Buddhism? A way to evade the distractions?

This practice is something that's interested me for a very long time now, Eastern religion in general always stands out to me, but with as much as I've learned I've gathered Buddhism focuses on trying to better humanity, focus on the here and now rather than the past. I find their ideas very fascinating because they don't fall victim to distractions by distractions. (Thank you, T.S. Eliot)

I attended a while ago a Buddhist Temple for one of their sessions, and the Monk discussed that anyone can be Buddhist. Well, that is to say that if you feel the concept- the idea within, than it is what you can become. Although always beneficial, you never have to go completely the path as the monks teach and feel any less their ideas than what they do. I found it very comforting I could have the freedom to still be who I am but claim ownership to some idea of facing the world.

Are there practicing Buddhists around that would like to give a little input? I know my ideas on this topic are not most accurate at all, so any clarity on the subject to help spread the idea is completely welcome and helpful! :)
Comments105
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Haha, thank you for the bump. :nod:
its not as amazing as it looks from a distance. there are bigots in every religion. i remember that one european woman who shaved her head and moved into a Budhist temple in Thailand. after 15 years of solitude and devotion, she asked something to the monk and he replied with something that i forgot now and that made her suddenly realize "what the hell? i have 2 children at home. a husband that i neglected. what am i doing here alone? throwing away my family and womanhood?"

she was not allowed to take any of her possessions while moving in to the temple and leave behind all her distractions, including family, so that she could focus on meditating to reach nirvana, even though she would never reach nirvana because women monks are not allowed the title of nirvana in the Budhist order.

Budha himself never said this though. its the monks that have collected all the lore and wrote their own texts as if they were in the context of Budhism itself who wrote that stupid rule. like in every other religion, best is to study the core of it rather than the surrounding cloud of enthusiasm.
Well, she didn't have to leave her family. It would help your argument if you remembered what the Monk said to her exactly that made her realize she went too far in Buddhism.

I myself am too passionate of a person to take Buddhism to that level. There are things I enjoy doing too much and I'm perfectly content with not being a Monk. I think most cases with taking that sort of route to Buddhism is for those that are either raised in it or have a different outlook on life than what you or me, or that mother had. But that's what I enjoy about Buddhism is you don't HAVE to give up everything you love to consider yourself a Buddhist. Buddhism really is non-objective and non-judgmental and that's why it just clicks with me. A monk here in Buffalo told me you can be anything you want and if you just practice being a good person and try to expel good feelings towards others and just maintain a more level-head towards life, you can be Buddhist in very simple terms. That's what it's all about.

Sure, there are those out there that occasionally ruin the name with their personal mistakes, that's humanity and religion in general, but it doesn't reflect what Buddhism really is at its core.
oh im not arguing really :)
Aw, no worries. :D I mean, of course nothing in this world is perfect, and that is okay, too. :nod: There's just a lot of focus on humanity and extending that idea towards others and that is my main attraction to it. :giggle:
maybe you like Sufism too, its greatly influenced by Buddhism.

"Either seem as you are
Or be as you seem

Come, come again, whoever you are, come!
Heathen, fire worshipper or idolatrous, come!
Come even if you broke your penitence a hundred times,
Ours is the portal of hope, come as you are."

[link]
[link]
Ooo, I actually don't know much about Sufism at all. :) What can you tell me about it? It was influenced by Buddhism?
oh i could write a novel about it. briefly a Sufi aims to pass the boundries of earthly distractions and flesh limits trough personal mastery and spiritual evolution, hoping to reach to God trough transcendence.

when persia massively converted to Islam, they have interpreted the teachings trough shivaism and Buddhism, especially in the khorasan where many of these teachings have literally crossed. but it doesnt mean that Sufis are more like Buddhist than Muslim, its not an integration of teachings but more like a revolutionary synthesis or chemical reaction of them all. they have common things like reincarnation, spiritual existence, immaterial perception, shapeshifting, observe-first philosophy etc.

generally it comes from the root which means covered/people who wear wool. theyre also famous for using wooden swords.

it has influenced the general culture all over. the humbleness it has inflicted the people with in the geography has often been mistaken by the non-catholic Christian population with inferiority complex. but thats not true. it has influenced a very wide range of literature and music and scientific (like Hayyam) branches, even creating its of literature branch in several different countries.

"What you call human is a collection of energy,
You see in this world what you want to see.
If you want to see roses,
World turns into a rose garden.
If you want to see the thorns,
The world turns into a thorn garden."

Sufism influenced modern music:

[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
View all replies
Buddhism is a reform of Hinduism, and I prefer Advaita Vedanta/Jnana Yoga over Buddhism which comes from Hinduism. The traditional goal of yoga and meditation is "samadhi" which at its most basic could be considered objectless awareness, or being aware of whatever isn't thought. In Buddhism there are levels of knowledge (jnanas) which are actually temporary samadhis, whereas nirvana is samadhi which has destroyed every mental impression of attachment (samskara), thus becoming effortless.

According to Advaita Vedanta there are different samskaras and only some are destroyed by meditation, which is how non-attachment is not actually the destruction of desire.
That is a hypocrisy I have noticed in Buddhism. I'm sure there are explanations around that, just like the idea in Buddhism you adapt yourself to not have expectations of others, so in a way not have expectations of anything in the world, therefor you nullify desires you may have in the world.

But to my understanding, wouldn't you technically have expectations if you expect yourself to react a certain way, therefor after all your expectations are still there whether it's channeled one way or another? :P There's some silliness here and there.
To me, dealing with subjectivity is dealing with endless contradiction. The practice in Buddhism and Yoga is the same, maybe it would be best to call it being present, so the technicalities aren't as important to me as the practice.
you don't need to consider yourself a buddhist to achieve the same things they do.
That is very true!! I bring this author/poet up a lot, T.S. Eliot's work is great at bringing a person from where they immediately are to a different place involving a little more self awareness, so it's definitely not just Buddhism that encourages these ideas, they're just harder to find in a lot of Western Religion anymore. I think the idea of Buddhism at least introduced it to me from the get-go and I'd have to say Eliot definitely reinforced these ideas, and he converted to Anglicanism. :nod: Christianity used to be a lot about that, though. Not quite as many prejudices as there are now.
yeah, buddhists are just normal humans like everyone else. we are all capable of the same things.
In Buddhism, all distractions are maya, i.e., false. However, easily distracted people are the most creative.
Hey, you're right!! :D I realized that in class yesterday when I started drawing again while the teacher was giving her BORING lecture. lol But she showed some cool art.
Maybe those people are not easily distracted--maybe it is the world that is trying to distract them, and they have tuned it out to focus on what is important?
:nod: It's a very wholesome experience, especially today when technology pushes a lot of that to the wayside. Definitely not intentionally, but it's hard to not want to take an easier route with communicating with people and handling personal issues :/ It never leads to contentment, though.
My Father was a buddhist,so I'm qualified to tell you not to fall for this stupidity. All religions have violent episodes,and Christianity has 'peace and love'on their flags in theory just as Buddhism does, or moreso, if you believe either side more or less.

How about you look up why Sri Lanka is named this way, 'holy island' and what that name did for it's peaceful progression through the ages before you spill bullshit like 'Buddhism is like.. so peaceful and I feel such a loving connection and love and.. flowers.. and I want to feel good pleaseeee new age powaaa!'
Well, I guess it's whatever works for everyone. It resonates with me more than the Western-Religion influence I've been raised with, to me it's more about applying what I learn with my day to day life, so if it makes me a better person the way to get there shouldn't really matter :D I will look up Sri Lanka for sure though, thanks for the tidbit.
Resonates? it's not a sonic wave. It cannot resonate with you. And the fact that you only present it as a better alternative to your current faith shows how low you truly value it.

You don't become a better person by believing in the ideas of other people and deluding yourself in feeble delusions of a better life to come, but by questioning your own motives and conceptions.

You're already in the best possible paradise, but human stupidity in the guise of ignorance turns it into hell.
I don't understand what is really your problem with Buddhism. You don't mention it anywhere in your comment. Your father is a Buddhist. ok. what did he do so that you conclude that Buddhism is stupidity?

Second, what's wrong with Sri-Lanka?

You don't become a better person by believing in the ideas of other people and deluding yourself in feeble delusions of a better life to come, but by questioning your own motives and conceptions.
Buddha invites and encourages each one of us to question and analyze his teachings before we accept them. Therefore, following Buddhism is not simply following "other people's idea". A Buddhist follow Buddha's teaching only if he agrees with it. If not, he is free not to be a Buddhist. Also, Buddhism is not about "deluding ourselves in feeble delusions of a better life to come". That is the teachings of other religions, not Buddhism. If anything, Buddhism emphasize that the most important thing is NOW, THIS LIFE. Take a look of this verse: [link] .
Oh, he is relatively unrelated, though he isn't super smart.

Evaluate teachings? So Buddhism is life positive? Are you deliberately trying to make me laugh? First of all your true goal is to become 'nothing' to esacpe suffering, and bullshit like that.

Sri lanka hmnn oh just THE MURDER OF THE FIRST ELECTED PRESIDEND OF SRI LANKA BY A BUDDHIST PRIEST.. and THE GENOCIDAL PROGROMS ON THE TAMIl PEOPLE BY BUDDHISTS..

Capitalized cause I'm growing tired of you stupid buddhism fans not knowing about this stuff.So if you think this is such a peaceful religion and evaluate it, how about discarding it now?

but hey, Isla.. err.. Buddhism is a religion of peace!

So the religion wishing to discard their humanity to become one with the nothing is human positive? I think not.

As for some random verses encouraging evaluation? ... that's so cute! I wonder if you know or ever heard of the book 'Zen at war', it'd ruin your childish delusions further for sure.