Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 161

Should Homophobia Exist In This Day and Age?

:iconiheartkimpine:
iheartkimpine Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
After reading many topics on this forum I have noticed that a lot of people use their religion as an excuse to hate or convey a strong hatred of homosexual people. To me, homophobia is utterly disgraceful and you'd think, that in the advanced world we live in today you'd just be able to accept everyone for who they are but of course, there are still a select few bastards...

If you are against the idea of homosexuality then that is your opinion and I shall respect that. But when you start to rant on about how gay people are going to spend eternity in hell and that their existence is a sin and all that rubbish, that's when you are crossing the line of having an opinion, and being an asshole.

I'd love opinions but please be respectful and keep flamewars to a minimum...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconelidy:
Elidy Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
anthropologically, there is no reason for homophobia in the first place. Gay men remove themselves from the mating pool, leaving a wider variety of mates for straight men. If you look at it from a strictly scientific point of view, there has never been a cause for homophobia. Religion is the only cause of homophobia. Proof of this is found in ancient Rome. Before the Catholic Church showed up and wiped out pagan religions, the romans held a very liberal view on sex and sexuality. After the church took over...well...

So no, homophobia has no place in society, it never has. Another question is, in our ever evolving, scientifically intellectual society, does religion have a place?
:iconpanthera--shadow:
Panthera--Shadow Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
My philosophy on this is "love the sinner, hate the sin." I do not hate gay people or anything like that, though I believe it is wrong. I understand that it is usually a chemical imbalance/brain problem, and they can't help it.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Should gays exist in this day and age.
:iconandshedreamed:
andshedreamed Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Photographer
Of course we should - who the hell do you think is going to around to be FABULOUS.
Surely not straight people.
:iconnercytf:
Nercytf Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I am straight. But I dont mind to be around with them. It is their own personal live and as long they happy with that, so do I.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
As long as they are not harming anyone then who cares what they get up to. What about Jesus. I wonder if he was gay, what with going around with all those other men. Not being married or having a long term girlfriend. That's why they have a go at gay people. They can't bear to think that the saviour might have been one of the OTHERS!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Man is not a man unless he is a good man. Homophobia is for assholes.
:iconx666nightmare666x:
x666NiGhTmArE666x Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Whether or not anyone likes them, doesn't matter. It's the person's biology that determines what sexuality they are.

If that weren't the case, I would still love to have Homosexuality exist because you gain open-mindedness. You have another perspective to learn from. So, it teaches you interesting things.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Nope, but it still does because people are stupid
:iconhideshisface:
HidesHisFace Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Homophobia should not exist. So should not stupidity (well, homophobia is extreme, pretty much terminal case of stupidity, but I digress), yet it exists.
Sad thing but society has no balls (and I means BALLS) to shun stupidity and make stupid people in general responsible for their actions.
Why, I have no idea, but I know it would solve the problem, because there are two general forms of stupidity.
1. From lack of knowledge that can me cured by education, simple as that - showing people why they acted stupid and how to fix that.
2. Stupidity from choice and ignorance - this is terminal case, and if shun at least it would not have voice and die out eventually - it would take a while though, stupidity tends to be persistent disease.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
It particularly persists because of religion. This is due to the fact that in order to believe the ridiculous clas of any particular faith is the suspension of critical thinking and the ignorance of any evidence to the contrary of religious beliefs.
This is apparent in statements that one should not question their beliefs or that one should not test their God(s).
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student General Artist
Partly because of religion, gah, do I even have to correct this?
If you look it up damn near every hate group is religiously motivated. Another part is that we are instictially warry of other humans especially those who are not familiar. This of course is part of our tribalistic nature. Religion particularly the Abrahamic ones emphasize this as between the saved and the damned.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student General Artist
Already did, seem like everything has to do with intelligence and people's instinct to be wary of other humans especially when not familiar. Asides, religious cultures would be a more preferable as your usage of religion seems to imply a magical force that changes people when the real source of the problems is the people themselves.
It s not that it changes people (sometimes it does after all peer pressure is a major factor) but it attracts people who are more susceptable to suggestion and prejudices.
:iconhideshisface:
HidesHisFace Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Amen to that, friend.
:icongreatest-i-am:
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Homophobia exists because of what Carlin says of education.

[link]

More directly to your question though.

"Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God,
holds other people in contempt.
Whenever a man believes that he has the exact truth from God,
there is in that man no spirit of compromise.
He has not the modesty born of the imperfections of human nature;
he has the arrogance of theological certainty and the tyranny born of ignorant assurance.
Believing himself to be the slave of God,
he imitates his master,
and of all tyrants,
the worst is a slave in power."
--Robert Ingersoll

Regards
DL
Saeter Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Bravo :clap:
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
I blush. Thanks.

Regards
DL
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
I absolutely adore that quote.
Greatest-I-am Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
It is to the point for sure.

Regards
DL
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
On what moral authority do you support your belief that homophobia is bad?

Is it from a moral authority greater than God?
:icontimlavey:
TimLavey Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Most people are greater moral authorities than your god.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
For instance?
:icontimlavey:
TimLavey Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Me for example and probably even you.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
nah
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
It's your opinion that God is the greatest moral authority. Nothing more than your personal opinion. 
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Its probably Gods too.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
So your life is based upon the personal opinions of an imaginary tyrant.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
My life isnt based around any imaginary tyrant.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
What is it based around then?
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Family, friends, community and God, nothing imaginary or tyrannical there.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
In your personal opinion, maybe.
(1 Reply)
:iconequiliari:
Equiliari Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Yes... Mine.
Surely its obvious i know everything.
Didj Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
God-complex: an unshakable belief characterized by consistently inflated feelings of personal ability, privilege, or infallibility. A person with a god complex may refuse to admit the possibility of error or failure, even in the face of complex or intractable problems or difficult or impossible tasks, or may regard personal opinions as unquestionably correct.

Example: macker33.
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist
"Because, God is perfect and everything He does is perfect."
So, are you worshiping macker33 as God now?
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist
Makes Earth. Places Adam (and Eve) in the Garden of Eden. Commands them not to eat from the overly accessible tree of knowledge (why did he even make it?). Has a serpent there to convince them to do so. They do so. He gets mad anyway. Condemns the rest of humanity for an event that occurred because of his own dumb ass, and then has his son (himself) nailed to a cross as a "sacrifice", and then expects us to worship him on that basis alone.

... perfect. Sure.
Don't forget- exterminates every living creature on the face of the planet in a global flood save for 2 of every animal and a small family of 8 people. Just so that the human race could be repopulated exclusively with people who worship him. Not too long after that, the polytheistic Egyptian culture rises into power and enslaves God's followers. Clearly God's perfect plan of mass genocide worked out perfectly.
Cool, i always wanted a complex.
Didj Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Oh please. If anyone actually got their moral authority from the Bible, we'd all be bludgeoning people to death in the street with rocks under the suspicion of witchcraft.
macker33 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
You really do only believe what you want to believe, you should try coming back to the real world.
Didj Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I can easily prove that you don't get your morality exclusively from the Bible with the following questions. How do you know that pedophilia is wrong? And how do you know that slavery is wrong? Given that the Bible says nothing concerning pedophilia, and it actually endorses slavery.
I know i dont get my morals exclusively from the bible.

The bible doesnt endorse slavery, it recognizes its existence and sets forth guidelines.
Didj Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
So when God freed the Jews from the slavery of the Egyptians, instead of telling them that slavery is immoral (which I think that all of them would agree on given that they were recently freed from slavery themselves) he tells them how to go about enslaving people including but not limited to: selling your daughter into slavery and how to beat your slave to death without getting in trouble. So, as a high and mighty Shepard and moral authority of the Bible who should never have to explain his actions to a non-believer, why would you adhere to the heathenistic moral laws of a secular society that are so inferior to the moral laws of the Bible? And if not slavery, then which of the secular moral laws do you refuse to follow because they contradict the superior laws of the Bible?
I've already been over the slavery thing about a hundred times.
And I'm sure that if you lived in a time before slavery was made illegal, you'd be using the Bible to justify it. Just like you're doing now with discrimination against homosexuals. Okay, if you're going to cop out of slavery, what about woman's rights and gender equality? You must really hate that. After all, the Bible is just filled with misogyny. Mostly as punishment for Eve being tricked by the serpent.

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:22-24)

Here's one directly from God himself
"To the woman he said, “I will make your pains in childbearing very severe; with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.”" (Genesis 3:16)

And those are just a few examples. You must really hate to see women teaching classes, holding positions of authority, being equal partners in marriage. Disobeying the law of the Bible like that.
(2 Replies)
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
God/Jesus never said that homophobia was bad. If God exists, then why would he create homosexuals if he thought they were bad?

And the quote "Thou shall not lay with a man as thou would with a woman... etc." was from the Book of Leviticus, not God.
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist
God did not create homosexuals, it was a "man made", creation. That's why God warns them not to lay with "mankind or womankind." And, did the same warning for "adam and eve" not to eat the forbiden tree." "It was bad, if you do."
Add a Comment: