January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 64

Is philosophy a waste of time?

:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Well, is it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconchirohito:
chirohito Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
that was a philosophical question itself. haha. not really...
i dont think it is.
what is the purpose of life?
why?
when?
universe?
pudding?
think about it, humans always look for shortcuts or easy stuff right? they never use uneccassary work or thinking, its all just pointless. so why has philosophy survived throughout the centuries? humans are very curious beings.
:iconsspirate:
SSPirate Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
yes
:iconchirohito:
chirohito Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
no
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think philosophy can be a waste of time if all one cares about is to pick up a bunch of quotes from well-known philosophers to superficially impress others.

The deeper part op philosophy delves into questions about life, ranging from sciences to social contracts. The grueling job involves laying out one's train of thoughts out in the open then trying to piece together something coherent, whether it be a belief system or a scientific method. So. if one is willing to take time and energy for this grueling task, then philosophy is not a waste of time.

Philosophy is not as easy as it appears.
:iconlucemferre1776:
LucemFerre1776 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
as with everything else, it depends on the circumstances... for someone who is materialistic and spends thier whole life chasing "things" then yeah, i would say that philosophy would be a waste of time for them... but on the other hand, someone who is spiritual and spends thier life questioning and looking for the deeper meaning behind humanities purpose on this earth then i would say that philosophy is very important...
:iconaellawalker:
AellaWalker Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Only as much as everything is a waste of time
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
depends on what you want...money?if you are good you can earn with it, a moral law?it is useful, try to understand the world?it can be. But as every over-construction it can or not be useful, but it is interesting and that's all.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Do I amuse you?
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
in which of your post?
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Doesn't the idea of waste (as something being fruitless in terms of advancing toward a destination) already assume a purpose, which thus suggests an implicit ontology?
Add a Comment: