Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 99

All religion=Christianity?

:iconlaurenkatz:
LaurenKatz Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Filmographer
Usually when i hear atheists talking about how stupid religion is, the only one they ever seem to talk about is Christianity, like it's the only religion wrong with the world, and if it's not that it's Islam, two of the big proselytizing ones that say that you'll burn in hell for not believing what they believe, and then they go about it like those religions represent all religions.

But what about religions that don't push their beliefs on others? What about ones with totally different outlooks on the afterlife? if any at all? Like Buddhism and Judaism? I understand that christian ideas are pretty much embedded in western consciousness, such as the idea of hell, i had only learned about two years ago that Jews don't believe in hell. Before then i thought the whole concept of hell and damnation was universal and not exclusive to just Christianity (and Islam).

But that's the thing, a lot of the time, not all the time but a lot of the time Christians who turn atheist will condemn all religion like they're all like Christianity in particular. I know every religion has its "bible thumpers", Jews have them, Muslims have them, and Christians have them and so on, but religion at its core is meant to teach people the difference between right and wrong, and how people interpret right and wrong will sometimes vary depending on the person.

This is long XD, oh well.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Honestly the only thing I know about Judaism is that they are hated by the Christians and Muslims. I know why that started but I don't know why that has survived since then.
LaurenKatz Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student Filmographer
That has to do with just having a minority to blame for their countries problems. Same sort of thing happened to the gypsies. Although there were times when countries in Europe were prosperous because of Jews, like during the inquisition a lot if Spanish Jews left Spain for the Netherlands and the economy boomed there afterwards, while Spain's began to tank
:iconrestinmotion:
RestInMotion Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
That's true, however the Jews made countries prosper again due to Christian discrimination. Jews were only allowed to handle money because the Christians thought that type of work was immoral.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
The function of religion proposing moral constructs is what is used to distract people from the power structure that they impose through said moral constructs.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The ones who think that are narrow-minded no matter how much proof there is that there's more religions besides Christianity. I'm not talking just about those atheists you mentioned either.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think this is because atheists are most vocal in the western world, and the dominant religions in the western world are Christianity (and Islam). that's why those two are the "targets". However yes, there are different religion out there. also, not all Christians or Muslims are bad people.
I never said they were
:iconda1withdalongestname:
da1withdalongestname Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
Simple, when they talk about "world" they mostly mean Western Europe & the Americas. They don't really mean the entire world, most of them are stupid like that. Don't worry, you're clearly smarter than them for knowing other religions that is different.
thanks
:iconsososurprise:
SosoSurprise Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
For Christianity it's the religion with the most followers as for Islam..from what I hear islamphobes say its just pure misunderstanding or maybe ignorance ?
Add a Comment: