Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 105

Do you have a personal philosophy you live by?

:iconthesurrealisticmind:
thesurrealisticMind Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I'm just curious as to how others choose to live their life. As of now, I try to keep an open mind, so my philosophy on life is constantly changing. At its core though, I try to live a life that allows me to stay true to myself and, well..just live.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconseth2012chaos:
seth2012chaos Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
No specific philosophy, what I think, believe or how I act depends on the situation and subject, I don't think one specific philosophy could be applied to everything by anyone.
:iconpanthera--shadow:
Panthera--Shadow Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
Equivalent Exchange. It's a useful philosophy, and if everyone lived by it, the world would be a better place.
thesurrealisticMind Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
<sigh> we can only hope
:iconpanthera--shadow:
Panthera--Shadow Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
Yeah, well step one would be for people to actually follow it.
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I do Good.

Of course, my personal Good may disagree with some other people's standards of Good, but hey, that's their problem, not mine. (Those are also usually people who I have a problem with, so, yeah. Live and let live.) Either way, I don't let other people influence me and my actions, as long as I toe the line enough to keep out of serious trouble. Heh.
I agree with this as well :)
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yup. After all, it's just impossible to please everyone, so I figured I might as well focus on pleasing just myself. :)
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, dont be a prick and dont worry over stupid crap.People are basically good,the glass is half full and be grateful for what youve got.
Ha, yeah I agree.
:iconaussienerd:
Aussienerd Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
My main philosophy for life is the glass half full thing. You may think I'm some crazy happy person but really I'm not. I just try my hardest to stay optimistic and that has surely gotten me much further than I would have if I were to look at situations normally all the time.

In my opinion, if you behave more optimistically, you will be more likely to keep trying instead of giving up after a failure. You might do more than you expected, even if the effort is not successful, it can be a positive learning experience, suggesting a different way to tackle a similar problem the next time.

Regardless of what you do for work, you should think of the positive outcomes. If your job is scrubbing floors, stand back and admire how shiny and clean they look. Regardless of whether you’re overweight, underweight or average set yourself achievable goals, and don’t be so shallow because not many people want to be around a glass half empty person.

Surround yourself with positive, upbeat people. But be aware that if you are always negative and always see only the dark side of things, the optimists in your life may eventually give up on you. Focus on situations that you can control, and forget those you can’t.

Of course nobody can be happy all the time but you can start by turning all your negative thoughts into positive ones.
Nothing wrong with being positive.
:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I get most of my personal philosophies from Dumbledore. Sometimes Sirius Black too.

- Don't judge others based on how they treat equals, judge them on how they treat inferiors.
- To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
- It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
thesurrealisticMind Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
lol, that's interesting, but good points nonetheless. :)
:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I like to rephrase the idea that "all humans are created equal." I disagree entirely.

If every one of us was created equal, then there wouldn't be rich or poor people, deformed people, or even people with defining traits (you know, all of us.)

I like to rephrase it to say that all humans have equal human potential. While it may require some work, I believe that any human could potentially do what any other human being on the planet can do given enough time. I believe that anyone could've been Einstein or Tesla. We celebrate these people not because their Einstein and Tesla. If we do that, why can't we celebrate me? I'm me! Rather, we celebrate these people because of the amazing things they've achieved, not because they are them. Everyone's somebody.

I also like to say play life to win, but play for fun. Play the game, try, and do what you can, but if you fail, that's okay. As long as you've enjoyed yourself and allowed others to enjoy themselves, then you've lived well.

I believe the goal in one's life should be to realize themselves and become the greatest self they can be, to enjoy themselves, and to help others do those things as well.
:iconpianocanival:
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional General Artist
Yes, finally somebody actually says that. I love what you said here. Totally agree with it :D
:nod: Yeah, I understand what you mean on the whole 'all humans are equal' thing. I think its safe to say some people are born with natural advantages in life, while others aren't (like smarts). But like you said, it's up to the individual to make the best out of what they have been given.
:iconcatching-dreamz:
catching-dreamz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
after struggling with some mental stuff a few years ago, I came across the saying "if today was perfect, there'd be no need for tomorrow"...and I live by that! I'm not a "yolo" or a live for each day type...I like to plan and have a dream I want to achieve... but that's just me! It helps if I get down or don't accomplish something that I wanted to to remember that I have tomoro!
True.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
"Do your best, let God handle the rest."
cool.
:icontake-over-world:
Take-Over-World Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Mines is probably, overall, : 'Whatever will be, will be.'
:iconjimera:
Jimera Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Que Sera, Sera, tz pretty laxed way to look at life :)
:icontake-over-world:
Take-Over-World Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Yeah, it's easier that way, less stressful :)
I like your user..
I also have a friend who's just like that. She always says 'whatever happens, happens'
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
"Enjoy the little things in life"

And

"Try not to be a cunt"

In conjunction they both work surprisingly well.
I like this as well^
:iconlaika-chan:
Laika-chan Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
If there is no afterlife, your life is still worth it. Don't end it prematurely by doing something stupid.

It's sort of like the idea of YOLO, except that it's not an excuse to act like an ass.
I like this^
:iconbitteryetsweet:
bitteryetsweet Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Never confine yourself things that may limit your own faith. There are other philosophies than that I live by. But this is one of many special philosophies, for this not only allows me to expand my faith beyond Science, Religion, and Philosophy, but it also allows me to embrace and accept facts of life without fear.

I believe that one day, there will be a time where death will be knocking at my door. Everyday to me is one life lived. So far, since I was born, I've lived over 6570 lives of which I could have made so much value out of many of them. Unfortunately however, there is none that I consider to be valuable. When days like that come, I'll cherish those days, for they have more value to me than any recorded era in the history of the world. Those days are nothing compared to my own, and I'll share those days to others if necessary in order to provide wisdom as well. "Good days" as we label them, spoil our character. One human flaw I think we have is that we try to remember too much. We need to remember what's really important and significant to us that makes us truly want to remember, so there isn't much value in nostalgia to be honest.
:iconjimera:
Jimera Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
nostalgia is such a wonderful feeling though, reminicing and remebering all the good times.. i think it's valuable to me.
Wow, this is a very interesting point of view! Thanks for sharing.
:iconhorus2299:
Horus2299 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
As far as philosophy goes, I would consider myself a supporter of principled inequality. That is to say, I support a system where inequality prevails, but fairness, justice, and honesty are still valued. This may seem contradictory to a lot of people, but to me we can't all be equal because we're all different and unique with our strengths and weaknesses. Equality is what restrains great individuals and encourages people to be parasites. If you really want to help someone, you don't give things away to them, you teach them how they can help themselves.

People often see human society as a pyramid, with a few individuals at the top, and many at the bottom. Some people say this is fine the way it is, others want to knock down the pyramid so that everyone can be at the bottom. I take the more balanced approach that the pyramid should still exist, but it needs to be radically transformed. Instead of being a solid, unchanging pyramid, it should be a fluid pyramid with people constantly climbing to be on the top. That way the elites don't get too secure in their power, and people with the "strength" for it will be able to climb as high as they can. If you want, you can work with others along the way, but make too many enemies, and they could gang up on you.

The 88 Precepts of David Lane are a close representation of my beliefs, as I found myself agreeing with about 90% of them, but thought the other 10% were too hateful/extreme/etc. In the end, you just have to stay true to yourself, go with what makes the most sense to you, and look for truth in the places where you'd least expect it.
Hmm, this is interesting as well. I agree with what you said at the end about staying true to yourself.
:iconhorus2299:
Horus2299 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Yes, it seems principled inequality is something few can see the virtue of, and fewer still would actually agree with. Even so, life is far more than just a popularity contest. Yeah, it's like that saying about how you should be yourself, because nobody else can do it better than you. You'll never make everyone happy, so you might as well make yourself and the people you like happy. That doesn't mean to be selfish or arrogant, just don't let other people walk all over you.
:iconpippintookoftheshire:
PippinTookoftheShire Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Mine goes a little something like this:
'Produce pleasure preferably to pain. And use a lot of p's while doing it.'
I like this. A nice saying, and somewhat witty.
:iconpippintookoftheshire:
PippinTookoftheShire Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
;-)
:iconfoxbrent:
foxbrent Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
I'm actually not the religious type though I also not an atheist, I just do what is right and learn lessons from life itself.
Makes sense.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
"Take what you can and give nothing back".

Okay, not really, but sometimes. And props if you guys are nerd enough to know that movie.
I had to look it up -__-
:icongreatest-i-am:
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
This is almost universal and is better than what Christianity tries to sell.
Note that what is shows shous morality being centered on others while Christianity and it's commandments center on an invisible imaginary God.

[link]

Regards
DL
thesurrealisticMind Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Thanks. This looks interesting, so I'll check it out.
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I try to follow as many rules from the Bushido, :iconimpossibruplz: mostly from the Hagakure.

it's not like I'm a samurai and walk around with a katana challenging strangers to kendo duels in search for a lord to adopt me, no :D Bushido has many norms and tips on life that are applicable to anyone's life :) and that in fact makes one's life more peaceful and simple.
I find Bushido interesting. I came across it through A Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi :)
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
aahh a classic :') I'm yet to read that one, but eager.
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Pizza is my savory savior. :worship:
I could go for a pizza right now, specifically a sausage, mushroom, pepperoni one. :yum:
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Sausage? That sounds good. :drool:
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013   Digital Artist
My philosophy used to be pure hedonism.
Now it's more of a regulated hedonism.
Add a Comment: