Tradition and Religion.

What does "tradition" mean to you, if anything, and do you think it has any place in religion? That is to say, do you think religions should adhere to more traditional beliefs and customs or do you think they should evolve and adapt with time? Discuss. :|
Comments58
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
tradition and religion are different things but they affected each other to great extent
but for example one cant criticize people wearing burkas for their religion, because its their tradition. etc.
Religion is history.
Only a fraction of it.
Nope, tradition and culture should adopt itself to religion. For a better world.
How would that work?
Probably wouldnt anymore, ireland had it right until about 25 years ago.
You say that, but which religion?
any civilised religion.
Eh, both of them collide & integrate 1 other all the time. A Japanese Buddhists won't do what Burmese Buddhists do, so does the Italian Christians won't do what British Christians do. Doctrines may intact but it's not that people there will do it because it differs than what they have been doing. Unless they're being forced to, but then it takes centuries or thousands of years to fully integrate them.
Like what the people here say "Some meat only like some medicines" Means "Just because it works for someone doesn't mean it works for everyone"
Aye, that's true enough.
If the only choice was to have it stay the same or have it change, then I'd say have it change. Still, once you a tradition changes, no matter how slowly, does it then remain tradition?
Probably not, no, but would that be a good thing or a bad thing?
That would depend on changes, but so long as it's something that can be learned from, I don't think it would be wholly bad.
Tradition is a set of customs shared by a group of people. This tradition may be based on holy doctrine, or even if not, it may be specific to one religion nonetheless.
The traditions of men are nearly useless; the Tradition of the Soul is valuable beyond description.
I like that. :nod:
I don't mean to insult those who put their faith in a holy book, but if God is infinite, then the Word of God should also be infinite, and therefore impossible to contain in a work of literature, no matter how close it comes to the Primordial Truth. It isn't something that can be explained to a person, the pieces can only come together through study, meditation, and the divine enlightenment.
So would you say that there's any real purpose to or truth in something like the Bible?
Yes, there is purpose and truth in the Bible and books like it, but instead of being the whole truth, it's more like a piece of the puzzle, or looking at a single side of a die. It's valid, but there's also symbolism, things that are implied but not actually stated, and maybe a missing piece here or there keeping it from making as much sense as it potentially could.

To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing actually written in the Bible that claims it's the complete and literal revealed Word of God, in spite of their insistence that it is. In fact, it's impossible to take the Bible literally, because even most conservative Christians can recognize and admit to the use of metaphor. I guess fundies are the only ones who would be insulted by my comment. :)
they should adapt and evolve with time, as I believe no religion is for all people for eternity.
I believe each religion is only suitable for specific people for specific era. humans morality evolve. I will give you silly example. there is a cannibalistic tribe. then there is religion founded, which says that eating humans is wrong, but say nothing about eating animals. as time goes by, this cannibalistic tribes leave their habit eating humans. but it shouldn't stop there. once they know why eating humans is wrong, they have to start to think whether eating animals is correct, even if it is not taught in their religions. and so on. humans morality, consciousness, and way of thinking will always evolve. that's why no religion is intended for all people for all eternity.