Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 446

Darwinian Evolution?

:iconrionx:
RiONX Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
i just had a couple of quick questions, do modern scientist still use the Darwinian model of evolution? if so is it in exactly the same form as originally postulated? or has it um... evolved based on scientific data that has been gathered since its' inception? Also do only atheist believe in evolution?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkingvego:
KingVego Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well yes and no. Darwin had some good concepts and ideas but at the time (before fossil and DNA evidence) he was ridiculed for his books "The Origin of Species" and the "Descent of Man". But after the fossil record become more and more complete and comprehensive along with DNA and geological evidence made Darwin's ideas irrefutable. And even thou we know much more then Darwin could have ever imagined and even added to the theory with things like DNA drifting and so on. But the fact that someone over 150 years ago not just thought about this but also had evidence to prove it is extraordinary.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Only opposing theory [link]
:iconchakatblackstar:
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
The theory of evolution is modified as new evidence appears. For instance, the original theory stated that it was a gradual change at a consistent rate, but nowadays the evidence suggests that it happens in bursts and spurts, usually from something significant such as an environmental change or a new predator, followed by long periods of mere micro-evolution(i.e. adapting to new diseases, etc.).

And no, atheists aren't the only ones who believe in evolution. I remember one stat that claimed 47% of Muslims believed in evolution. There are also Christians who find that evolution and the bible aren't incompatible. And I'm sure there are many other religions that don't dismiss it outright either.
:iconrhichter:
Rhichter Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
" I remember one stat that claimed 47% of Muslims believed in evolution "

I'm afraid you're going to have to provide evidence for that because i would have a hard time believing that any more than 30% of Muslims even knew what evolution was.
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
That's probably because you're thinking middle-eastern fundamentalist Muslims while forgetting that there are other Muslim countries and other countries, such as the US, the UK, France, etc. where they live, and apparently a significant number of them are okay with evolution being the most likely explanation for changing species.
:iconrhichter:
Rhichter Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
A significant majority of them are religious, and their religion isn't exactly the most tolerant of the scientific method if you catch that drift. So by extension, the majority oppose evolution as an observation of speciation.

They're on par with America in terms of the rejection of natural selection being taught in schools and accepted as factual by the scientific community.

They're not in any way pro-evolution, don't think otherwise.
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
As Dr Khalid Anees of the Islamic Society of Britain put it: "Muslims interpret the world through both the Koran and what is tangible and seen. There is no contradiction between what is revealed in the Koran and natural selection and survival of the fittest."

Evolutionary biology is included in the high-school curricula of most Muslim countries. Science foundations of 14 Muslim countries, including Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Indonesia, and Egypt, recently signed a statement by the Interacademy Panel (IAP, a global network of science academies), in support of the teaching of evolution, including human evolution. Granted many of the average folks still don't believe in Macroevolution, especially when it comes to human evolution, they're still much more accepting of microevolution, especially compared to...certain other religious groups who flat out deny any and all evolution whatsoever.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
That's like saying that you accept Newton's theory of Universal gravitation, but only the bit about gravity causing things to fall, not the bit about orbits. It misses the key part of the theory, which is that the two apparent phenomena are really one.
ChakatBlackstar Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
I didn't say it wasn't stupid.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Sorry, I was using the generic "you". I suppose "That's like saying that one accepts..." would have been more correct and less ambiguous, but it also sounds a bit supercilious.
Add a Comment: