psychology being passed off as philosophy?

I have more than one purpose in asking this question.

Is there any reason to uphold a common presupposition that we are more philosophically advanced now than we were 50 years ago?
And if it was universally established that we arent then is it possible to go back to the philosophical standards of the 50s and 60s?
would capitalism allow it to happen?

Is the world now philosophically bankrupt? just look at the worlds intellectual landscape,
Is there anything that can be called a philosophy or are people just a collection of advertisers psychological ploys?

We must be fit,beautiful and have a positive and outgoing personality, or else we are some sort of sub-standard failure?
This used not be the case, where has common decency gone?

Do we only wish to be beautiful because the sellers of beauty products tell us we should be?
Is much of our desire to be fit down to the fact that the sellers of low fat products tell us we will die if we dont lose the weight?

Is art(advertising)imitating life or is life imitating art(advertising)
Does advertising mirror life or does life mirror advertising(and the psychology that goes with it).

And most worryingly, does the psychology that goes into getting us to buy even consider our happiness at all,
is it fair to accuse the makers of beauty products for all the ugly people in the world and by extension can they be blamed for all the unhappiness "ugly" people feel.

Lastly,how preoccupied do unhappy people get with the source of their unhappiness? shouldnt they be more concerned with proper thought? so by extension does advertising actually slow peoples intellectual progress?

Like i said at the start, i've more than one reason for asking.
Comments352
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Good points. Psychology is nothing but re-directing the stray individual back into society. It never aims to define how the norms in the society should be. Hence the difference between psychology and psychiatry (psychology stopped explaining what morality is good for the biological health)

Philosophy at least tried to set these rules and well, to think upon it. Psy replaced everything with its egocentric megalomania (psychology as a virtual person)
well there is a need because some people need help,
But theres a lot of "pop" psychology and this is really bad.

"It never aims to define how the norms in the society should be." -- i disagree, i think people abuse it a lot. It has been used by people like kinsey et al.

I'm personally of the belief that everything should be kept outside the head as much as possible.
"Greed is good."
Gives me a pain in the belly.
I usually find the opposite to be true.
i'm not suprised
A judgement of my character or of general humanity and their belief that any rather unfounded philosophical conception of the human mind passes for psychology?
A judgement on atheists of which you are one.
What has my atheistic view got to to with the fact that I believe there are far too many philosophical idiots who pass their ideas about how the human mind works off as psychology when there is no scientific basis or justification for their model? Or better still, scientific psychology directly contradicts the model they hold as true?

I admit to seeing a parallel, but understand: my remark is in response to your title. I have purposely ignored your OP.
Well atheists just say no to everything, i thought rightly or wrongly that that was what it was.

"I believe there are far too many philosophical idiots who pass their ideas about how the human mind works " -- you got that right, science isnt the way to try and understand people.
Oh right, you are an idiot.

Goodbye!
See: the cult of Scientology
The less i know about scientology the more it suits me.
Exactly. It's a horrible machination.
Filled with horrible people if whats said about it is to be believed.
Well, to address one point at least, psychology has never held the position that a negative and lazy/apathetic person is a 'sub-standard failure' or that something is necessarily wrong with them. Socially it may be viewed as such by many people, but not by psychology.
People who want you to buy their stuff think differently
I don't even know how to intelligently respond to this because it makes hardly ever sense in response to what I said.
I don't think that either philosophy or psychology are things that people today tend to show an overt interest in. That said, it's hard to know for sure how interest today really matches up with interest thousands or hundreds of years ago because the literature that remains from those periods doesn't necessarily reflect what everyday people thought about most of the time - it just reflects what people over time considered significant enough to pass on.

I could be wrong, but by psychology you also seem to mostly mean the manipulative kind used in subliminal advertising and politics and such rather than just a general interest in how the mind works. This goes toward supporting the observation however that psychology seems to generally just be employed for marketing purposes or for some other short term objective rather than for pursuing something more meaningful.

This could however just be a somewhat false impression since what is meaningful varies a lot from person to person - individual people may have a greater personal interest in philosophy than suspected because the comparison is between personal/private pursuits and those that are overtly manipulative and mass marketed. A person with philosophical interests doesn't make those interests known by advertising and trying to gain minions.
Very true, i must say i agree with a lot of what you just said.

I am a great believer that for the most part people are what they eat.
Obviously some things are the same across the board, across different cultures and times.

It just bothers me what harmful things people may be picking up without even realising it. Not that theres anything i'll ever be able to do about it.
did someone really say all you need in your life (to find all the answers) is god?

and did someone else really just reply dismissing god claiming god was nothing more than a made up fairy tail

This is a forum that's meant to support the free-thinking brain and your both just dismissing things you don't understand/ you don't want to believe in.

God made you with a free thinking brain!
if you don't use this to try and find out about the world and just sit on your lower posterior saying things like oh its gods plan or science says so i personally feel like your wasting this gift.

now if you always just trust god or science or philosophy your not really searching are you?

you always need to look at both sides of an argument to find the truth.

I see far to many people now days turn there back on science or religion because it doesn't make sense to them, so rather than taking the time to try and make sense of it they come up with a half baked answer of yep you guess it
"because god says so" or "science tells me"

they don't try to find the meaning in science or in there religion because they don't want to spend the time exploring the possibility and finding out exactly what they have been taught.
so we (humanity) ends up with old half baked out of date theory instead of anything new

so I also want to know (like the person who started this topic) where are all the free-thinkers and have we really lost the ability to "think for our-self"
There is no reason to look to a 'God'. Science and philosophy do just fine. They are the systems of logical processing of information which are needed to solve issues and questions in this world.

Until you can prove there is a God, there is no reason to consider it relevant.