Closed to new replies
January 26, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 39

The Spirit Realm

:iconthesurrealisticmind:
thesurrealisticMind Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
For all the Christians, Muslims, Spiritualists, Witches and any other person who believes in such things, how do you interact with this realm. Do you need a guide? Or do you just enter some trance-like state? Do you believe it is cut off from our world and filled with its own beings, or do you think it is interwoven with ours?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkenota:
Kenota Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Spirituality is ultimately a kind of meta- or pataphor. It is the world of symbolic allegory for this one. It is a product of the mind, and is within the minds of humanity.
To correct myself, a sense of "spirit realm", not spirituality as a whole.
So your saying its all attainable through our minds and our minds only? No possibility of a world with spiritual beings?
I'm not saying there is no possibility, but it is my conviction that the experiences of a spirit realm to date more closely resemble the exploration of the interior of the mind than of some exterior world of spiritual beings.
That said, this by no means degrades their meaning, if anything it infuses them with deeper meaning. For these realms exist within are, and are part of us, and can be discovered and explored.
Within my own spirituality, the concept of exploring spiritual worlds, especially through the aid of entheogens, is rich and central, so by no means do I intend to suggest that these planes are somehow unreal or faked. It is just that their nature is not as it might initially be supposed.
That's an interesting way to look at it. Thanks for sharing!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Spirituality is madness.
You don't believe there could be more to this world than just the physical aspects?
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
There is nothing external to reality.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Here's my theory for how they do it: you must first really, really want to believe it, cast aside your logical reasoning, meditate, do drugs, have a weird dream, or whatever, then mentally distort that totally ordinary experience until you believe you have reached the spirit realm.

It's nonsense, in other words.
So its safe to say you don't believe in any possibility of there being higher levels of existence? Or simply spiritual realms?
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Almost. To be thorough and scientific, I must acknowledge that we are all far too ignorant to declare something is definitely impossible, so long as it's not contradictory. However, the "spirit realm" goes in the same mental-file where I keep deities, ghosts, fairies, and psychic powers: so absurdly unlikely as to not warrant any serious consideration.
Well, can't argue with that. Thanks for sharing!
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a skeptic but I am going to be joining an all night 'scientific' ghost hunt in May. I just want to be sure.
That actually sounds like fun. Nothing wrong with investigating.
:iconkamal-q:
Kamal-Q Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
For me (sunni Muslim), one feels the 'spirit-realm' when they're able to feel the beauty in existence, in spite of the suffering that exists...an acceptance of life being as it is (with its pleasure and pain), with a hopefulness - I'd say things like human will, our ability to rise above circumstances, and create something lasting are all a part of it- its also love/self-sacrifice. It's sort of the opposite of whimsical self-indulgence, and selfishness. (Granted at this point, there are plenty that argue that everything is selfishness, and self-sacrifice is nothing but wishful thinking. :shrug: )

Guides can help, and one can enter trance like states when meditating.
Nice. Thanks for sharing!
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student General Artist
Christians have a constant connection with this realm through the Holy Spirit. Whether they choose to use it is their choice. In my experience, the spiritual world is interwoven into the physical, and can directly influence it.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a "trance-like state". Sometimes people are unresponsive, usually when God takes them somewhere to show them something (usually called a vision), and sometimes they simply see and interact with both at the same time, something like one overlapping the other. Sometimes it's in dreams. There really isn't any set way for Christians to enter this realm, nor is there any set way for Christians to utilize it for God's purpose (unless otherwise specified by God.) The only requirement is spending time developing one's personal relationship with God.
Interesting. I have a question regarding the Holy Spirit. Do you believe it as some force or a divine being?
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student General Artist
As I believe it to be just as much a part of God as Jesus or God the Father, I'd have to say divine being.
Ok, just making sure. I always hear him referred to as a it and sometimes talked about as a being. It can be confusing -_-
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
It sort of overlaps ours, from what my 'friends on the other side' tell me. Some things(such as items used in magic) they can interact with more easily than others, as those items are already closer to that realm.

I've also heard some animals exist partway between this world in the next. Cats, for example, are said to be able to walk in and out of a magic circle without breaking it.
That's what I'm leaning towards in believing. Both worlds being in contact with another.

I find it interesting how cats are associated with the supernatural and some religions. I wonder if owls might be similar in those regards. They have that type vibe.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Cats, owls, snakes, bats, hyenas, some aquatic life...a lot of animals.
[link] <---- I know now.
:iconebolabearvomit:
EbolaBearVomit Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
If you're Muslim you need a suicide vest

:icongrin--plz:
Well, I have to admit, I was looking for a little bit more serious answers, but this got a few chuckles out of me, lol. Gotta enjoy the small things in life :)
:icongangsterplz:
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Apparently the Avatar is the bridge between our world and theirs.
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of A:tLA when I saw the title. :lmao:
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013   Writer
:la:
haha, yeah I should have considered that before making this thread.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist
I've repeatedly banged my head against the door by accident, but never got an answer from it. Afraid to ring the doorbells too, really.
Duh! Doors do not speak
D'oh!
I know this question is out there, and bound to be scorned upon by some. I'm just curious, that's all.
I wasn't necessarily scorning. Just having fun with language. The whole post is a metaphor.

"I've repeatedly banged my head against the door by accident, but never got an answer from it."
I had more close calls with death than I'd like.

"Afraid to ring the doorbells too, really."
Not particularly willing to die just to find out what's on the "other side", if there is one.
Oh, I see, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I'm in no interest to die anytime soon either to see if anything else happens.
Quite alright.

Though I'm aware that dying is only one method. One that I, presumably, can't turn back from. One way ticket. Others claim to use meditation and the like to make contact with the spirit realm, but if I could do does like they're doing, I'd have done. Though it might be that results vary from person to person. I can't say for sure.
Interesting, thanks for the response!
Add a Comment: