Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 57

Tradition and Religion.

:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
What does "tradition" mean to you, if anything, and do you think it has any place in religion? That is to say, do you think religions should adhere to more traditional beliefs and customs or do you think they should evolve and adapt with time? Discuss. :|

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
tradition and religion are different things but they affected each other to great extent
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Mmhmm?
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
but for example one cant criticize people wearing burkas for their religion, because its their tradition. etc.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Religion is history.
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Only a fraction of it.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Nope, tradition and culture should adopt itself to religion. For a better world.
How would that work?
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Probably wouldnt anymore, ireland had it right until about 25 years ago.
:iconeternaljedi:
EternalJedi Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
You say that, but which religion?
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
any civilised religion.
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Eh, both of them collide & integrate 1 other all the time. A Japanese Buddhists won't do what Burmese Buddhists do, so does the Italian Christians won't do what British Christians do. Doctrines may intact but it's not that people there will do it because it differs than what they have been doing. Unless they're being forced to, but then it takes centuries or thousands of years to fully integrate them.
Like what the people here say "Some meat only like some medicines" Means "Just because it works for someone doesn't mean it works for everyone"
Aye, that's true enough.
:iconanark10n:
anark10n Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If the only choice was to have it stay the same or have it change, then I'd say have it change. Still, once you a tradition changes, no matter how slowly, does it then remain tradition?
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Probably not, no, but would that be a good thing or a bad thing?
:iconanark10n:
anark10n Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That would depend on changes, but so long as it's something that can be learned from, I don't think it would be wholly bad.
:iconpippintookoftheshire:
PippinTookoftheShire Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Tradition is a set of customs shared by a group of people. This tradition may be based on holy doctrine, or even if not, it may be specific to one religion nonetheless.
:iconhorus2299:
Horus2299 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
The traditions of men are nearly useless; the Tradition of the Soul is valuable beyond description.
I like that. :nod:
Horus2299 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
I don't mean to insult those who put their faith in a holy book, but if God is infinite, then the Word of God should also be infinite, and therefore impossible to contain in a work of literature, no matter how close it comes to the Primordial Truth. It isn't something that can be explained to a person, the pieces can only come together through study, meditation, and the divine enlightenment.
So would you say that there's any real purpose to or truth in something like the Bible?
Horus2299 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
Yes, there is purpose and truth in the Bible and books like it, but instead of being the whole truth, it's more like a piece of the puzzle, or looking at a single side of a die. It's valid, but there's also symbolism, things that are implied but not actually stated, and maybe a missing piece here or there keeping it from making as much sense as it potentially could.

To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing actually written in the Bible that claims it's the complete and literal revealed Word of God, in spite of their insistence that it is. In fact, it's impossible to take the Bible literally, because even most conservative Christians can recognize and admit to the use of metaphor. I guess fundies are the only ones who would be insulted by my comment. :)
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
they should adapt and evolve with time, as I believe no religion is for all people for eternity.
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Why not?
hanciong Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I believe each religion is only suitable for specific people for specific era. humans morality evolve. I will give you silly example. there is a cannibalistic tribe. then there is religion founded, which says that eating humans is wrong, but say nothing about eating animals. as time goes by, this cannibalistic tribes leave their habit eating humans. but it shouldn't stop there. once they know why eating humans is wrong, they have to start to think whether eating animals is correct, even if it is not taught in their religions. and so on. humans morality, consciousness, and way of thinking will always evolve. that's why no religion is intended for all people for all eternity.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. Makes sense. :nod:
hanciong Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yes, sadly, many people would disagree. and claiming that their religions are the most correct one.
Eh, that's just human nature for you I suppose. We don't like being wrong. :shrug:
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
This 3:5 rate of people understanding the meaning of tradition is quite promising.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
If so not many people would have adopted Christianity as it is not a traditional religion of their people.
Why do you think tradition matters so much to people? Out of interest.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
If it worked then it probably works now. That and the preservation of the state of society. If a society is doing good and happy what is there to change? However once things are going bad, it is either because we rely to much on tradition or not enough on tradition, something must be changed.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Evolve. I think it's contrary to the spirit of religion to be a stick in the mud, but that may just be how I see it.
Maybe so, but I'd have to agree with you nonetheless.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Religion *is* tradition. If you jettison the tradition from it, you have nothing left.

That's a different issue from whether it should "adapt". Being traditional does not mean you're frozen in amber.
Should it adapt then?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
They generally do, one way or another, or die.
:iconrwingett:
rwingett Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Anything which does not adapt is dooming itself to eventual extinction.
It's like evolution for religions. :la:
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional General Artist
Tradition is just the customs and beliefs shared by members of a religion, passed on over time.  Tradition does have a particular meaning in, say, Catholicism that is slightly different from other Christian sects or non-Christian religions, but the role and function is more or less the same.  One may also have tradition without being a traditionalist, more flexible in changing those traditions or willing to question.  There is also Traditionalism, which is more related to Perennialism, which is sort of related but not really quite the same thing.
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Truth is timeless.
Meaning what?
:iconeternaljedi:
EternalJedi Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
I believe he's implying that his religion is 'Truth' and therefore timeless, or not needing revision.
Well, that's certainly one way to think of it.
:iconnikkixkaila:
NikkiXKaila Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
He believes in what the Bible says therefore it's right and everyone must follow it.
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Well, that's one way about it.
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd say religion needs to keep to original teachings mostly, but be able to update them if they cause conflict.
Aye, that seems like the best idea.
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm an Integral Traditionalist. [link]
That makes quite a bit of sense, given how religions seem to function.
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know, right? :D I've got a whole shelf of relevant literature, though I'm yet to read most of it. In English, there must be a lot of works from Frithjof Schuon, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Titus Burckhardt and James Cutsinger.
Add a Comment: