Skvattram Jan 4, 2013
How much money?
How much food?
How many dog lives?
How many rat lives?
How many fish lives?
How many spider lives?
etc.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Worth is subjective. From my point of view, my own life is priceless, and the life of most other human beings is nothing. If a person can't affect me in the slightest, for good or ill, they are worthless to me. Keep in mind, that's only under the assumption of a strong, thriving population. If the population were to rapidly decline, individual humans would become more valuable to me, as I need some of them to maintain society.

Further, an individual's worth can be raised or lowered by certain factors. My teachers, doctors, my friends and family members, for example, are all valuable to some degree, as they provide me with useful resources. Other people, like drug dealers, thieves, murderers, people who cut in front of me in the lunch line, people who compete with me for the final spot in a college course I'm trying to register for, etc., are of negative value, as I feel I would be better off if they were dead.

Now, in regards to your original post, it is very difficult to assign a definitive numerical value of any unit to these people, and I wouldn't even bother. All you need to know is there relative value compared to other people and compared to the negative value of any good or service they would ask of you in return. For example, if I saw my father about to get run over by a car, I'd probably risk injury to save him. Finishing college would likely be out of the question without his monetary support. On the other hand, if I saw my doctor or one of teachers about to get run over, I wouldn't bother. Their services, though valuable, are easily replaced. For a third example, if I saw my brother about to get run over, I wouldn't say anything, and inwardly celebrate when it did hit him, for he is a neurotic, drug-addled, lying thief, a shame to our family and a useless drain on our resources.
:iconknightfawkes:
KnightFawkes Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Only as much as the people around them are willing to put on it.
:iconvictorianexcentric:
VictorianExcentric Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This [link] is the ammunition for an AK-47, a weapon designed for waging war and killing people. So, as a society, we clearly are not putting a lot of value on the lives of others...esp. given how willing we are to sell this to whomever, whenever...

VE.
:iconkeydan:
Bullets are expensive. There are cheaper ways!
:iconvictorianexcentric:
VictorianExcentric Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, nothing beats punching your enemy into a pulp, when in comes down to getting all "up, close and personal". Plus it has that old arts and crafts side to it...And edge weapons, while more expensive, certainly have a high re-usability...one can use a good claymore for many many decapitations.

Nonetheless, the point I was trying to convey hopefully remains, the price of lethal weapons designed <solely> for war is rather telling at how much we truly value life.

VE.</solely>
:iconphanthom-art:
PhanThom-art Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
depends on what they did with their life. If they were a bad person their value would go down and vice versa. I guess it works like karma in a videogame. If you do good deeds you gain points and if you do bad deeds points get deducted.
But really good people would be priceless.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Whatever they earned in life. If they are a family man/woman then the adult left behind will have to make up the shortfall. I just pray that I got first.
:iconpaellamagi:
paellamagi Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Well in Burundi it's 82 dollars a year according to Wikipedia.
:iconel-and-noxi:
How much money? - On one side of a balance scale put a person, on the other side start putting paper bills. When the scale is in a perfect balance... that's the right value. Wanna try it? (but I keep the money) =P
How much food? - Around 140 pounds of meat with bones.
How many dog lives? - That's a tough one; I like dogs :confused:
How many rat lives? - One rat carrying an infected flea(s).
How many fish lives? - None. (you can't grill a human)
How many spider lives? - Spiders are superior to humans! (Had to say that, since there is a big hairy eight-legged monster observing me from the ceiling):fear:
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Jan 4, 2013   Digital Artist
A trillion dollar coin.
Add a Comment: