January 13, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 153

Do Demonic Possessions still happen?

:iconttfnjinx:
TTFNJinx Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Can demons still possess you?

I asked many people i knew but they didn't know the answer. I've seen on those ghost shows but always blew it off as false information. Then today I heard one story of a kid getting possessed by a "lying demon" told by a good Christian and foot ball player. So now I worry, I've never been close to God and i sin like crazy. I once had a panic attack about the devil trying to grab me and I swore I saw demons. (At least that's what my friend said she heard me say before I passed out).

So I want to know, can demons possess people today?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   Digital Artist
You're asking the wrong question.

Do possessions still happen implies that they used to and no longer do.
Either they never did and still don't.
Or they did, and still do, because why would it stop if it was existing in the first place.
:iconelidy:
Elidy Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Demonic possessions never happened and never will. This is because of one, simple fact. There are no such things as demons. In every reported case of so called "demonic possession, there is a logical and scientific answer. Contaminants(chemicals hat alter brain function, in some cases, drugs such as hallucinogens, epilepsy, schizophrenia(as welll as other mental disorders, etc. So you see, substitute logic for superstition, and there is noting to be afraid of by way of demons.
:iconseth2012chaos:
seth2012chaos Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
schizophrenia
:iconthelamadude:
TheLamadude Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Filmographer
Hate to be a downer, but Nope.

Just No.
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
yup.
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Digital Artist
They never did happen. It's all fairy tales.
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, if you believe in demons...then sure. Why should they stop?

Lots of things that were considered 'demons' have been explained, but there are still situations when an exorcism is the only thing that works. Is it because of real demons, or is it just in their head? Who knows. But it works.

Being a person who interacts with nonphysical entities pretty often, I'd say yes, they can possess people. I've had problems with them. And I've found that some of those problems respond to meds, and some of them respond to magic.

If they ever happened, then they are still happening. If they never happened, well, they sure didn't just suddenly start.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
What sort of beings do you talk to, may I ask?

I get curious ;w;
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Depends on what your definition is, I suppose. Mostly what people would classify as 'gods', and random spiritual entities. When there is something occupying a space I can usually make contact with it.
I feel you there, then. I was actually patronized via pendulum. Go figure.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The question is...did they ever happen? Or was it all just someone tripping on some bad weed, all accounts say that bad weed highs are brutal.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Depends on who you ask.

For the believers, yes.

For the non believers, they never happened in the first place.
:iconoprahwinfreyx:
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No, because demons don't exist.
:icondutchconnaisseur:
DutchConnaisseur Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
They never did because demons don't exist.
Now enter my UFO and be ready to be probed.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Daemonic possessions have never happened. 
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Do not worry. Demons can not possess people.

Because demons do not exist.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
It also makes sense why they are smaller scale like in the first post.
In a sense yes, Demon possesion can happen and how they happen there are various qualities. How they did it in biblical proportions, its probably smaller then today, since most of these, would be classified as mental diseases.

There was a sense where you can be possess by multiple demons like the guy name Legion who posses alot pigs and the guy who went crazy, broke chains and big rocks, a thing you can't do as a regular human being.

Apparently you know the movie, the Rite was based on modern exorcism which was based on a book:
The Making of a Modern Exorcist
[link]
[link]

This lady knows about demon possesions.

Although you can't blame all demonic possesion, since there is room for falsifications, still demon possesions can happen.

There are different qualities of who is possessed depending on which sect you beleive in.

Catholic:
External physical pain caused by Satan;
Demonic Possession, in which Satan takes full possession of a person's body without their knowledge or consent: the victim is therefore morally blameless;
Diabolical Oppression, in which there is no loss of consciousness or involuntary action, such as in the biblical Book of Job in which Job was tormented by a series of misfortunes in business, family, and health;
Diabolic Obsession, which includes sudden attacks of irrationally obsessive thoughts, usually culminating in suicidal ideation, and typically influences dreams;
Diabolic infestation, which affects houses, things, or animals; and
Diabolic subjugation, in which a person voluntarily submits to Satan.

Middle ages:
manifestation of superhuman strength;
speaking in tongues or languages that the person cannot know;
the revelation of knowledge, distant or hidden, that the victim cannot know;
blasphemic rage and an aversion to holy symbols or relics

Other qualities:
Has to acknoledge the Lord's authority.
Could also be knowing that the demon dualy lives within him.

Or the greatest thing demons can do, is not to let anyone know they exist. I mean the less they exist the less God or spirits exist?
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
On the one hand, demonic posession is utter horse-shit. On the other, it's entirely possible that there isn't much call for posessers in Hell right now.
:iconiriastar:
Iriastar Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
I don't like to call them demons. That gives them an evil connotation. But yes, of course, possessions by negative beings still happen. Some are voluntary. And some are done by positive beings.

You aren't going to get possessed just because you go against your religion's rules. :lol:
...Unless you believe it.
:la: Hey, look! Someone who wouldn't think I was crazy maybe!

On a more serious note, they don't usually take offense to being called 'demon'. A few certain morons I've met even wear the label proudly.
Iriastar Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I don't think you're crazy. :B

It's not to avoid offending them, but to avoid giving the ignorants a distorted idea of what they are.
Valid point. The word 'demon' was derived from the Greek 'daimones', which referred to good or bad spirits. Perhaps I should start using that term, instead.

And you havn't heard me talk about spirits yet :la:
:eager: Are you going to tell me?
If you reaaaaaaally want me to.
:p I guess you prefer not to do it. I'm not that interested, anyways. :shrug:
I just don't wanna post it in the public forums. I have a reputation to uphold.
(1 Reply)
:iconacjub:
acjub Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What are "negative beings"?
Iriastar Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Beings that prefer to act in a negative way.

In this case, non-physical beings.
And how do you know such being exist?
I believe. I've never meet one, and don't plan on doing it.
How can you believe something that has absolutely no supportive evidence?
The same way you don't believe it. You're talking about evidence as if scientific papers were the only means of having proof in the world.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Papers are only the documentation of proof.
(1 Reply)
Yeah, but you dont have any proof. Or do you?
(1 Reply)
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
Yep. The spiritual realm doesn't change, despite how the physical one progresses, and demons can still possess and/or torment people if allowed by the person in question through lifestyle choices.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Demonic possession has never happened because there is no such thing. You see, ancient people were ignorant of the causes of neurological disorders like epilepsy, and when they witnessed a person having a seizure, they thought they were being possessed by demons. They were wrong, of course, but the idea of "demonic possession" became integrated into the Abrahamic religions, or Christianity at least. The reason it still seems to happen today in people who are not epileptic (see the Pentecostal church, for example) is because of "suggestion." It's like non-alcoholic beer: a classic prank is to give non-alcoholic beer to someone who has never had beer before, but tell them it's regular beer. In time, they will act as though they are intoxicated, even though they couldn't possibly be. Demonic possession works the same way. When these fire and brimstone preachers tell their flock what pieces of human garbage they are, they act as though they are having a seizure/possessed by demons, even though they definitely aren't.

The thing to take away from this is that human foolishness is almost always a better explanation than the supernatural, demonic possession being just one example.
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
They've never happened.
:iconlbthecc:
LBtheCC Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
There are some interesting theories put forth by anthropologists on the subject of demonic possession and exorcism in other cultures, that still practice these rituals. If you want to know more, I'd start here: [link] and here: [link]
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
This implies that it was ever possible.
:iconmr-bananasham:
Mr-bananasham Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
when I was christian I was so afraid of being possessed, now I'm atheist, and I scoff at demons, though my girlfriend is still freaked out by them.
:iconpippintookoftheshire:
PippinTookoftheShire Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Demon possession can't happen by our knowledge because demons are not the kind of thing sane, sober people see every day. Or ever, for that matter.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
The religious would say yes, and would carefully distinguish possession from mental illness. The non-religious would say no, it's all mental illness.
:iconkiwi-punch:
Kiwi-Punch Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I would say it's a mixture of both. You don't need to be of faith to believe in ghosts. I do, and I don't believe in God. Ghosts are one of the mysteries I would love to explain with science, but like in the episode of MLP: FiM where Twilight tried to figure out how Pinkie's tail worked, some things just aren't possible to explain with science and rationale; it just comes down to accepting it works and not sweating the small stuff.
Our person, our existence all depends on our brain. Our brain is millions of electric signals. When we die those signals stop and our brains decay. When we no longer have a brain we are gone. There is no logical way for such a thing as a ghost existing. Ghosts are tricks of the mind played on fear and irrationality.
:iconkiwi-punch:
Kiwi-Punch Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Are you sure? What about those guys who go and hunt ghosts who get tell-tale readings of stranger than normal activity using very accurate measurements?
:iconsoren-kierkegaard:
Soren-Kierkegaard Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
You may be interested in reading "Paranormality" by Richard Wiseman for a psychological explanation of why people believe in/experience ghosts, faith healings, alien abductions, telekinesis etc.

For any study into the "paranormal" you have to be very critical about the methodology - is the research being conducted in a scientific manner, are there proper controls, does the conclusion follow from the data or are people reading meaning from the data that is not there.
There are no such things as measurements for paranormal activity. They come with light spots on photographs and background feed on tape recordings. None of this proves life beyond death.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
But it doesn't work. That's the thing. Not God, and not ghosts.
Add a Comment: