Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 49

What do you think about the statement "Only Death is real" taken as the philosophy of meta

:icongothicdarkness:
Gothicdarkness Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Writer
What do you think about the statement "Only Death is real" taken as the philosophy of extreme metal bands? Its true or not? And how that statement can change the view of life of the people tha follow the metal culture?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
If death would be real, but life wasn't, then we would have something that can die even though it has never lived.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
>philosophy of meta
>philosophy of extreme metal bands

Fuck you, internet. FUCK YOU. :facepalm:
Gothicdarkness Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   Writer
Sorry if my grammatical errors hurts your eyes, sorry
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
No way man, it's just that it looked like something about metaphysics from the outside. :XD:
:iconbargaoanms:
BargaoanMS Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I love metal but I must say, is a lot of theatricality around there. Being a tough guy in pink pajamas is hard so of course must be leather and chains and tattoos and death.
I don't think "Only Death is real" is meant to be a life statement (would be too ironic) so must be a way to collect in a single phrase the values of a culture. Is a brand!

Acknowledging your death may give you the push you need to live as you want, despite society's norms but if you push it too far would be as if trying to enjoy a party thinking you will play Russian roulette between drinks and dances.
Im agree with you, maybe I dont choose the rigth words to make my question, but what you say is pretty to much like what I think about that.
:iconbargaoanms:
BargaoanMS Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Then we agreed to... agreed...
:iconphanthom-art:
PhanThom-art Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
what mci021 and Bullet-Magnet said. Also it's just a stupid way to think, it just evokes depression and suicide.
Well, sorry for the late reply, I know is a dark view of things, but I dont think than is necessarily depressive or suicide
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
if you think death is real, then you are forced to conclude life is real too.
Of course, but I think is more like be conscious of your own finiteness
:iconrionx:
RiONX Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
i'm real... does that make me death?
No, but is make you part of it, soon or later
:iconrionx:
RiONX Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
i believe that in a way we are all connected to death, not just our own but to those of the people around us, as we are connected to their lives; our life is merely a step along a greater journey, one that reaches beyond what we think of as life, were are, in a way, life and death itself. As equally as there is no life or death.
:iconiriastar:
Iriastar Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
It's not true.

And what ~mci021 said.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
As something that cannot exist without its opposite, the claim for exclusivity here is logically impossible.
Sorry for the very late reply, Im think is most like try to say that all have and end, (for the living things, all finish in death) So, I dont think that really claim for exclusivity but also be conscious of the finiteness of life
:iconkaikaku:
kaikaku Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Taxes have to be real, too.
Hahahaha, I know
:iconmci021:
mci021 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I think a lot of extreme metal bands want to be more badass than they are, and they seem to be under the impression that being morbid all the time is the super highway to badass. In that context, it strikes me as a lot of bluster.
I think the most of the bands work in that way, that for sure, but I think that are bands that make work that ideas in their music with a little more serious intention (in the way than the try to express something) than only be badass
:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Unless you put a lot of stock into Rene Descartes, then no, that's a pretty insipid philosophical statement. Of course, even Descartes believed in himself, which would include at least life and death with it.
Talking of Descartes,what work of him you can recommended to start to read him? Im very interested in read his work.
:iconperibyss:
Peribyss Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Meditations on First Philosophy is still read today, I believe.
Thank you, you help is really appreciated.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
It's nonsensical. Death only means something contrasted to life, so if death is real then life must be also.

But I don't expect deep philosophizing from metal bands.
I think nobody expect deep philosophizing from metal bands, but some bands have very interesting things to say (I dont say that all metal is worth of listen, but a little amount of bands)
:iconzinc-tails:
Zinc-Tails Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I've been a pretty diehard metalhead for as long as I have been listing to music, but that statement smacks of "trying too hard to be extreme". Metal is about the music, any metalhead and decent metal band will tell you that.

From a philosophical standpoint...It's still a rather stupid phrase. Solipsistic dribble about an illusionary life with death being the only true reality. Bollocks, pure and simple.
Sorry for the late reply, I can see that the most people think in the same way. For me was very interesting to know your points of view. Thank you.
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
First time I've heard of it. Almost every extreme metal band I've listened to say "We just like making this music." They often tend to have secular humanistic outlooks, if they even bother to speak philosophically, which has no relation to what you're on about.

So I have no idea what the hell metal culture is. Maybe I'm just too mainstream for these people, but metal 'culture' to me consists of anyone, from students to lawyers to engineers to metalworkers with a plurality of background. So I'll say you're entirely wrong and I have no idea where you got such a ridiculous idea from.
Well, everybody have his own opinion, and is welcome, in the first place I want to know all your opinions, that the reason for the question I made.

I think you not wrong in what you said about the people than conform the metalheads. What you said its true. A lot of people from different backgrounds and ideas enter in the world of metal.

But when you said than I wrong, I dont understand very well... Im not make that statement, I want your opinion for that, but not anyone have a total truth, so I think no anyone have a total error... not me or you have an absolute truth about nothing, but anyway, thanks for your opinion its was very interesting and sorry for the late reply
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
well if you beilive that this world isn't real then dying would be like a slap in the face.
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
it would seem to imply that life is illusiory, which is a load of crap. death is one point on a wheel, no more real than any other.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist
I think it's silly, as most things in metal tend to be (and this is coming from a fan of metal).
Well, everyone have his own opinion and that its what I want to know, thanks for you opinion.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well not many have come back form death to say what a 'trip' it was.
I see death more like the final destiny and life more like the trip
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
And why would it only effect people who listen to metal?
I dont think only have effect only in people who listen metal, I made that question because is the part of my interest to know. For me that statement is true, and for me have effect in everyone no only to metal fans, is like if I say that gravity only have effect in the people who know the work of Newton
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
Then why say that then? You're the one who asked how it would specifically pertain to people who listen to metal. It serves no purpose.
Sorry for my late reply, the only purpose is to know your opinion and nothing more thats all
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Sounds like a twist on the adage "Nothing is certain except death and taxes" minus the taxes bit.
:iconmci021:
mci021 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
It's true. You can evade taxes. Death... not so much. She catches up with you eventually.
Well, maybe... I never thinking in that way, I never consider tha adage in the time Im wrote this, but in more specific way, what do you think about that?
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
It's pretty accurate in the sense I'm seeing it. If only death is real, it's because only death is reliable (everything dies eventually and there's tight limits to faking death) while everything else is deceptive.

On second thought, though, it sounds more like romanticizing death as some sort of ephemeral final high where only truth exists. There's potentially some accuracy in that, but it strikes me as more of an image/sound thing than an actual philosophy. People who think that for real are suicidal and under informed.
I agree with you, except in your final lines. I dont think that necesary people who think that are suicidal or underinformed, some people that trust in that statement, for the same reason that they believe that only death is real, and live have a time limit, want to fill their live with meaning and significance (I dont say that all that believe in that doing this actually, but I think like in everything, be exception to the rule)
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I think you're conflating the two interpretations. Psychologically speaking, you can't romanticize death without an underlying death wish if you understand it as a concept. I stand by my earlier opinion that it sounds more like an image thing than an actual metal philosophy.
Oh, its a very interesting point. Diverting a little the conversation, you think that some death wish come to the writters of old romantic and gothic novels in the way than you say than you can't romanticize death without an underlying death wish if you understand it as a concept? Oh, and sorry for my late reply
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Yes, or they were targeting the market that does.
Add a Comment: