Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 150

If you could go back in time...?

:iconi11i1111i:
I11I1111I Jan 4, 2013  Professional Artist
i was wondering, people always ask "if you could go back in time and kill Hitler before the Holocaust would you do it?" i was wondering if there were any atheists or other religious folks out there who would go back in time and kill Jesus before all of this happened, how would you do it and why?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Christianity has had such a tremendous impact on Western history that without it, the modern era would be unrecognizable. America and the nations of Europe may never have formed, being replaced instead by different nations and cultures. America has a lot of problems, many of them thanks to Christianity, but it's still my home, and using time travel as irresponsibly as that would be like using a nuclear weapon to kill the cockroaches in your house.

Furthermore, I wouldn't go back in time and kill Hitler, either. As a result of that madman's useless pogroms, boatloads of those smart Jews came over to work for us. Albert Einstein's the most famous example, but I'm sure there are more. I also hear that WWII was very good for the U.S. economy, and if that's the case, deleting that whole event from history might put us in worse economic standing than we are now.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist
The game red alert touched on that idea. Someone went back and took out hitler while he was still young. The result was no nazi Germany to keep Stalin in check and Stalin starts WW2.
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Jan 6, 2013  Student Writer
It's isn't a good idea, time machines, as anyone can read on fictional books, is the way history got screwed up.
I11I1111I Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artist
They should make time machines illegal.
NecroRaevyn Jan 7, 2013  Student Writer
Yeah. History can be very weird if they don't. Though because history has already happened, we know what will happen if time travelers went wild.
I11I1111I Jan 8, 2013  Professional Artist
i suppose we could come up with a strict set of rules governing the practice, like Asimov did with robotics. Maybe we could send probes back through time that would let us see and hear the past as it happened, perhaps through some kind of 3-Dimensional interface that let us freely wander the time period... but, i guess, that could also lead to some kind of unforeseen Heisenbergian observational contamination tho.
NecroRaevyn Jan 9, 2013  Student Writer
Yeah. Like what those Harry Potter ministry of magic did with those time turners. Hide the technology, guard it like hell, allow academic use only.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Jan 6, 2013
As an atheist, that is the dumbest ass idea I've ever heard. Next you'll be asking if I'd go back in time to kill Santa Clause.

Going back in time to alter something sounds idiotic anyways because you can't control the outcome. I would go back in time to figure out where the fuck I left my expensive gloves though.
I11I1111I Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artist
It must sound like foolishness to you but killing Santa Clause would be easy i'd just have to visit Asia minor at some point between March 16, 270 & December 6, 346 and put a bullet in his head. I know that Atheist don't believe in Santa Clause but historians sure do.

Math and logic are wonderful resources to employ when trying to determine outcomes; but i do agree there are probably a few other things that i would use my Chronoship for.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Jan 6, 2013
I think it's safe to say, most of the world, atheist or not, doesn't believe in Santa Claus if we're talking about a fat bearded elf who flies around the world delivering toys for good children and lumps of coal for bad ones.

It's one thing to say there was some dude named Nicolas punching blasphemous bishops earning the title of a saint, but it's another thing to say you believe he became a flying magical fat man originating from Finnish fairy tales.
Add a Comment: