Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 111
:iconohno-moment:
Ohno-moment Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
So, what is moral authority? Are we not individually responsible for the setting our moral compass, or must we look to others?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaellawalker:
AellaWalker Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Morality develops in social creatures. When we need each other, we come to the understanding that we shouldn't do wrong to others and in exchange they will not do wrong to us.
:iconhelge129:
Helge129 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I see morality as society's way of controlling its members, and so, I don't follow morality. I follow basic human decency - treat others as you wish to be treated.
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Morals are a result of social interation between humans, which became much more complex around the time of the agricultural revolution. Humans became a stable species and could follow morals that wasn't directly a result of a need for survival, but for cooperation and unity.

As for morals today, I take secular morals over divine any day. Secular morality gives more equality and it doesn't discriminate against people who hold to another god than you, like so many "moral laws" handed down from gods have shown to do in human history. Even the Ten Commandmends are guilty of this, because they forbid other religions already in the first one listed. Make those law and you have a theocracy right away.

Where should we get our morals from? From a free marketplace of ideas, where everything can be scrutinized and questioned. If it is a good moral to have, like don't kill another human(with a few exceptions, like in self defense), it should, and in the case of my example have, easily stands the test if scrutiny.
Ohno-moment Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Thank you. A thoughtful reply
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
No problem, that is what I am here for.
:iconvaladix:
Valadix Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
My cat eats cat food
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
One thing is for sure, you cannot allow society be the moral authority, democracy does not make good moral choices.
Ohno-moment Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I am with you on that. I don't think any organized society makes moral choices, they just make laws
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Theyre too easily swayed, whats popular today will be unpopular tomorrow.
If you have the means they can be persuaded into believing anything,
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'll tell you what it is: a waste of time and brain-power. Why bother considering others when you can do as I do, and make all your decisions through the lens of personal gain? If an action is overall beneficial to you, you should not hesitate to do it. If that same action is harmful to someone else, why care? It shouldn't affect you at all. Making decisions with only economic considerations is a much more efficient way to secure personal gain.
Add a Comment: