Details

Closed to new replies
January 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63
:iconmihaihen:
Mihaihen Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
As far as i can figure out, every one does the hole talk to spirits\spirit walk these days using swrooms or some other kind of drugs.
Am i the only one thinking they are nowhere near actually getting to the "spirit" plane like that?!?
Am i the only one that thinks the real shamans are long extinct?
I just believe they lie to themselves to run for the painful truth, they are just junkies.
For heavens sake, should a shaman not be able to walk in the spirit world without drugs?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconproductno49:
productno49 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Professional General Artist
Most of them now probably hang around McDonald and play Ps3.
:iconhungryartistsunited:
hungryartistsunited Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Pixel art-vertising: [link]
:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconspamspamplz:
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Rock n roll ain't noise pollution."
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Eh, depends, met a couple of them, they are a big part in the culture on this side of the planet. Since the western influence is high, these shamans & their practices being looked down upon to be hoaxers & people who associated with them are to be seen as morons.

Depends on the culture I guess, I don't see any shamans here need any drugs, might got to do with Hindu influences, it's always citing hymns or meditations. As how valid or legit they are, depends on the topic you're discussing with them, some research into the beliefs would help. Not so long ago I've met an oracle, oh how he lied his ass off just to get me to pay him, it was pretty funny to me to see how desperate he was. Imagine a puppy scratching your leg, begging for food. But change the puppy into a wrinkle old man with brown lens sunglasses.

So per your question, no, you're not alone to think like that.
:iconthoughtmemory:
ThoughtMemory Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well as far as I know, the sami people only uses a drum to get into a trance :shrug:
:iconenih:
Enih Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist
Drums and joik(a type of singing) as far as i know.

"A noaidi or noaide is a mediator between earthly world and the spirit world. The noaidi use a Sami drum and a domestic flute called a "fadno" in ceremonies. The traditional Sámi chant—the joik—was used in ceremonies where a noaidi fell in a trance, left their body, and transcended to the divine world of "saivo" where they negotiated with gods, spirits, and forefathers to improve the fate of their group."

From wikipedia,[link]
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional General Artist
There are still real live indigenous shamans.  I've watched National Geographic footage of one of the Mexican tribes that uses peyote in their rituals lead people through a walk while on it.  There are still numerous Native American tribes that use the psychedelics, and in order to do this stuff properly according to the beliefs, you need someone to guide you through the process.  Hell, even if you hang out with folks who do LSD for mainly recreational purposes, people try to provide guidance and support in order to prevent bad trips and so on.

I've also read Artaud's account of using peyote with the Tarahumaras in Mexico in the 1930s.  They are still around, if I recall, and still using peyote in their traditions.  I believe the Mexican government allows indigenous use of entheogenic substances for religious purposes, though don't quote me on that.

I don't see that drugs should have to be necessary to "walk in the spirit world."  There are lots of methods for getting there, and mystical schools explicitly against the use of drugs.  I am of the opinion that drugs can be a valid way of getting you there, but a lot of the Western drug culture has a different orientation that is not always supportive of this.  But then, I think there are plenty of people into the use of psychedelics who are.
:iconmihaihen:
Mihaihen Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
You know what i wanna know, what the European shamans used to get there?!? We know there where shamans in Europe. I read of them in sagas so the Norse had them. And our fellow da on here said he had them in his country. What did those guys use?!?
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional General Artist
Also, what ~skullkey said.  I believe ritualized use of those mushrooms is more speculation at this point, but if their hallucinogenic properties were known about, it's not unlikely.
Add a Comment: