Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 209

If you could create your own religion...

:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
... what would it be about?
Would it have gods, one god, no gods, or some other focus of worship? What kind of laws would it have? What about the mythology behind it, or any kind of afterlife?
Discuss!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmcdenis09:
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Balloonism, we would worship the MIGHTY BALLOON. And our religious leaders would wear balloon hats.
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
AND THEN EVERYONE LIVES IN BLIMPS AND HOT AIR BALLOONS! :dummy:
:iconbluefire-the-dragon:
Bluefire-the-Dragon Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
They can believe in whatever they want, just so long as they are kind to others.
That's basically how I feel about religion :P
:iconpindanglicious:
pindanglicious Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
no i won't. i can't do anything without God. God is different with human.
Well, you don't HAVE to answer the thread if you don't want.
:iconbrainninja11:
brainninja11 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Student General Artist
I would have a god that doesn't care about whether people have unshakable faith in them, but rather oversaw that people had food, shelter, and basic care. No worship is required. Instead of mindless worship, people spend their time trying to learn and make society better. As far as mythology, I like the idea that Satan has been a misrepresented character. That he was condemned for enlightening humanity, and this is wrong. So maybe the god is Lucifer, who regained his glory and took over heaven. After death, people must understand the wrongs they have done. Once they do and are forgiven by those they have wronged, they go to heaven, which is a state of peace and tranquility of the soul. They can relive moments of their life, or converse with other souls in harmony (or angrily if they prefer). Those left unforgiven by those they wronged are stuck on Earth as ghosts, and must help people until they have done enough good.

Either that, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster shooting people with lasers. That sounds pretty cool too.
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Interesting concept. I can relate on the bit of Satan and such - I mean how essentially, humanity gains knowledge and this is seen as a BAD thing. Sure, knowledge has it's disadvantages, but people shouldn't be punished for it! It's almost like Christianity at times suggests we should be eternally like children in every way, including complete dependency and all that.
I believe enlightenment should be considered a blessing if anything.
:iconbrainninja11:
brainninja11 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Student General Artist
Ignorance may be bliss, but I want no part of it.
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Exactly!
:iconazza9:
Azza9 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
I'd take Christian values and give them a total and utter overhaul for the 21st century.

I'd fix up the 10 commandments to bring them up to modern code and I would totally excise all of the irrelevant and possibly bigoted ideals/ rules.

I mean, I'm not theist but I must say for all it's massive amounts of flaws and fiction the bible does have some intact peanuts hidden in that turd.

Essentially you would be left with the 10 commandments and a few lessons on equality (that wont be contradicted by the discriminatory stuff)... Your good ol' King James version would be reduced to a pamphlet sized text. But it would be 1000% better.

Imagine if you could follow the ten commandments but not be compelled to discriminate against anyone that isn't a straight white male(the bible says that right lol
?)...
:icontobeproduced:
tobeproduced Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
dont forget your story needs to be air tight
Azza9 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
Huh really? Name one religion wiht an "air tight" "story", lol!
ive tried to poke holes into the bible many times and i have dad something thrown back each time (even if it was a shit comeback)
Azza9 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
Did he throw the actual bible at you? Isn't that how Christians deal with heretics?
thats only happed once at school
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know right XD Among all things, I am a Deist converted from Christianity, but there are some good things the Bible teaches. It's just that with everything else involved, I was hesitant at best to take the bible as a whole.
Azza9 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
the Catholics 7 virtues/ sins are relevant too.

Fairytale scripture aside there is some gold in the old bible.

I mean what reasonable person can say not killing each other is a bad thing? Treating others as you'd want to be treated.

You know what the bible sounds like to me; It sounds like a wise benevolent person is taking turns with an overzealous psychotic in the writing of the book...
Yeah, I can understand that, though most religions tend to have a rule against killing and such XD

LOL, I can kinda see that honestly, considering the bible was written by many people, some even unknown, who knows what people could have been in the works on that >.>
:iconancaxbre:
AncaXBre Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'd say we evolved from beer bottles thrown on Earth from a divine banquet or something and we should show our devotion to those kind and merry beings by taking their example and enjoying life.
Sentient beer bottles.... there are so many ways that could go wrong XDDDDD
:iconm-g-studio:
M-G-Studio Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I wouldn't create a religion. If I can honestly do one thing in order for people to follow me in some way, it's to tell everyone to truly research all religions and come to their own conclusions without needing to categorize themselves as being part of something. Faith is a personal thing and no 2 people believe in the same things, whether they are in the same religion or not. So I do believe that religions should fall and if anything, people should get into Spirituality, as it isn't a religion but a way of life. Much more peaceful and healthy for the mind, body and environment.
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist
Anything, that has nothing to do or contrary to the "Word of God of the Bible" - Are, man made religion, which is the synagogue of Satan.
:iconoprahwinfreyx:
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
[link] <----- this
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That is very strange XD
:iconoprahwinfreyx:
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you.
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
I already created a religion during a debate with a Christian on these forums to illustrate why I do not simply believe everything he says just because he quotes the Bible.

The Religion is about a magical unicorn named Steve who lives on the moon. Steve is both invisible and intangible but I know that he is real because I can communicate with him telepathically. Steve created the planet Earth and all of the living things on it. Once, a monster called the Cosmic Chicken tired to destroy the world but Steve fought it off in an epic battle which cost him his wings. Unfortunately, the dinosaurs were wiped out in the battle. Steve tells me that people who are jealous of his power and who hate unicorns will worship false Gods made in their own human image. This saddens Steve because the Cosmic Chicken is attracted to the darkness in their hearts and Steve does not have the strength to fight it off again. Our love for Steve is the only thing that is keeping the Cosmic Chicken at bay. But those who worship their false human Gods are so full of hated and jealousy that they would rather see the world destroyed than admit that they love Steve.

And then asked the Christian what his evidence was for anti-Steve-ism.
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hehehe that sounds cute >w< On the more serious end though, it does seem rather like some Christians to go and try to say their religion is the one true one and try to use the Bible as proof, but the religion is all about faith, you can't say for fact it's true just like you can't say for fact God even exists, that's why there is an emphasis on BELIEF.
:iconmaliciousbunny:
MaliciousBunny Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Student General Artist
I thought up an interesting story, its not really very serious as to being an actual religion, but I enjoy mythological stories and the way they believe in the earths beginning.

There once was two beings, a God and a Goddess. She was The Goddess of Color, her body made of many separate colors, all moving together to create one after another, she moves like smoke, blending with the lights and dark's of the colors of her body, she would dance and create beautiful colors and combinations, but they would never stay, only fade away for they had nothing to hold them in place.

He was the God of Substance, he is physical matter, while he can feel the world around him, it is bland to his eyes, he feels no excitement, or sadness or joy, he forms amazing creations, but no matter how fantastical he could make them, their blandness brought no happiness to his eyes.

The God found the Goddess one day and fell in love with her, all the separate colors that she made, with her he could truly feel the emotions that he was never able to feel before. The Goddess fell in love with the god, truly in wonder of his ability to feel the world around him, to know what it is like to be a physical being, to create such structures and fantastical creations that did not fade.

They fell in love and spent their days together and one day, the God and the Goddess faced their fears and reached for one another, they kissed, and in that moment, with the grand spark of their love, they formed the Earth and everything in it. They live together to this day as the Earth and the energy that moves it, continuing to create and to form, to improve on their creation together, truly feeling for one another as they had never felt before.

Well that was fun to think up.
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That sounds pretty awesome, like a kind of artist's religion >w<
:icontachcavalier:
TachCavalieR Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Lol i don' think that this world could survive another religion :D
Ultimately the all say the same thing "gods are above humans and ever-ready to help us/he know everything" but still ppl pray and do weird stuff so that god listens to them.
and In the end religion all comes down to "society" which itself keep on changing.
so..if i had to create a religion then it would have just one line "Nothing is True" :)
New religions are probably made every day, it's just that most aren't really known of widely.
TachCavalieR Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ya...its a scary idea though :(
Especially since the ones we hear about that aren't major ones are the strange cultish ones >.> Then again, some seem to cross into both lines as well...
TachCavalieR Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ya :D
but then again all real religions have a great past to back em up :)
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'd start a religion about me and how I was a god, and how any woman who had sex with me was a goddess.
But since gods have no need for reproductive organs, how would sex even be possible? >:3
:iconsecretlyclever:
SecretlyClever Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013
I have a dream. A dream of a religion where people are treated equally. A religion where different opinions are not shunned or capable of igniting an argument but instead are accepted, even if you don't agree. A religion where people don't use their beliefs as an excuse to do or say as they please, not used as a weapon against people for their own benefit, twisting words and scriptures to confirm their lies or support their hate for a group or idea. A religion where different beliefs, sexualities, genders, races, or anything else is nothing of importance but a past thought that has died off. A religion where there are no rituals, requirements, or suffering of happiness that you must complete in order to be perfectly sound and righteous in the eyes of others. Where such things as stealing and killing no longer exist because there is no need for such actions. Simply a religion where everything is settled peacefully and everyone can be happy and learn how not to compete but to support each other throughtout life.

This is my ideal religion.

Also one that gifts a Corgi to every household. Because everyone fucking needs one. >:'I *rolls off into the sunset*
Sounds good >w< If only more religions would strive for true equality...

(And I wish I could keep pets, but I live in a dorm room :c)
:iconsecretlyclever:
SecretlyClever Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013
Yeah lol That's why I consider myself pretty independent religion wise. Just strive to be a good person and hope in the end it was all worth it :]
And I know the feeling. I live in a small apartment where pets aren't allowed :C lol
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
It would be one that allowed me to throw water balloons on people that annoys me. Because my God demands it to be done. Anyone who annoys the followers of the Holy One must pay the price in water balloons, or the Holy One will send the offender to Hell. So, really, I'd be throwing water balloons at them for their own sake!

Oh, and Christians coming to my door would also need a water balloon redemption. I mean, they use the same argument, really, so they'd just have that one coming.
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Pffff XD
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013
They'd totally have it coming. And IF I am going to be a religious fanatic, I might as well do it properly and be super annoying. Yolo!
:iconfoxelbox:
Foxelbox Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'm not too big on turning my view of the world and the powers behind it into a religion, but here goes.

My religion would be completely based on karma as the main power behind the wheels and the cogs of the world. There would either be no god or the world itself would be a god, regulating the flow of karma (kind of a pantheistic view). The basic concept of karma is just a Google-search away, but my view of it is simply: "You gain karma with good actions and you lose karma with evil or bad actions. Your "karma level" affects the seemingly random events around you in a good or a bad way."

My karma works on two levels, the way other people see your karma level (public karma), and how the world sees your karma level (private karma). In the grand scheme of things, the first karma is irrelevant, as you can hide your bad actions quite easily from the public eye and make your good actions public. The first karma is the deceptive one, the fake one that you should learn to see behind. The second type of karma is the main thing by which your surroundings actually respond to you. If your life depends on the first, public karma, and you have ulterior motives behind gathering good public karma, your seemingly good actions will be judged as bad. For example, say a news reporter is seen as a good person because he publicly donates to charities and does other kinds of genuinely good deeds. He however thinks that this good publicity raises him up to a trusted position, where he can manipulate people into his own will, no matter how bad it actually is. This causes him to think about this ulterior motive every time he does a good deed, thus rendering the actual deed worthless as to his private karma.

As for an afterlife, there is one. When you die, you leave your body as a soul. At this point you are free to roam the universe for as long as you would like. You have two options at this point: continue exploring the universe or reincarnate as any creature in the developing stages (not born yet). You have an incentive to reincarnate though, as there is no interaction between souls and your mind is reset in the reincarnation process. So yes, you could learn everything in the world, but what would you do with it? You could get satisfaction and joy from watching people do whatever floats your boat, but after time you get numb towards that feeling. After death, your karma is reset, as punishment would be pretty useless in the afterlife if you can just cancel it by reincarnating.

Wow, that's a wall of text. I guess I had a lot to say after all. :blushes:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sounds pretty cool >w< The afterlife idea sounds pretty cool! Especially being able to have the choice of living again or exploring the universe as a spirit. I'd probably become a spirit just to look for aliens for eternity :3
:iconnickkartha:
NickKartha Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
I'd call it "The YOLOgion"
Well, I'd base it on Ethics. Like all other religions, it'll be a guide on how to live life but there wouldn't be any rituals or anything.
Each and everyday would be something to celebrate and the official headgear (which is ofcourse optional) would be saucepan or a pot.
The god would be yourself because humans from the future created the universe and our religious text would be all the encyclopedia on earth.
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sounds funny XD Even if I don't like the sound of "YOLO" >.>
NickKartha Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
How about "So long and thanks for all the fish" as a name?
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
HEHEHEEH XD That movie was great :lol:
NickKartha Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
I know... I've singing that song everyday for the past 6 years
Add a Comment: