Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 53

Life is Cruel. Do you agree?

:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
When I was a little boy, I bullied a fellow student. I insulted him, pushed him around, and promised him that I would never be his friend.
As time went on, I became more and more aloof. But my good looks made up for my complete lack of social skills, so I was accepted by the "preps" in middle school, you hate group if there ever was one. At first I fit into the group alright, but tension was starting to mount. By the end of middle school, most of my prep "friends" turned there back on me after blaming ME for getting myself beat up by a street gang!
By High School, I had no friends. I was universally accepted as a loser.
That is my story about how life had made an ass of me, and therefore I believe that life is cruel and ironic. Do you agree with me? Please tell me your story.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That's called karma bro.
I think life is cruel fur people like the poor buoy you bullied fur no reason.
But not fur people like you. People like you deserve what happens to them.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Life's a bitch and then you die.
Unless your invincible.... then it's just a bitch.
:icon4artuneedanopenmind:
4artuneedanopenmind Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Karmas a b!tch, as they say..... What goes around comes around afterall, you were once a bully.
:iconshakuchan1995:
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Life is cruel for sure, but in your situation, at least it gave you a chance to learn what you did to the fellow student. Being pushed around, banned from community and being constantly insulted in the childhood make people believe they're really ugly, stupid and should feel bad. You gave him a great chance for him to end up like you're ended up now.

You would have more friends if you've worked on it instead of trying to hide your lack of social skills with ashaming others...
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Life is like love - expecting, wanting, dying.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
I never viewed life as cruel, only stern.
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Writer
Life is never fair, and always enjoys influcting pain on people.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
Just think about it, your in high school and your still a teen growing up. You just learn alot now its never good to be mean to people. But what can you do? Forgive them. If you hold a grudge for a long time it hurts alot more then feeling sorry for yourself.

And hey, Ive gotten my fair share of bullying throughout my younger years. All I could think of is boys are super dumb, and tried my best to think they were ok. They would put on this big smile on their faces, and when ever I retaliated, all it did was it made them laugh more. But it was soo hard. They were acting like boys that never understands a girls feelings. The most embarassing story was in high school that a guy broke an expensive pencil, ($5). I was crying through class, and I couldn't tell my teacher. Then my teacher tried to ask me something and he kind of joke about it. He didn't realize I was crying and the whole class laughed. That was really embarassing.

You would think that was the end of the story, well I don't rember, other then getting paid back for the pencil $5. But emotional scarrs can't truely heal, only relieve.

But one amazing thing is in high school, a guy who bullied me throughout high school, forgave me. I mean, that is the more powerful thing then complaining don't you think. Complaining get you no where, but forgiving and talking to the person that hate you or you hate, that is some courage dude.

Take it from Frank Peritti's example. It took him 40 years to really buck up and figure out how to treat his wounds for bullying. He writes about his experience in the wounded spirit. And he has a whole seminar how bullying on the other end affect others:
[link]

But look at him, he is still working as a best selling author.

Sure this on the other end, but the result is the same. You take a bad risk when you treat someone horribly. You never know one day what will happen the next.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been thinking about why you used the title 'Life is Cruel' To me it shows that you still have not learnt your lesson. Stop thinking of yourself and look around at all the other 'cruelty' in life. Most of it can be prevented. Be now, one of those who can make a difference.
:icongigapipen1407:
GigaPipen1407 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I beleive in this saying called "What comes around goes around."

Long story short, everything in life balances itself out. You are a prime example. Yin and Yang, good and bad. You can bet that any time you hurt someone, it'll come back and bite you in the ass.

I dislike your usage of "Life is cruel". Yeah? Did you expect that it'd be happiness, sunshine, and sex all around? The sooner you get adjusted to the fact that life sucks, people suck, karma's a bitch, the sooner you'll be able to go out and survive in the world.

Life's a bitch. Deal with it.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
first of all, sorry if I say this, but you earn that :D . Now you feels how it is like when you are bullied.

second, as Buddha said, life is "dukkha", which can be translated as unhappiness/unsatisfactoriness/suffering. There will always be unhappiness/unsatisfactoriness/suffering in our lives. but there is a way to be free from suffering, that's what Buddha teaches.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You totally earned that!

I was on the other side of the story. I was the girl that was being bullied, and my life at school has been made to a living hell by people like you. Luckily I was motivated as hell, and worked my ass off in university. A few months ago I met one of the kids that used to bully me in high school. It has been 10 years since then. She had a lousy job as a waiter in a cheap restaurant, while I studied and eventually made it to a good office job. The look in her eyes while she had to take orders from the company I worked for was priceless. And I couldn't think anything other than: karma finally did a good job!
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Then life is cruel after all.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No, things like that are quite fair.
You get back what you give, in the end.
But I was young and misguided. I didn't deserve to be transformed into an ugly, friendless person for that.
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Your actions have consequences.
You sort of did deserve it.
You don't know the affect serious bullying can have on salmon.

You may not have friends, but what skiff the kid you bullied took his own life because of you?
I think hes probably doing worse, and its your fault.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Think about it? The one you used to bully? Did they deserve what they got? They probably weren't even in a position that karma could backfire on them.

But it's not like this is the end of your life already.
You can still change things. It's never too late for that.
You just learned about how your past behavior made people as miserable as you are now. Take this as a valuable lesson and change your behavior from here on. It'll make you a better person in the end.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So basically, life is cruel because of social reciprocation? Because of elementary cause-and-effect? Nonsense. Your isolation was the result of your own actions, and you will have no sympathy from me. "Life" didn't do this to you. Take responsibility for your personal failings and take action. Learn to be decent to people and make some friends, because if you don't, you have no one to blame for your isolation than yourself.
:iconelidy:
Elidy Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
life cannot be cruel, because to be cruel it would have to be sentient. A more accurate statement would be that people are cruel (yes, you included, me as well, and everyone else, we all have our moments) and circumstances are unfair.

Also, you had it coming, sorry, but you did. Now just try to be a better person.
And, misuse of "ironic"
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student General Artist
My life has been pretty good so far
Have you ever bullied anyone? Or, have you been bullied?
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
If you're talking about serious bullying, no. The worst I had was a kid who'd always call me gay on the bus in high school. I've never bullied anyone, unless you count little jabs at people here and there bullying
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
*people are cruel
:iconthisplz:
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Since you've been so honest about your history, there are those who might say that you got your comeuppance; that what happened to you was not irony but karma, and that you have perhaps learned a valuable lesson from it.
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
All teenagers should really think about volunteering in soup kitchens and with the elderly. Then they will see that there is more to life than satisfying their own selfish wants. It can be a real eye opener and life affirming. Try it someday and become a real man or woman.
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You are talking about Karma. You made your own life cruel and ironic by being unkind to others. Reap what you sow!
:iconpippintookoftheshire:
PippinTookoftheShire Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Karma is unprovable. Certain forms of Karma, such as revenge coming from the person you wronged or thanks from the person you helped, are provable, but this particular situation is just bad luck.
:iconmagusthelofty:
MagusTheLofty Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
I don't believe it's bad luck at all. It was a poor choices.

He said it himself that his looks were passable to be friends with the preps, which means they were only his friends bc he was one of the beautiful people, not bc of the content of his character.

The OP was cruel to at least one person, and befriended a group of people who would ultimately be cruel to him. He chose those friends, probably bc he saw something of himself in them, and gravitated towards them.
:iconpippintookoftheshire:
PippinTookoftheShire Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Ah, I see. Makes sense now.
:iconkaput6no:
kaput6no Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013   Digital Artist
Life isn't cruel or benevolent, life is.
:iconsuicide-cupcake:
Suicide-Cupcake Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
When analyzing what life is and isn't, don't use yourself as an example. (I'm pretty sure) There's been over 10 billion humans and, to your point, most of their lives were faaaaar worse than yours.

But yes, life is extremely harsh. Evolution is cruel. Somebody said cruel denotes intentions - well, natural selection is, to the extent a concept can be, cruel. Life is the avoidance of the death of your species. The important thing to take from that is that things that make you happy and content with your life - social acceptance, success, comfort, etc - are the key to living and living well. If you are happy you can live longer and are less likely to get disease. Nature does fuck over the weak and unfortunate, but it also allows the successful to thrive and get a lot of enjoyment out of their lives.
:icongvcspecks:
gvcspecks Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Life doesn't give a shit. You are who you are.
:iconspaniardwithknives:
SpaniardWithKnives Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well. Life is cruel. It should not be, but it is.

I was a sweet, little thing that was teached to treat others the way I wanted to be treated, but nobody told me that the playground was full of psychos. I learned the hard way. I was by then, the runt of the class, somebody who had to be fast enough to avoid the bullies. I did not get my ass kicked so often because I was too damn fast. There were easier, slower victims around

Then I grew up and snapped :iconevilgrinplz: when I discovered I was strong enough to hold my ground with both girls and boys.

In high school I fitted the stereotype of a leather jacketed thug with an string of fistfights on her back and scars from fights gone wild; by then I was perceived as a crazy fighter because I would hit somebody with the first thing I got on my hand (I threw a chair to somebody once and sent her for stitches) and choke rivals until somebody pulled me out.

My reduced circle of friends were funny boy nerds mostly. The preppy,classy girls maintained the distance from my while talking shit on my back..., well.

There was a rumor that I carried a knife around and I allowed that rumor to spread because it helped with my bad girl persona.

Looking back... boy, I was crazy...
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
"That is my story about how life had made an ass of me, and therefore I believe that life is cruel and ironic. "

That's silly.

Cruel and ironic applied as traits to something that doesn't exist.
Life is not an entity. Life is a state of being.
:iconiriastar:
Iriastar Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I disagree. Life is pretty amazing.

You should seriously get over it. Life didn't make an ass of you, it was yourself. Stop blaming others for your own faults.
Fuck that! I was bullied more than I bullied others! Life's a total BITCH!
:iconiriastar:
Iriastar Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Life didn't do anything, it was yourself and your bullies. Life's not a being and you can't attribute it human qualities.

Blaming life is way easier than accepting it was your fault then getting over it. It's the denial's way. Bad things never happen to someone who doesn't need them, to someone who hasn't accumulated negative karma over his existence.
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Nope, the universe doesn't care.
And you sound like a little self centered prick. If you don't like your life, change it. Don't blame the universe, or whoever.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
No.

Cruel means it's intentional.

Life, the universe, whatever you want to call it, is not intentionally targeting anybody for anything.

YOU did actions that had consequences. YOU made your life what it is.

The universe not only DOES not care about you, it CANNOT care.
:iconthelittleone:
thelittleone Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
"Life is Cruel"

Of course it is, that's what makes it so funny!

Honestly, I was a bitch in High School. I was angry, spiteful, and sure everyone was talking about me behind their backs, which caused me to be less than likable (on top of that I was dealing with a lot of stuff at home - depression, anxiety, etc.) My paranoid attitude is what caused people to start teasing and tormenting me. I still resent them some, but it's been 7 years for me now. The only thing that matters is what you learn from that experience and how you use it to improve yourself.

If life wasn't cruel, you'd never learn anything.
:iconbleachrocks2010:
bleachrocks2010 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think life treated you pretty fairly I have had a lot more hardships than you ever had and being bullied for over 10 years in every school I went to is just one of them.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional General Artist
You're young, and you're basing your generalization about life on your own limited experiences, which may be an accurate perception of the situation (hard to say) but may not define all experiences.  Not to mention that the cruelty and suffering you've dealt with is pretty mild compared to what others have suffered.  You did, however, learn a valuable lesson about the divide between want we want and think will make us happy and what we actually get.
:iconscurron:
Scurron Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student General Artist
I think you just have a high opinion of yourself. :shrug: Try coming down to the Earth for a bit, instead of being in those self-pitying spheres. Confront your problems. I was bullied as well in elementary school, but my reason was fear, fear of people, contacts. So, I beat the fear and now some of these "tormentors" are my best friends.

But I still find myself thinking inappropriate thoughts about people I dunno for no reason at all. Must be some sort of leftover from those times. ^^;
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
No, you were just a twat.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
So I deserved to get treated like the boy I bullied in elementary school?
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
No one deserves to get bullied.
Then I'm not a twat and I didn't deserve to get bullied.
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
No one deserves to get bullied, you're still a twat for doing what you did, however.
So you're saying anyone who has bullied someone is a twat?
Add a Comment: