Details

Closed to new replies
January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 71
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
Let's say we manage to create artificial intelligence that is so advanced that it perfectly mirrors that of a human's. Passes the Turing test and everything, give it skin and you would never know the difference. Futurama-type smart. What kind of rights do you think these new robots would have? Would they be treated as equals with human beings? Would they be disposable? What if a robot sued you in court? Would the trial stand? Would there be robot discrimination laws? I'm curious to hear what you think.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist
This issue will get even more complicated in that we won't achieve this level of artificial intelligence immediately. We'll advance through a lot of murky, gray areas before we get to the point where we have robots with "perfect" (as you describe) A.I.

So, I think a lot of these issues will be at least somewhat settled by the time we're this advanced. But, not without a long history of drawn-out politics..
:iconapricots-from-nara:
Apricots-from-Nara Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Student General Artist
The matrix will happen.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If we ever got to that stage of making a robot look exactly like a human, then they would not be accepted as as sentient until scientists found a way of uploading a 'born' human's mind into the robot mind. That would be the one and only time that they would be accepted. Real human mind in a robot body. You could just imagine Mars being populated by beings such as this. No need for special suits or even needing to breathe. Yes, been watching too much 'Avatar' ;-)
:iconaellawalker:
AellaWalker Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Sounds like someone's been watching the Data episodes of Star Trek. Or if you haven't, you should as they address this exact question. They're the best episodes in the Next Generation.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I think they should be allowed to marry and adopt children if they want to.
:iconalzebetha:
alzebetha Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
See the key word here is 'mirrors'. unless there is own unique sentience its not worth consideration.
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
:) Yey! An ethics question; time for me to exercise what I learned from my ethics class.

Ethics is invented only be the very beings that thought of them: humans. The more human-like something is, the more we consider ourselves close to it. All the more do we want to treat it the same way we treat ourselves.
However, I will limit robot rights because they are still inorganic beings. I wouldn't give a robot the exact same rights a human because it will never be human. It is a robot, it is sentient and it is human-like BUT it is not a human being. There are some things it can and can't do.

But I think, because it's a robot, there is a larger danger of abuse since simple rewiring or mussing up of circuitry can affect this AI. It's still all silica and metal after all :(
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
True, but it's not so hard to "re-wire" humans, when you think about it. A little electrical stimulation here, a little hormones there, we've found ways to manipulate human emotions and thoughts as well.
:iconnonecansee:
nonecansee Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist
Yes but humans have a higher capability of introspect and thus a way to realize things and behave differently depending on that.
Robots are limited by the quality of their materials and what their memory banks have stored. Humans are made of materials that constantly adjust and affects our hormones and responses. Even if we are also manipulable, machines are still easier to manipulate.

Think about it: Psychology is a science that takes years to master because of the many things still unsure about the human psyche, etc. Computer science also takes years to master but its application is straightforward. :)
:iconnovuso:
Novuso Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Ever think the Turing test itself might be flawed? Humans have multiple states of consciousness that make us who we are. There many layers to human sentience such: Subconscious, instinct, ego, higher self, and dream states that create altered consciousness. A robot that could simulate happiness or suffering would not be anywhere close to being human.
Add a Comment: