Should Homophobia Exist In This Day and Age?

After reading many topics on this forum I have noticed that a lot of people use their religion as an excuse to hate or convey a strong hatred of homosexual people. To me, homophobia is utterly disgraceful and you'd think, that in the advanced world we live in today you'd just be able to accept everyone for who they are but of course, there are still a select few bastards...

If you are against the idea of homosexuality then that is your opinion and I shall respect that. But when you start to rant on about how gay people are going to spend eternity in hell and that their existence is a sin and all that rubbish, that's when you are crossing the line of having an opinion, and being an asshole.

I'd love opinions but please be respectful and keep flamewars to a minimum...
Comments162
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
anthropologically, there is no reason for homophobia in the first place. Gay men remove themselves from the mating pool, leaving a wider variety of mates for straight men. If you look at it from a strictly scientific point of view, there has never been a cause for homophobia. Religion is the only cause of homophobia. Proof of this is found in ancient Rome. Before the Catholic Church showed up and wiped out pagan religions, the romans held a very liberal view on sex and sexuality. After the church took over...well...

So no, homophobia has no place in society, it never has. Another question is, in our ever evolving, scientifically intellectual society, does religion have a place?
My philosophy on this is "love the sinner, hate the sin." I do not hate gay people or anything like that, though I believe it is wrong. I understand that it is usually a chemical imbalance/brain problem, and they can't help it.
Should gays exist in this day and age.
Of course we should - who the hell do you think is going to around to be FABULOUS.
Surely not straight people.
I am straight. But I dont mind to be around with them. It is their own personal live and as long they happy with that, so do I.
As long as they are not harming anyone then who cares what they get up to. What about Jesus. I wonder if he was gay, what with going around with all those other men. Not being married or having a long term girlfriend. That's why they have a go at gay people. They can't bear to think that the saviour might have been one of the OTHERS!
Man is not a man unless he is a good man. Homophobia is for assholes.
Whether or not anyone likes them, doesn't matter. It's the person's biology that determines what sexuality they are.

If that weren't the case, I would still love to have Homosexuality exist because you gain open-mindedness. You have another perspective to learn from. So, it teaches you interesting things.
Nope, but it still does because people are stupid
Homophobia should not exist. So should not stupidity (well, homophobia is extreme, pretty much terminal case of stupidity, but I digress), yet it exists.
Sad thing but society has no balls (and I means BALLS) to shun stupidity and make stupid people in general responsible for their actions.
Why, I have no idea, but I know it would solve the problem, because there are two general forms of stupidity.
1. From lack of knowledge that can me cured by education, simple as that - showing people why they acted stupid and how to fix that.
2. Stupidity from choice and ignorance - this is terminal case, and if shun at least it would not have voice and die out eventually - it would take a while though, stupidity tends to be persistent disease.
It particularly persists because of religion. This is due to the fact that in order to believe the ridiculous clas of any particular faith is the suspension of critical thinking and the ignorance of any evidence to the contrary of religious beliefs.
This is apparent in statements that one should not question their beliefs or that one should not test their God(s).
Partly because of religion, gah, do I even have to correct this?
If you look it up damn near every hate group is religiously motivated. Another part is that we are instictially warry of other humans especially those who are not familiar. This of course is part of our tribalistic nature. Religion particularly the Abrahamic ones emphasize this as between the saved and the damned.
Already did, seem like everything has to do with intelligence and people's instinct to be wary of other humans especially when not familiar. Asides, religious cultures would be a more preferable as your usage of religion seems to imply a magical force that changes people when the real source of the problems is the people themselves.
It s not that it changes people (sometimes it does after all peer pressure is a major factor) but it attracts people who are more susceptable to suggestion and prejudices.
Amen to that, friend.
Homophobia exists because of what Carlin says of education.

[link]

More directly to your question though.

"Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God,
holds other people in contempt.
Whenever a man believes that he has the exact truth from God,
there is in that man no spirit of compromise.
He has not the modesty born of the imperfections of human nature;
he has the arrogance of theological certainty and the tyranny born of ignorant assurance.
Believing himself to be the slave of God,
he imitates his master,
and of all tyrants,
the worst is a slave in power."
--Robert Ingersoll

Regards
DL
I blush. Thanks.

Regards
DL
I absolutely adore that quote.
It is to the point for sure.

Regards
DL
On what moral authority do you support your belief that homophobia is bad?

Is it from a moral authority greater than God?
Most people are greater moral authorities than your god.