Are you a religious person who ignores science?

I am agnostic before anyone jumps to any conclusions about my beliefs. But I do have a question. Having looked through this forum a little bit I have seen several posts from believers who seem astounded that anyone can be atheist. As though it is absurd that someone doesn't see the "facts" that God exists. Now as I have said before I neither beleive nor disbeleve but I want to know how beleivers feel about things being the other way. For example dinosaurs and evolution and stuff. There seems to be a wealth of tangible evidence that could prove evolution but people seem so hell bent disbelieving. I want to know how any of you beleivers feel about why a lot of science is so absurd and why religion offers a more plausable alternative.

Things like the magnitude and complexity of the universe make me think a higher power must be involved but then the lack of "miracles" and things like that make me question it. Like if all the stuff in the bible is true then how come none of it has happened since?
Comments435
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
"That could prove evolution."

The biggest misconception about evolution is ultimately a purposeful one. From a scientific standpoint, you would have an easier time disproving the theory of relativity and Newton's theory of gravitation.

In fact, if someone tasked me with trying to disprove either newton or Darwin, i would chose newton because at least there is a slight sliver of hope that i may actually find some tangible piece of evidence that opposes it.

Evolutionary biology is infallible.

And nah, i'm a scientist at heart. (And education). Being an atheist just lends merit to my understanding.
I like science too much to ignore it but I only really read general science articles don't like it enough to study it out side of college.
I'm Muslim and science actually plays a very large role in my religion.
Only part of it. As is so common with many religions.
I'm religious, but completely believe science :3
They can go together, and skiff you reelly renounce all science you are doing yourself a disservice.

No one has all the answers, we're on earth to learn and grow, skiff you completely blow out science you aren't learning oar growing very much!

(saury in advance fur the fishy puns...it's a long dory)
sorry for such a long post but its worth the read.

ah the old reason VS. faith. debate. well I can say with some experience with both sides that no. I do not disregard factual science. I actually find it awe inspiring to see all the wonders of our world. However for those who do I can give a little in site to why.

There are people who read the bible in the context of our legalistic mind set of today. the bible is compiled of many books written by different people. and many of those books are associated with different theologies as well (Judaism and Islam)these books are thought to be inspired by god.

And that's where the similarity's end. The language of the bible can be enchanting but at the same time difficult to understand. It takes a lifetime of study, meditation, and prayer to even begin to comprehend its meaning. However there are those who read a single verse of a single book and assume that they understand the context and intent of the words. THIS IS THE MAIN REASON FOR MOST MISUNDERSTANDINGS.

Now evolution comes into play with the script of genesis where it is described how god created the world. Those with the "legalism" mind set think "well if its not in the bible its not true" which is foolish. The bible gives a VERY broad description of creation which is surprisingly similar to the big bang theory and such. IE. let there be light = explosion of gases and energy.

Secondly one must also take the view of evolution from a theological perspective to understand why some people might be offended. even when none was intended. Christians and Jews (not sure about Muslims) believe that god crafted the world to his design in. some think it actually was 6 days some think otherwise. they believe that it was planned. while the theory of evolution is incredibly solid and logical. many non theists state it in a manner that completely disregards any supernatural or intelligent design. and this is what sets off a lot of people.

as we have all heard there is no scientific evidence to prove or disprove theology. and then you have the spaghetti monster joke by anti-theists. to put it simply. whatever happened was over a millennium ago time has passed and the world has changed physically. It is not the job of science to prove or disprove. Nor is it's job to educe social change.

Science is what is known to man by solid facts based on observable evidence.

Science is the how. and for many theology is the why.

:iconstayforbrunch1plz::iconstayforbrunch2plz::iconstayforbrunch3plz::iconstayforbrunch4plz:
:iconstayforbrunch6plz::iconstayforbrunch7plz::iconstayforbrunch8plz::iconstayforbrunch9plz::iconstayforbrunch10plz:
:iconstayforbrunch11plz::iconstayforbrunch12plz::iconstayforbrunch13plz::iconstayforbrunch14plz::iconstayforbrunch15plz:
:iconstayforbrunch16plz::iconstayforbrunch17plz::iconstayforbrunch18plz::iconstayforbrunch19plz::iconstayforbrunch20plz:
:iconemptyspaceplz::iconstayforbrunch22plz::iconstayforbrunch23plz::iconstayforbrunch24plz::iconstayforbrunch25plz:
:iconemptyspaceplz::iconstayforbrunch27plz::iconstayforbrunch28plz::iconstayforbrunch29plz::iconstayforbrunch30plz:

NOW DON'T MAKE APPLE BLOOM SAD. read all the post :iconderpyhoovesplz:
Now evolution comes into play with the script of genesis where it is described how god created the world. Those with the "legalism" mind set think "well if its not in the bible its not true" which is foolish. The bible gives a VERY broad description of creation which is surprisingly similar to the big bang theory and such. IE. let there be light = explosion of gases and energy.

Sorry but Genesis doesn't even come close to what science currently says. I hate the fact that people will dismiss a literal interpretation but still try to claim Genesis is relevant in at least some way. It isn't, it's a complete load of rubbish just like every other creation story written by people who had no understanding whatsoever of the world. I wish "moderates" would simply come out and say that part of their hoyl book is flat-out wrong rather than trying to make excuses for it.
:iconjakethedogplz::iconsaysplz: we all have our own way bro...we all have our own way :iconhugplz:
I'm a rather strict Roman Catholic, but I don't ignore science. I think science and Religion don't need to contradict each other. Or in most cases ayway.
Actually, I'm quite confused. Roman Catholicism is anything but compatible with science (at least that's my opinion). I would love for you to show me in which ways RC is compatible with science.
Well... Eh, let's take as example the creation of the earth; In the bible, God tells Mozes that he needed 6 days to create the world, while science proves that it took millions of years to shape the world as it is now. I interprete the bible not 100% literally here, in as much that for God, a million years could as well be a day. So that could mean that for us, it was millions of years, while for him it was a few days. God isn't bound to time or place anyway, so teaches the Church. Also, science tells us that humans only recently (in these millions years, not recently like a year ago) populate the earth, while God says he created humans after he created all animals.

I also think that the Evolution theory, while not being applicable to humans in my belief (the bible is more clear in that case), could be true for animals.
It's just how you interprete all this, I think. The bible and the chuch' teachings leave plenty of room for interpretation anyway.
Science doesn't, however. According to evidence, humans evolved, with very little doubt about it and no room for 'interpretation'.
Yes, that is one case in which religion and science do contradict. But there are other cases in which it doesn't.
But, uhm, evidence?
Evidence, which science is based on.
Not believing in god, I understand. I'm baffled by people who say the dinosaurs never lived ant the proof is RIGHT THERE!
I'm not religious, but I ignore science anyway. I'm a dreamer and I have my own theories about a lot of things. I don't believe in science unless I've seen or tested things myself.
So essentially you just don`t trust humanity? Why is that?
Long story. Because I'm a troubled kid.
Nothing X-filesy I hope?
So what do you think the Sun is? A massive ligh bulb? You've seen light bulbs and you have a rough idea of how they work yet when have you ever seen something you can confirm is a nuclear fusion reaction? How about germs? Electricity?
It could be a huge lightbulb indeed, only i wonder whatkind of batteries it runs on.
Not sure if troll or very stupid...
So you don't vaccinate yourself until you've gotten a degree in immunology?

I could go on forever with examples on how this kind of "I don't believe in science unless I've made the experiment" is bull, we all use and trust scientific principles and discoveries daily that most don't know how they work and certainly have not tested themselves.

Ignore science because you're "a dreamer", why in the world would this be necessary? Some of the best and brightest in science have definitely been dreamers, there's a difference between that and being ignorant, which is what ignoring science is.