to talk about is Christianity, like it's the only religion wrong with the world, and if it's not that it's Islam, two of the big proselytizing ones that say that you'll burn in hell for not believing what they believe, and then they go about it like those religions represent all religions."

That's because, contrary to what they think, atheists can just be as ignorant, arrogant, and bigoted as any theist. They think they are correct, and thus have no inclination to learn further.

Not only that, most posters on the internet come from the United States, where christianity is the religion on the majority -- as such, most posters are only exposed to christianity. If you want a different view, you're going to have to go to sites that are mostly non-english.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Professional General Artist
A lot of it's that the people doing the criticizing live in predominantly Christian countries.  Also, I imagine folks from the US, where religious conservatives in some regions do hold a lot of political influence.

Mind you, I do hate it when people conflate a particular religion or a few examples of a particular religion with all of religion.  But I have no problems understanding why Christianity is the biggest, most obvious target.
yeah, i understand that as well.
Then where exactly are you going with this? Just getting some stuff off your chest?
yeah, pretty much.
Welp. :|
:stare:
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
"Usually when i hear atheists talking about how stupid religion is, the only one they ever seem to talk about is Christianity"

Duh!
You're in the United States. Don't think too hard about it.
Do you think atheists in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are complaining about christianity?

"but religion at its core is meant to teach people the difference between right and wrong"

No, it's not.

:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
... Define stupid for me?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
To be fair, atheists in places like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are much safer not saying anything at all.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Shit, Muslims are safer saying nothing in those areas:P
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Jesus predicted 2000 years ago-

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

They will give you all kinds of excuses. But they hate Jesus and what it means if he really was the Christ. They are accountable for the sin they already recognize. And they hate that.
:iconrayne-gallows:
rayne-gallows Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
That's silly. Atheists don't hate Jesus, they just hate you and the people like you. You are a scummy person after all. I know I wouldn't touch you. :thumbsup:
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
... I hate Jesus. He was a pompous self-righteous bastard.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
There is no such thing as an atheist until science can prove they exist.
:iconrayne-gallows:
rayne-gallows Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Oh yes, right. The same science that proved Geocentrism correct, that the earth is flat, that dinosaurs and people lived together, and that the craters of the moon were caused by noah's flood.

Science- it's as easy as putting on a lab coat and quoting moldy religious texts! God bless the Discovery Institute.
Add a Comment: