Why is killing wrong?

I'm asking this in a non-religious way, though you may answer it according to your beliefs. So, why is killing another human wrong?
Comments70
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The act of killing is the act of depriving someone of their life. I know there are controversies about the point that someone is alive, but for all intended purposes will side with the type of killing after someone is born. Killing someone is only ok in my opinion (Because I can only state opinion for this section) is if it is in self defence where you feel your own life is in danger of being deprived, or if you are a soldier in combat whose obligation is to be prepared to kill if need be. Which is pretty much the same as the first reason, but with more reason behind it.
do you want to be killed? if not, then don't kill other people/living beings.
It is only "wrong" because we are social animals. It is not beneficial for a society to kill its own (there are exceptions, of course). We do not want to be killed, so we get together with people who agree not to kill us in exchange for the same courtesy. As far as I can see, all human "morals" come from us being social creatures.
Because it is:

a: an injurious, unfair, or unjust act : action or conduct inflicting harm without due provocation or just cause

b: a violation or invasion of the legal rights of another

(Merriam Webster definition of wrong)

It's important to note that 'wrong' is a human word, and is therefore subject to our bias and perspective. If you ask the question, 'Why is killing bad for individuals and society,' the answer is extremely easy to come up with.
It is not wrong. And it's quite a fun activity to do... not to mention humies are breeding like rats now days... just saying.
What is "wrong"?
If i stabbed you in the face and you bled to death would that be a good thing for you or a bad thing?
Why, you ask? Why is killing another human considered a horrific thing? Something to be frowned upon? The answer is simple.

We are each given our own life. Our own life to do with as we choose. Identifying yourself as a person with the right to take someone's life away from them is not right.

Now, I sense that many people are already mustering within their own minds: "Who does this person think she is? Deciding and confirming that killing is wrong. How does she know that her answer is the 'right' answer out of the thousands of people who have answered?"

I cannot confirm, as it would not be fair or just, that my particular feelings and/or answer to this person's question is the "right" belief. However, my personal common sense and morals tell me that letting yourself be the person to decide whether someone else lives or dies is essentially wrong. I am a believer in free will and the right that we are given as human beings to make our own choices, especially when the matter is life or death. Who are you to decide whether another person, whom you only know by their outward appearances and tendencies and the few personal things they may have chosen to share with you, should continue on living or die? With my collective experience and knowledge, I have a firm and unwavering belief that people must and should always be able to choose whether or not to continue on living for themselves.

Another person's life is not something that you get to decide.
Think about it. When you kill someone, who did you kill? You killed someone's father, someone's mother, someone's lover, someone's sister, someone's brother, someone's most treasured companion. You are taking the life of someone who means the world to someone else. What did they do to you?
Not only did you kill someone, but even a few more lives. The future of that person, whether it be to have many children or not, will never happen. Think about all you have done in that context if not religiously
It isn't, infact we can't get enough of it. That's why we invented wars.
not technically wrong in a morally subjective sense... however! it is dangerous to the structural integrity of a working social environment. you cant very well go for a walk in the park with the worries that someones going to shoot you in the back, now can you?
It's not the right thing to do because everyone is given a built-in sense of morality and deep down you know it's wrong.
Everyone alive is alive because they are on a personal journey to self discovery and happiness, even if I think they are going about it in a crazy or stupid way. How is it my right to snuff out someone else's life? We are all just working toward the same goal, seems pretty useless to me. Unless they are trying to kill me or my family, of course... then it's go time.
Something that makes others hurt is wrong.
wouldn't you mind if someone wanted to kill you?
I would definitely mind if someone wanted to kill me, doesn't make it wrong; unless I decide it's wrong.
If you don't want, then you consider it wrong.

'An evil is always an evil for the one hurt by it'
Right or wrong is a human thing which isn't even natural. That's also quite questionable, something is right according to one religion or one man, and the very same thing might be wrong in the eyes of another. Animals for example kill to survive with no any hard feelings. People kill for revenge, they kill in the name of "peace" and things like that.

If there were no wars and no weak people to die, there would be like 30 billion people and no place to breathe on the earth.
Because you are taking away someone's life and nobody but nature and time has the right to do so.
Most people don't want to get killed. That's why we invented laws to protect them and ourselves.
Within a civilization we tend to try to make life as comfortable as possible. Not getting your right violated is a pretty big part of that.
Is it always wrong?
Killing another human in non-defense being most likely lead to complication after the murder about how to be accepted in society.

And even if killing was more acceptable, there is still the chance that someone else would murder someone you care about as revenge.
Religions differentiate killing and murder. Murder is killing without a legitimizing reason. Note that Abraham would sacrifice his son to God without hesitation, and that the Jews used to commit genocide by God's will.

Mayans ritually sacrificed a thousand people to Kukulkán each year. When the conquistadors started spreading Christianity, the remains of their people sometimes held ritual crucifictions out of misunderstanding, because they attempted to re-live the tradition in the a way they were used to doing it, and they found it completely legitimate.
Non-religious way eh?

Trivial views will be the only thing you find, as chemicals stimulates the emotions on a driven deep training of punishment and reward system. In short, it is bad to people as there is the threat of going to prison and a lost of freedoms for them or potential of it happening to them. Pretty shallow reasons why not to kill a person, but hey that is the atheist society for you.

Anyone that goes by the "Do onto others that you would want onto yourself!" clearly has not met a masochist who enjoys pain or a guy desiring death. :D
Would you like to be killed?